Digital journalist, broadcasting for change at BBC Media Action
- Company: BBC Media Action
- Location: Tanzania
- State: Dar Es Salaam Jobs
- Job type: Full-Time
- Job category: IT/Telecom Jobs in Tanzania
Job title: Digital journalist, broadcasting for change
Location: Dar es Salaam, Tanzania
Reports to: Senior producer
Duration: 12 months, with anticipated start date August 2022
Special requirements: The right to live and work in Tanzania. Fluent in English and Swahili with ability to write reports and scripts in these languages.
BBC Media Action:
BBC Media Action is the BBC’s international development organisation, and we believe in the power of media and communication for good. We work in more than 20 countries around the world, supporting the independent media essential to democracy and development. Each year our projects and programmes reach over 100 million people facing poverty, inequality and insecurity with information they can trust, helping to improve health, bridge divides, challenge prejudice, and save and change lives. We follow the editorial standards and values of the BBC, but we rely on funding from donors and partners to carry out our work.
Reporting to the senior producer, the digital journalist will be responsible for creating innovative digital content, ensuring that our online output is of the highest creative and editorial standards and serves the needs of our diverse young audiences.
The successful candidate will be expected to come up with creative story ideas and treatments for ‘Broadcasting for Change’ (B4C) social media platforms. They will also be expected to stay up to date with new technologies, be willing to experiment with new formats and have ideas for ways in which the project can remain at the forefront of online content creation.
The digital journalist is directly responsible for managing all the project’s online accounts, including Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, YouTube and Soundcloud. The role requires strong editorial skills and a firm grasp of Tanzania’s online content regulations.
The successful candidate will be expected to work independently to a high standard and be capable of making decisions about contents and formats without supervision.
Main duties and responsibilities:
- Developing and pitching creative digital story ideas
- Producing digital stories from the field
- Creating and delivering high-quality video and pictures for original digital content
- Liaising with producers, research and project staff in content planning meetings and production
- Checking digital content prior to publication to ensure it is accurate, legally sound and complies with the BBC’s editorial standards and child protection policy
- Filming and editing still photos and video
- Attending events for reporting purposes as assigned
- Supporting young professionals to pitch stories and create content for Niambie social media channels
- Travelling outside Dar to gather content and support the radio production team
- Working with radio producers to find and utilise the most effective ways of cross-promoting stories
- Monitoring B4C’s social media platforms and escalating potential editorial/comment moderation issues where appropriate
- Maintaining a logical workflow and sticking to deadlines
- Keeping across new and emerging social media trends and sharing new ideas with the production team and management
- Maintaining a digital library that can be used across productions and accessed by other teams in the organisation
- Shooting and editing videos and photographs for use on Niambie online platforms
- Sharing social media comments and insights with the research team
- Understand and comply with BBC Media Action’s Safeguarding Policy and the staff Code of Conduct
- Participate in relevant mandatory training on safeguarding and respect at work
- Report any safeguarding concerns immediately, either to the Country Director, or using the Whistleblowing Policy.
Required skills, knowledge, and experience:
- Degree or diploma in journalism, mass communication or related field
- Minimum of three years’ experience in online content gathering, journalism or mass communication – experience of creating content for social media is desirable
- Knowledge of digital content production and sound editorial judgment
- Excellent English and Swahili writing skills
- Ability to use camera equipment and video editing software preferred
- A good understanding of audio and visual production and post-production techniques
- Creative flair, with strong writing skills and the ability to structure a narrative
- A willingness to experiment with new technologies to create compelling, high-quality digital content with minimal supervision
- Experience of working independently and within a team
- A good understanding of managing an online production process to deliver content on time and to budget
- Highly organised, with a proven ability to prioritise, manage a workload and deadlines and maintain attention to detail
- Experience working in development or related setting
- Proven ability to multitask.
Closing date: 3 July 2022
Method of Application
Candidates should send their CV and a cover letter (in English, PDF or Microsoft Word format) which outlines their experience and suitability for the role by email to: [email protected] – please include the title of the position applied for in the subject line and send by 5pm on 3 July 2022.
Only applicants with separate cover letter will be considered. Please do not send certificates or other attachments. Only shortlisted candidates will be notified. BBC Media Action is an equal opportunity employer. Persons with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
The role may involve working with groups of vulnerable children and adults. For the successful candidate, mandatory training will be provided on BBC Media Action’s safeguarding policy and staff code of conduct. A police background check may form part of the recruitment process. BBC Media Action operates a zero-tolerance policy concerning all forms of abuse and exploitation of vulnerable people.
BBC Media Action has zero tolerance for fraud and exploitation. If you have any concerns, please share with us through [email protected]