Deputy Director at D-tree International
- Company: D-tree International
- Location: Tanzania
- State: Dar Es Salaam Jobs
- Job type: Full-Time
- Job category: Administrative/Secretarial Jobs in Tanzania
Deputy Director, Mainland Tanzania
Reports to: Mainland Tanzania Director
Location: Dar es Salaam, Tanzania
Start Date: April 2023
Who we are
D-tree International is a global digital health organization dedicated to ensuring that everyone has access to high-quality primary healthcare in underserved areas. We do this by working with governments to design, build and deploy digital tools for frontline health workers that improve their ability to deliver high-quality, evidence-based care. D-tree engages with governments to develop a shared vision for the potential of digital health, demonstrates the effectiveness of digital systems to improve health outcomes, and accompanies governments to scale these digital systems nationally and institutionalize them within their broader health systems.
D-tree is among the most experienced digital health partners in Tanzania, having worked with the government and multiple NGO partners since 2008 on a wide range of digital health programs focused on improving the quality of healthcare delivery. We are currently collaborating with the Tanzanian government on a digitally-enabled primary health care program in Kibaha, which has gained significant interest and is poised to strengthen a number of government digital health systems in Tanzania. We are also serving as the digital health partner in a large-scale community health TB/HIV program and have a growing portfolio of work around digitally-enabled, community-based Early Child Development (ECD) services. As our portfolio in the digital community health space continues to grow, we have an opportunity to expand our engagement with the national government to serve as a key digital health partner for strengthening primary health care services. This is an exciting opportunity to help deepen and expand our work and impact.
Who you are
We are seeking a full-time motivated leader who is willing to wear multiple hats and do what it takes to make our programs and team succeed. This is a dynamic and challenging role requiring an individual with experience managing and building capacity of a large team and managing a complex program portfolio. You are someone who is just as comfortable motivating team members and creating a positive office environment as you are managing budgets and work plans across multiple funders. You have
strong work ethic and are very proactive, with the ability to see the big picture as well as excellent attention to detail. You are passionate about building the capacity of staff and supporting managers to effectively manage projects and supervise others.
What you will do
The Deputy Director will be responsible for ensuring that all projects in Mainland Tanzania are planned and implemented at a high quality, within scope, schedule, and budget. You will work closely with the Program Managers to develop project objectives and work plans, and then oversee the implementation of projects according to those plans. You will oversee the portfolio budget and coordinate financial management activities (including forecasting and re-budgeting based on changing project needs). Together with the Senior Management Team and Program Managers, you will liaise with the government, donors, and other stakeholders to keep them abreast of project progress, and draft donor progress reports. Specific responsibilities include:
Personnel Leadership and Management (40% LOE)
Manage Program Managers who are leading project implementation. Ensure that Mainland Tanzania Program Managers are high performers individually and collectively—collaborating as a cohesive unit, driving the Tanzania team to successful program implementation and growth.
- Together with the Country Director, foster a positive, collaborative and effective environment in which all staff feel empowered, energized, supported and aligned with program and organizational goals
- Ensure teams are on track to meet performance goals (including setting team and individual objectives and goals that help achieve program success)
- Support capacity building of Program Managers to further develop technical program management and leadership skills
- Support Program Managers to take on leadership roles, effectively supervise their teams, and be accountable for program outcomes and work in a coordinated way across units • Provide technical mentoring, coaching, and support to Program Managers and staff through regular meetings, in-person support, and identification of relevant professional development and learning opportunities
- Support strong cohesion among Program Managers and develop strong structures for collaboration and communication across functional areas
- Directly supervise several staff, including:
o Approving staff timesheets
o Approving advances and expenses
o Conducting staff performance reviews
o Supporting staff to develop Objectives and Key Results (OKRs) and establish performance action plans where necessary
- Serve as a member of Tanzania Mainland’s senior management team to contribute to decision making and strategy and ensure that the Mainland program work plans are aligned with the organization’s direction.
