Customs Project Officer at East African Community
- Company: East African Community
- Location: Tanzania
- State: Arusha & Moshi Jobs
- Job type: Full-Time
- Job category: Customer Service Jobs in Tanzania
EAST AFRICAN COMMUNITY
East African Community (EAC) – the European Union (EU) CORE programme is financed under the 11th European Development Fund (EDF) and has an overall objective to support the deepening of the EAC regional economic integration, through advancing implementation of the Customs Union and the Common Market Protocols. The EU-EAC CORE Programme is a multi-donor Action, co-financed by the EU as well as by the EAC Secretariat. The EU-EAC CORE Programme will be implemented through two main implementation modalities: a) Indirect management with the EAC Secretariat, through procurement of services and supplies via an International Restricted Tender (IRT) procedure for Services; b) Indirect management with the EAC Secretariat, through Programme Estimates.
The programme covers 3 specific objectives as below:
The program focuses on moving towards a fully-fledged Customs Union, by supporting more robust ICT based data exchange protocols for the clearing of goods as well as related regional customs functions (like risk management and valuation), appropriate processes for the involvement of other agencies i.e. standards, health etc. as well as a stronger coordination and monitoring role of the EAC Secretariat.
Trade in Services
The program focuses on the Common Market, with the aim of providing new impetus to promoting free movement of services, a crucial building block for the creation of a well-functioning common market. Specifically, It aims to achieve improved implementation of agreed EAC commitments on liberalisation of services;
The program aims on reinforcing the capacity of the EAC Secretariat to deliver its overall mandate by improving project management and reinforcing the use of internationally accepted standards as per EU Pillars for entrusting third parties with budget implementation tasks.
The East African Community Secretariat seeks to recruit a highly motivated, result-driven, and qualified professional from citizens of the Republics of Burundi, Democratic Republic of Congo, Kenya, Rwanda, South Sudan, Uganda and the United Republic of Tanzania to fill the following position tenable at the EAC Secretariat in Arusha, Tanzania.
CUSTOMS PROJECT OFFICER FOR THE EU-EAC CORE PROGRAMME
(1 post) (REF: EAC/HR/2022-23/03)
ORGAN: EAC Secretariat
DEPARTMENT: Procedures and Facilitation
REPORTS TO: Director of Customs through the Principal Customs Officer Information Technology
DURATION: 4 year
DUTY STATION: Arusha, United Republic of Tanzania
MAIN PURPOSE OF THE JOB:
To support the Programme Coordinator with the implementation of the EU – EAC CORE programme, in relation to the management of the Customs component as well as to the overall CORE Programme management and coordination.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Support management of the Customs component
The staff will undertake the following activities:
- Liaise with, coordinate and support meetings and activities of the technical teams (EAC Secretariat, Partner States agencies and consultants) involved with the delivery of outputs for the Customs component
- Facilitate smooth post-implementation steps of Customs Interconnectivity Integration Solution and related systems and frameworks, including testing, acceptance/validation and sustainability
- Ensure timely mobilization of funds – under the Programme Estimate – for the implementation of the Customs component, in particular complementarity with activities implemented by the various service providers.
- Support planning of activities, monitor and report on Custom component activities
- Support CORE Programme coordination
The incumbent will support smooth set-up, coordination and advancement of horizontal processes for the overall programme (i.e. covering all components). This will include:
- Liaise with EAC staff involved with the CORE programme, in particular to ensure coordination with the Trade in Services component
- Coordinate preparation of joint annual CORE work programmes
- Monitor project progress (including via setting up a Monitoring and Evaluation plan and systems), set deadlines and problem resolution for the key components of the CORE Programme.
- Prepare regular consolidated progress reports on the implementation of the CORE Programme.
- Prepare periodic financial status reports for the CORE Programme estimate funds utilization in conjunction with the EAC Secretariat imprest (funds) administrators and accountants.
- Organize and facilitate meetings of the Steering committee CORE Programme to be conducted jointly by EAC Secretariat, Partner States and European Union (EU), as well as of programme’s Technical committee.
- Support programme visibility (including via setting up a Communication and Visibility plan)
- Ensure stakeholder satisfaction through regular communication of updates and feedback.
QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE:
- A Masters degree in the field of Economics, Law, Business Administration, International Trade or related field. Having a post graduate qualification in project management and planning is an added advantage.
- At least 10 years relevant experience particularly on customs, trade and regional integration with at least 5 years at senior level .
- Experience in working with similar organizations or institutions, as well as experience in project management and planning, will be an added advantage.
SKILLS AND COMPETENCES:
- Strong technical and analytical capabilities for analyzing customs and trade issues.
- Fluent in English. Knowledge of Kiswahili and French is desirable. Excellent oral, written and presentation skills.
- Excellent organizational skills, ability to handle multiple tasks without compromising quality and team spirit building skills.
- Computer literate with competency in the use of Microsoft Outlook and Office products such as Word, Excel, Power Point.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills; negotiation skills and ability to work harmoniously in a diverse environment.
TERMS AND CONDITIONS OF SERVICE
This is an EU-EAC CORE Programme position supported by European and is a non-established position for which contract terms are limited to four (4) years including a probation period of six months.
All candidates applying must have qualifications that are recognized by the relevant national accreditation body in their respective Partner State. This condition is applicable for locally and internationally attained qualifications.
Relevant Working Experience
Internship, training and apprenticeship will not be considered as relevant work experience.
The EAC is an equal opportunity employer; therefore, female candidates are particularly encouraged to apply. EAC will only respond to those candidates who strictly meet the set requirements.
Method of ApplicationInterested candidates who meet the qualification and experience requirements for the above mentioned position are advised to :
- Fill in the application form attached (download from here);
- attach their application letter, a detailed CV, Copies of certified academic certificates , and a copy of National Identity Card or Passport in PDF format scanned in one (1) file.
- Please quote the respective reference number on both the application letter and envelope.
- For electronic submission, please quote the respective reference number on the subject of the email and send to the address given below.
- indicate nationality and age;
- have the job reference number;
- have certified copies of their academic degrees and other professional Certificates;
- provide referees.
The Secretary General East African Community P. o Box 1096 Arusha – Tanzania. Tel: +255 27 2162100 Fax: +255 27 2162190 E-mail: [email protected] Website : www.eac.int