Designated Immigration Officer (DIO) at Canadian Embassy
- Company: Canadian Embassy
- Location: Tanzania
- State: Dar Es Salaam Jobs
- Job type: Full-Time
- Job category: Administrative/Secretarial Jobs in Tanzania
Vacancy type: Indeterminate
Under the general direction of a Canada based manager, the designated immigration officer implements immigration policy and objectives, assesses temporary and permanent resident applications, conducts interviews as needed, prevents the travel to Canada of individuals in possession of fraudulent or fraudulently obtained documents, supervises local staff, represents the migration program in contact with the general public, receives local officials, suppliers and international representatives, conducts research and completes reports and statistical information, and completes other duties as required.
The selected candidate will join the team as LE-O1 and, following rigorous training as well as successful completion of a course in Canada (or done remotely with a trainer based in Canada), he/she will be granted full decision-making authority and will be required to work independently, completing a wide range of complex tasks at the LE-O2 level. The successful candidate will be required to travel within Tanzania and neighbouring countries to undertake immigration interview trips, draft reports, liaise with stakeholders, conduct program integrity verifications, and lead promotion and recruitment activities.
Candidates will initially be screened against the Essential Qualifications relating to education, experience and language and their response to the French eligibility question under “How to Apply” (see below). Candidates must clearly demonstrate in their cover letter and CV how they meet each of these essential qualifications. Applications which do not include the requested documents or information in the CV or cover letter will be rejected.
Undergraduate university degree (minimum of three years of study) from a recognized university or post-secondary institution.
• Bilingual (English/French), including excellent* professional-level writing, editing, and speaking capabilities in English, and advanced** professional-level writing, editing, and speaking capabilities in French;
Note: If you are unable to work in French, please do not apply. The ability to work in French will be tested.
*Being able to express oneself spontaneously, fluently, in a precise way and to be able to distinguish fine nuances of meaning in relation to complex subjects.
**Being able to express oneself comfortably, and produce clear, well-structured text with few errors.
• A minimum of three (3) years of cumulative work experience in an administrative or officer position in government, Embassy, High Commission, Consulate, a UN agency, international non-governmental organization, or law firm;
• A minimum of two (2) years of work experience in reviewing, analyzing, and/or applying policies, rules, regulations, or legislation and making recommendations;
• Experience in writing reports:
• Experience using a computer, word processing and spreadsheet software, electronic mail and other web-based applications in an office environment;
• Experience working with clients, including the delivery of courteous and effective in-person or electronic service.
The Rated Requirements relating to knowledge, abilities and competencies will also be assessed. Methods of assessment may include, but are not limited to, a written examination, an oral interview, role-play, practical tests, presentations and/or psychometric assessment.
• Knowledge of Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada’s (IRCC) mandate https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/mandate.html;
• Knowledge of regional migration trends and socio-economic conditions in the area covered by the Dar es Salaam Migration office.
• Ability to analyze and interpret information and problems, conduct research, identify key variables, and make logical decisions;
• Ability to work under pressure and with changing or conflicting priorities with a results-based orientation;
• Ability to plan work, direct and supervise employees;
• Ability to use Microsoft Office applications and to navigate the Internet;
• Ability to follow instructions and be attentive to detail;
• Effective interactive communication;
• Teamwork and collaboration;
• Adaptability and flexibility;
• Recognition of the importance and application of Values and Ethics https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/transparency/code-conduct.html
Preference may be given to candidates who meet the asset qualifications. Where applicable, candidates must clearly demonstrate how they meet the asset qualifications in their cover letter and CV.
• A working knowledge of local languages in Burundi, Comoros, Rwanda, Seychelles, Tanzania, Uganda, and Zambia.
• Previous work experience with Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) either domestically or overseas.
• Experience in migration and refugee affairs.
• Full-time basis contract 37.5 hours per week;
• Working hours: from 7:30 to 16:00 (Mondays to Thursdays) and from 7:30 to 13:00 on Fridays;
• Ability to work paid overtime, including on weekends, as needed;
• Work in high pressure environment
• Travel in Tanzania and abroad, as required.
• Before an offer of employment can be made, candidates must provide a local address as proof of residence in the specific city, region or country so that if selected, it will appear on the offer letter;
• Obtain and maintain a reliability rating (security clearance) from the Government of Canada covering the entire employment period. This includes a criminal and credit background check;
• Have a valid passport;
• The selected candidate must obtain a designation as an immigration officer under the instrument of delegation of Immigration, and Refugees and Citizenship Canada within the first 24 months (approximately) of employment.
Area of selection:
Note: Due to Covid-19, you may experience some delay in the recruitment process. We are working hard to minimize any disruption. You may find more information in the sections below.
Method of ApplicationSubmit your CV and Application on Company Website : Click Here
Closing Date : 31st August, 2021.