Digital Communications Officer – Africa-based (Anticipatory) at IMPACT Transforming Natural Resource Management
- Company: IMPACT Transforming Natural Resource Management
- Location: Tanzania
- State: Dar Es Salaam Jobs
- Job type: Full-Time
- Job category: Administrative/Secretarial Jobs in Tanzania
Location: Preference for candidates based in Africa’s Great Lakes region, but open to candidates in IMPACT’s other African countries of operation (Burkina Faso, Côte d’Ivoire, Mali, Zimbabwe) or working remotely from elsewhere on the continent
Closing Date: November 5, 2023
IMPACT is seeking a Digital Communications Officer to support an anticipated four-year project which aims to contribute to peace and security while improving mineral governance in Africa’s Great Lakes region. The project’s areas of focus:
- improved government controls of artisanal mining resources including environmental and social impacts with a particular attention to women and youth;
- the adoption by in-region stakeholders of strategies and best practice models relating to artisanal gold export regimes; and,
- improved monitoring of commodity and data flows in alignment with national, regional and international market standards, regulations and laws.
The Digital Communications Officer will manage storytelling about the project, and its results for regional and international audiences. They will manage IMPACT’s online channels, including content creation, audience engagement, and brand visibility. We are looking for a strong English writer and creative storyteller who can manage digital channels and create simple and compelling social media graphics aligned with brand guidelines. They are a self-starter who can work with colleagues in cross-cultural and multi-lingual environments to identify and produce content. The Digital Communications Officer works under the direct supervision of the Communications Director based in Ottawa. This position is contingent upon successful award of the project.
The Digital Communications Officer manages external communications on the Great Lakes region for international audiences, highlighting evidence-based progress and impact. They implement IMPACT’s editorial calendar, coordinating with the project team to develop content. They manage IMPACT’s digital assets including social media channels, website, and newsletter to produce effective and high-quality content to increase engagement, brand visibility, and contribute towards the project’s strategic goals. The Digital Communications Officer supports marketing, media relations, and publishing as part of the overall project communication strategy.
Editorial Calendar and Content Development
- In collaboration with Communications Director, develop and implement a digital communications strategy and editorial calendar.
- Write compelling, high-quality content for various channels such as IMPACT’s website, newsletter, social media, multimedia, or publications that highlight our work and results.
- Liaise with IMPACT staff and project team to identify and produce content that is engaging and relatable for diverse audiences.
- Monitor thematic issue areas to identify opportunities for visibility, knowledge-sharing, and thought leadership.
- Design and produce graphics (via Canva or other design software) that distill complex information into a digestible and visual medium.
- Support the production and dissemination of multimedia storytelling opportunities.
Social Media and Website
- Manage social media channels for IMPACT ensuring accuracy, engagement, and reflecting brand guidelines.
- Post created or curated content on social media, update the website, and produce the newsletter.
- Maintain the website, ensuring its content, technical features, and security is up to date.
- Manage and produce any online events aligned with strategic goals such as webinars.
- Analyze metrics to inform the digital strategy, as well as provide key learnings and actionable recommendations to achieve overall goals.
Support to Communications Department
- Support the content creation and production of high-quality content including reports and marketing products including through writing, editing, or production of simple graphics.
- Liaise with external consultants such as translators, graphic designers, or other creative consultants.
- Support media relations.
Required Qualifications & Skills
Candidates are asked to clearly demonstrate in their applications how they meet the requirements of the position.
Essential qualifications, expertise, and skills:
- Undergraduate degree or equivalent in Communications, Journalism or Public Relations.
- At least 4 years of relevant experience in a communications role, with demonstrated experience creating content international audiences.
- Experience working for an international non-profit or development preferred.
- Excellent English writing skills, with the ability to write high quality copy for various audiences.
- Meticulous copy-editing skills with the ability to edit to brand guidelines.
- Ability to communicate with colleagues in both English and French in cross-cultural environments to develop storytelling content.
- Proven experience managing social media channels such as Twitter, Facebook, and LinkedIn for a brand, preferably a non-profit.
- Knowledge of WordPress and Google Analytics.
- Proven experience creating simple, visual social media graphics with digital design tools such as Canva and/or Adobe Suite.
- Experience producing webinars and other online events is an asset.
- Strong computer skills.
- Committed to ensuring communications built on respect and dignity when working with vulnerable populations.
- Creative, with a willingness to innovate.
- Excellent attention to detail, problem solving, and judgement.
- Self-starter, able to work independently, respect deadlines with minimal supervision.
- Excellent organizational, planning and time management skills, with the ability to multitask.
- Team player able to work with colleagues at all levels and in cross-cultural environments.
- Intuitive and pro-active with the ability to identify potential issues, needs, threats, or opportunities and brings these to the attention of Senior Management or relevant personnel.
- Ability to adapt to and work effectively on complex issues in a fast-paced environment.
IMPACT transforms how natural resources are managed in areas where security and human rights are at risk. We investigate and develop approaches for natural resources to improve security, development, and equality. We are an independent non-profit, collaborating with local partners for lasting change.
IMPACT is headquartered in Ottawa, Canada and has offices in Democratic Republic of Congo, Uganda, and Côte d’Ivoire, as well as projects in Burkina Faso, Mali, and Zimbabwe. Learn more at www.impacttransform.org
Method of ApplicationSend the following information by email to [email protected] :
- A cover letter explaining your interest in the position
- Your curriculum vitae
- In your application please share the following:
- Share the link to a Tweet that you’ve sent from a brand account that you are proud of.
- In 280 characters or less, explain why you chose that Tweet.
- Share the link to a social media graphic that you created that you are proud of.
- Share a link to a portfolio OR attach 3 written samples of your work, maximum 2 pages each. Samples can include blog posts, press releases, posters, or other public facing materials. Please no academic writing.