Director of Monitoring, Evaluation, and Learning- Africa at Nature Conservancy
- Company: Nature Conservancy
- Location: Tanzania
- State: Arusha & Moshi Jobs
- Job type: Full-Time
- Job category: Administrative/Secretarial Jobs in Tanzania
Who We Are:
The Nature Conservancy’s mission is to protect the lands and waters upon which all life depends. As a science-based organization, we create innovative, on-the-ground solutions to our world’s toughest challenges so that we can create a world in which people and nature thrive. We’re rooted in our Mission and guided by our Values, which includes a Commitment to Diversity and Respect for People, Communities, and Cultures. Whether it’s career development, flexible schedules, or a rewarding mission, there’s lots of reasons to love life #insideTNC. Want a better insight to TNC? Check out our TNC Talent playlist on YouTube or on Glassdoor.
Our goal is to cultivate an inclusive work environment so that all our colleagues around the globe feel a sense of belonging, and that their unique contributions to our mission are valued. We know we’ll only achieve our Mission by hiring and engaging a diverse workforce that reflects the communities in which we work. In addition to the requirements in our postings, we recognize that people come with talent and experiences outside of a job. Diversity of experience and skills combined with passion is a key to innovation and a culture of inclusion! Please apply – we’d love to hear from you. To quote myriad TNC staff members, “you’ll join for our mission, and you’ll stay for our people.”
Since establishing the Africa Program in 2007, The Nature Conservancy’s vision in Africa is to work towards fostering a sustainable future for people and nature, partnering with indigenous communities across 55 million acres on the continent. Our efforts are firmly rooted in people, leveraging scientific and technical expertise as we collaborate with governments and organizations to conserve and enhance Africa’s shared resources in the 9 countries we operate.
TNC’s work in Africa entails three key pillars: securing ownership rights to lands and resources for indigenous people, strengthening leadership and resource management, and helping communities value nature through a holistic appreciation of its benefits while increasing revenue streams for conservation efforts and socio-economic development. Together with our partners, we are witnessing critical milestones in integrated land and fisheries management, ocean and source water protection, energy development, and sustainable food production, working together and strengthening our resolve in tackling global challenges such as climate change and habitat and biodiversity loss that stand to adversely impact the nearly 1.4 billion people who share Africa.
TNC Africa’s Monitoring, Evaluation, and Learning approach values science, reliable and valid data, baselines and endlines, and tracking key performance indicators to inform the adaptive management of implementation activities.
What We Can Achieve Together:
This position provides leadership for TNC Africa’s Monitoring, Evaluation, and Learning (MEL) activities. Much of the work involves helping MEL colleagues in the region solve problems in complex situations. The position is equal parts hands-on helping and advising on MEL. Up to 50% of the time will be travel within Africa to help with MEL challenges and provide technical support. The Director of Monitoring, Evaluation, and Learning reports to the TNC Africa Conservation Director.
We’re Looking for You:
You will have the opportunity to work in some of the most important places for biodiversity in Africa, visit stunningly beautiful areas, meet with local people, and share amazing times with colleagues in the field. You will be working in the Africa region of TNC where 96% of staff say they would recommend TNC as a great place to work, and the 10-year staff retention rate is 90%. You will be working with a team of 10+ MEL professionals who have made TNC Africa a leader in MEL work internally and externally. You will be at the forefront of MEL work at TNC and have the opportunity to influence MEL practices throughout the organization. This position can be based in any of the African countries where TNC has an office, but you must already have the right to work in the country, and there is no relocation assistance provided.
Roles and Responsibilities
- MEL startup for a new project:
- Creating a Theory of Change
- Drafting a MEL Plan
- Recruiting MEL staff
- Training and backstopping new MEL staff
- Helping establish data collection systems
- Conducting data analysis
- Creating online dashboards of key performance indicators for a project
- Designing ecological and socioeconomic impact assessments with control groups
- Recruiting and supervising consultancies for household surveys, focus group discussions, and key informant interviews
- Organizing periodic Pause, Reflect and Adjust meetings for major projects to foster the adaptive management of project activities
- Liaising with MEL professionals inside and outside the organization
- Other activities:
- Reviewing new project proposals to ensure MEL is built into the budget and design from the start
- Backstopping the tri-annual program reviews and bi-annual strategy reviews in the region
- Ensuring the Hub project and strategy records for Africa are kept up-to-date
- Working with partner organizations to help solve MEL challenges
What You’ll Bring:
- Master’s Degree in science related field and 6 years related experience or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Detailed technical knowledge of Monitoring Evaluation & Learning
- Cross-cultural work experience
- Experience working with partner organizations on Monitoring Evaluation & Learning
- Experience doing data analysis, report writing, and presentations to large groups of people
- Well-developed problem-solving skills
- A coaching/mentoring approach that values diversity and feedback
- Multi-language skills and multi-cultural or cross-cultural experience appreciated.
- PhD preferred and 3-5 years related experience considered.
- Strong knowledge of common software applications.
- Ability to diagnose complex problems and identify solutions.
- Excellent communication skills, written, spoken and graphical.
- Ability to operate within budget guidelines to ensure sound financial performance.
- Advanced Excel and Word skills
- Attention to detail
- Training experience
What We Bring:
Since 1951, The Nature Conservancy has been doing work you can believe in protecting the lands and waters that all life depends on. Through grassroots action, TNC has grown to become one of the most effective and wide-reaching environmental organizations in the world. Thanks to more than 1 million members, over 400 scientists, and the dedicated efforts of our diverse staff, we impact conservation throughout the world!
The Nature Conservancy offers a competitive, comprehensive benefits package including health care benefits, flexible spending accounts, Retirement Pension Stipend, parental leave, accrued paid time off, life insurance, disability coverage, employee assistance program, and other life and work wellbeing benefits. Learn more about our benefits at the Culture Tab on nature.org/careers.
We’re proud to offer a work environment that is supportive of the health, wellbeing, and flexibility needs of the people we employ!
This description is not designed to be a complete list of all duties and responsibilities required for this job.
The Nature Conservancy is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Our commitment to diversity includes the recognition that our conservation mission is best advanced by the leadership and contributions of people of diverse backgrounds, beliefs, and cultures. Recruiting and mentoring staff to create an inclusive organization that reflects our global character is a priority and we encourage applicants from all cultures, races, colors, religions, sexes, national or regional origins, ages, disability status, sexual orientations, gender identities, military, protected veteran status or other status protected by law.
TNC is committed to offering accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities and disabled veterans in our job application process. If you need assistance or an accommodation due to a disability, please send a note to [email protected] with Request for Accommodation in the subject line.
Method of ApplicationSubmit your CV and Application on Company Website : Click Here
Closing Date : 28th February, 2023.
Dont Miss Latest Jobs In Tanzania. Subscribe Today. CLICK HERE