Country Representative at Reputable Company
- Company: Reputable Company
- Location: Tanzania
- State: Dar Es Salaam Jobs
- Job type: Full-Time
- Job category: Administrative/Secretarial Jobs in Tanzania
WISSAID is a Swiss foundation for development cooperation, working in 9 countries with partner organisations to fight hunger, poverty and inequality. SWISSAID has been active and supporting partner organisations in Tanzania since the 1970s. The current country programme 2019-2024 focusses on the following objectives:
- Improved sustainable rural livelihoods of smallholder farmers.
- Enhanced transparency and accountability in the extractive sector and increased responsible mining in the ASM sub-sector.
- Improved livelihood and leadership for women
For further information please see www.swissaid.ch/en/countries/tanzania
SWISSAID has a Coordination Office in Dar es Salaam and field offices in the regions of Lindi and Mtwara. The current team has 25 staff members plus 5 secondees and interns. The Management Committee, under the lead of the Country Representative, consists of the Senior Programme Officers, Monitoring and Evaluation Officer and the Programme Administrator. A Local Advisory Committee composed of national experts advises and supports the work of the Management Committee on matters of strategic importance.
Following SWISSAID’s global strategy and under the general supervision of the Tanzania Programme Manager in Switzerland, the Country Representative is responsible for achieving the objectives of the SWISSAID programme in Tanzania, and he/she represents SWISSAID’s interests in Tanzania towards the government, partner organisations and donors, and ensures SWISSAID’s presence as an effective and reliable development partner in the country.
Key responsibilities and duties as country representative
Overall management of the SWISSAID Country Programme
- Oversee and support annual Project Cycle Management (PCM) at the country programme and project levels, ensuring that SWISSAID’s key themes are addressed in a relevant manner.
- Oversee the implementation, analyse and anticipate challenges and propose adjustments as required.
- Ensure the timely and qualitatively adequate reporting of results and monitoring and evaluation data to headquarters and donors, elaborate compiled programme reports and (key performance) indicator-based reporting.
- Have overall responsibility for the financial control of the projects and mandates, review financial reporting and budget forecasts and provide technical support to ensure compliance.
- Maintain relations with governmental stakeholders and ensure compliance to all legal and regulatory requirements.
- Lead the development of the next country programme 2025+
Management of the coordination office and of human resources
- Lead the team by providing clear direction, addressing staff development, implementing performance appraisal and management. Coach and motivate team members through regular meetings, dialogue, feedback and mentoring.
- Support the Senior Programme Managers in their duties towards their sub-teams and areas of project responsibility, identifying training needs and support the professional development of team members.
- Regularly monitor and review compliance and adherence to safety and security, anti-corruption, and protection from sexual exploitation, abuse and harassment guidelines.
- Monitor the programme and project implementation environment, including security, political, environmental and personnel issues that may affect the implementation.
- Oversee the monitoring of contracts, provide recommendations on extensions, promotions, terminations and other amendments to contracts and lead local staff recruitment processes.
Partnerships and networking
- Establish and maintain good relationships with implementing partner organisations and support them in their organisational development if needed.
- Develop and maintain partnerships with other development organisations, international organisations, bilateral institutions, international NGOs, line ministries and key government offices,
- Promote and participate in networks, sector meetings, working groups, etc. on the thematic priorities of the SWISSAID Country Programme
Resource mobilisation and advocacy
- Actively engage in fundraising and write value propositions in collaboration with SWISSAID headquarters.
- Actively advance new donor partnerships at country level.
- Participate in advocacy and lobbying activities in the country, either indirectly together with partner organisations or directly on behalf of SWISSAID.
Cooperation with headquarters
- Regularly interact with the Programme Managers to plan and report programme and project progress.
- Actively participate in institutional processes at institutional global level (e.g. development of strategies and concepts, knowledge exchange meetings and communities of practice)
- Ensure contributions from the field to communication and fundraising, as well as to participation in global initiatives managed by headquarters.
Your ideal profile
To succeed in this position, you are an experienced development practitioner and an experienced and professional manager. As a leader you are mature and value based, with the commitment, business ethics, experience and tools to support your staff to succeed in their roles.
As Country Representative it is crucial that you have excellent ability to organise, plan, prioritise and communicate your work. For this you have great analytical skills and a strategic approach. You work innovatively, know how to identify opportunities and act upon them responsibly. You know what it takes to deliver results and make well-analysed decisions in a timely manner. You share SWISSAID’s vision and values.
Education and work experience
- Master’s degree in development cooperation, public administration, business management, or other social, legal or environmental/agricultural sciences.
- A minimum of 7 years’ relevant professional experience in international cooperation in governmental or non-governmental organizations, designing and implementing complex programs.
- A minimum of 3 years’ experience in a senior management position with responsibility for human and financial resources, program management and program administration.
- Experience in managing programmes in the areas of agroecology / organic agriculture and/or gender mainstreaming and/or in sustainable and responsible extractives is an advantage.
- Proven fundraising and networking skills.
- Work experience in Tanzania is an advantage.
- Full professional competence in written and verbal communication in English is essential
- Working knowledge of Swahili is an advantage, willingness to learn it is mandatory.
- Familiarity with standard program and data management tools, as well as results-based management and monitoring and evaluation approaches and tools.
- Good knowledge of Microsoft Word, Excel and PowerPoint. Proficient use of any other common ICT software and internet software.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
Terms and conditions
For this internationally recruited position, SWISSAID offers the selected candidate a long-term employment contract after a successful six months probation period. SWISSAID is looking for candidates interested to stay a minimum of 3 years in this position. Latest starting date is 1 June 2022.
SWISSAID values diversity in all areas of operations. We welcome qualified applications from all nationalities, genders, ethnicities and religious beliefs.
Method of Application
Applications (including letter of motivation and CV) should be sent by e-mail to [email protected]
Closing date: 19.01.2022
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted until 31.01.2022.