- Support recruitment of key staff for country programs
Program Quality (40% LOE)
Be accountable for the success of D-tree’s Mainland Tanzania program portfolio, ensuring that D-tree is implementing high quality, efficient programs that meet donor and D-tree objectives and set the program up for future growth:
- Program oversight
o Provide strategic, technical, and programmatic leadership and support to country program, technical and operations staff
o Ensure team has a high quality workplan that reflects our strategy and that team is on track in executing activities and completing milestones
o Facilitate coordination between Program; Monitoring, Evaluation, Learning, and Research (MELR); Technology (digital); and Finance and Operations units, including joint financial and programmatic planning, with the objective of improving the quality of programs and their impact on people’s lives
o Together with the Mainland Tanzania Program Managers, set and refine program strategies, with a focus on health systems strengthening and building local capacity • Reporting and Dissemination
o Coordinate and guide development of programmatic reports and analyses for donors and ensure the timely submission of all reports
o Stay abreast of progress made on program objectives; ensure staff and partners are kept on track and informed of progress and challenges
o Together with D-tree’s Communications Manager, generate content for external communications aligned with D-tree’s communications strategy
o Represent D-tree’s interests and present progress, achievements and lessons learned on the Mainland Tanzania program to key stakeholders in public and professional forums, including national and international conferences
- Partnerships and growth
o Serve as the technical point of contact for donors and partners in collaboration with the Senior Technical Advisor
o Collaborate with the Mainland Tanzania Director and team to engage the Government of Tanzania and ensure consistent alignment of our programs with the Tanzania health system and government priorities. Lead and/or support program-related government engagement activities as needed.
o Support the Mainland Tanzania Director to set strategic direction for the portfolio; iterate and expand existing programs; and, contribute to funding proposals that move the organization towards achievement of D-tree’s 5-year strategic plan
Financial and Operations Management and Compliance (20% LOE) Ensure that the Mainland Tanzania portfolio is efficiently and effectively implemented, while remaining compliant with D-tree organizational and donor requirements:
- Together with the Finance team, ensure integrity of mobile money account/s and bank accounts and coordinate the preparation of monthly cash requests to global office
- Oversee project budgeting, projections, and financial management together with Finance team and Program Managers
- With support from the Finance Manager, manage cross-portfolio budget across all funders and projects, including ensuring projections align with activities and staffing needs to meet program objectives and spending is on track
- Understand and contribute to a culture of compliance and ensure adherence to donor requirements and D-tree policies across diverse portfolio
- Be accountable for financial stewardship of donor funds and have working knowledge of budgets
- Minimum 6 years of work experience, with a digital health, primary health care, and/or health systems strengthening focus preferred
- Master’s degree in a relevant field (e.g. public health, global development) ● Minimum 2 years’ experience in managing, motivating, and mentoring/coaching a large team with diverse professional backgrounds and demonstrated success in cultivating a positive, empowering environment for all team members
- Minimum 2 years’ experience living in a low- or middle-income country (Tanzania or East Africa preferred)
- Strong project management skills
- Superior analytical skills; ability to think logically and rationally about problems and solution oriented
- Must be able to handle complex priorities, collaborate effectively with a distributed team, be persistent and work under tight deadlines with minimal supervision
- Excellent written and spoken English required; Swahili preferred
- Experience managing grants across multiple donors (such as UN agencies, US government, private foundations)
- Tanzania national preferred
87,750,000 TZS to 135,000,000 TZS gross annual salary inclusive of all cash compensation.
Note: Starting salaries typically fall in the lower half of the salary range; however, they are ultimately determined by the scope of the position, the candidate’s relevant experience, and internal equity.
Method of ApplicationSubmit your CV and Application on Company Website : Click Here
Closing Date : 28th February, 2023.
Dont Miss Latest Jobs In Tanzania. Subscribe Today. CLICK HERE