Country Finance and Operations Officer at CBM
- Company: CBM
- Location: Tanzania
- State: Dar Es Salaam Jobs
- Job type: Full-Time
- Job category: Accounting Jobs in Tanzania
CBM is an international Christian development organization, committed to improving the quality of life of people with disabilities in the world. CBM addresses disability as a cause and consequence of poverty, and works in partnership to create an inclusive society for all.
The job holder promotes, maintains strong internal controls processes and procedures used on financial and administrative resources are in compliance with CBM financial policies, standards and procedures, and with specific donor requirements and contracts, and with local external statutory requirements. The job holder is also expected to deliver timely reports to the organization and donors, working in liaison with the Programme team to support partners as may be required.
Responsible for administering efficient and effective finance and operations management of CBM Tanzania and ensuring consistent application of accounting principles and standards, observing CBM controls, timelines and compliance with regulatory requirements, tax policies and procedures.
Working in the CBM Tanzania Country Office, the incumbent will take responsibility for:
- Ensuring efficient and effective finance and operations practices for the CBM Tanzania Country Office.
- Ensuring that the Country Office and partners submit timely and quality Project Progress Reports as per agreed reporting schedule, annual audit and financial statement reports.
- Support the Finance Manager to build the capacity of partners in effective financial management in liaison with Programme Team and Regional Finance/Operations Department.
- Participate in preparing and managing the financial risk of the country office
- Prepare the Country Office payroll, and ensure tax calculations, social security and other statutory contribution are made in line with relevant CBM internal and national regulations
- Maintain internal accounting system and records, and ensure reliability and integrity of financial management information systems, documentation and reports.
- Monitor and support the petty cash system managed by the Administrative Officer
- Manage banking accounts and relationships with the bank (e.g. opening, operating and closing of bank accounts) as per CBM guidelines.
- Ensure that internal control procedures and donor regulations are adhered to for all cash and bank disbursements, receipts, transfers and include appropriate backup of supporting documentation.
- Observe compliance with in-country financial regulatory requirements including statutory accounts, audit, tax filing, social security contributions, etc. and work on other compliance matters with the relevant functions, including CBM in-country registration and annual reporting to relevant authorities.
- Participate in the procurement committees, ensure that any purchase, lease or sale of assets is done in accordance with procurement guidelines and receives the required approvals.
- Control and maintain a CBM country asset register and inventory, in line with CBM or donor requirements, as applicable. Plan and execute the asset verification on a quarterly basis and update the register. Report on any variances.
- Work with the Finance Manager to organize and manage the annual audit of Country Office accounts and prepare, manage and implement follow-up plans based on given recommendations, in close collaboration with the Finance Manager.
- Perform any other duties as assigned from time to time by the Finance Manager and Country Director
- To assist in creating, revising, updating and participate in monitoring financial related policies and procedures as directed by the Country Finance Manager, Country Director and Regional Hub Finance, Operations & Administration.
- To reconcile all ledgers, cash & banks and payroll to ensure that all transactions are accurately recorded and reported.
- To ensure that travel claims are well prepared and supported and prepare adjusting journals.
- To ensure the safe keeping of all cheque books, receipt books and cash vouchers.
- In direct liaison with the Finance Manager and Country Director to ensure proper cash flow management.
- Reconcile all ledgers, to ensure that all transactions are accurately recorded and reported.
- Support CBM Tanzania and Partner Budget Application Process by:
o Mentoring/training partners to use the templates;
o Reviewing submitted budgets;
o Compiling budget summaries;
o Providing budget notifications to the Programme Team for sharing with partners.
- In liaison with Programme Team and Finance Manager, ensure all partner savings are approved before re-allocation and re-utilization.
- With the support from the Finance Manager, monitor costs versus budget, bank balances, cash balances and asset purchases, with a view to advice on any arising financial issues with potential budget holder.
- Monitor whether partners’ financial implementation is done in accordance with CBM procedures and approved budget by conducting regular project visits in liaison with the Programme Team. Use findings to support partner capacity development to improve their internal controls.
- Support in tracking CBM Tanzania Programme budget call ups, expenditures and reporting.
Reviewing financial statements:
- Support the review of Partner Project Progress Report (PPR) and send to Finance Manager for verification.
- Submit timely and complete reports (including PPR, BVA) to the Finance Manager as per agreed timetable and in line with established reporting requirements.
- Review whether the projects’/partners’ Audit Reports (AR) and Management Letters (ML) are in compliance with CBM procedures and requirements; this includes:
o Participate in the development of Audit Terms of Reference including overseeing of the audit process.
o Follow up timely submission of AR and ML from partners and submit to Regional Office on due time line
o Review that the provided AR are in accordance with International and National Standards as well National Legislation.
o Participate in the review of the Partner’s audit findings and opinions of the current year and follow up whether the subsequent corrective actions were taken.
o Support the review of whether the previous year’s auditor’s findings and opinions are corrected or improved in the subsequent year.
- Review the correctness of projects’/partners’ CBM Annual Financial Statements (FS) against CBM Financial Manual and reconcile with AR; this includes:
o With the support from the Finance Manager, review CBM FS whether all the donor funds have been used/reported in accordance with approved CBM budget.
o Review whether previous year’s savings and current year’s reallocations of funds are utilized with prior approval of CBM.
o Review that all income and expenditures are reported on CBM FS clearly explained and reconciled with incomes and expenditures reported on AR.
o Review that closing balance reported on CBM FS is in conformance with the closing bank balance reported on the audit report.
- To comply with all safety and health procedures and requirements at CBM and, at all times ensure your own safety and health and that of other persons who may be affected by your acts or omissions at CBM
- Carry out your role-specific responsibility to safeguard children and adults at risk (as guided by CBM’s respective policies) in programs, and enforce this with any colleagues and partners you may oversee.
- Upon instruction by the superior(s) perform ad hoc activities which are either by their nature related to the normal duties or evolve from programme requirements. This may include, but is not limited to:
o Being available as a potential member of CBM Tanzania team of competence in the area of expertise.
- a) Organisational competencies
- Professional Knowledge
- Fostering Teamwork
- Attention to Communication
- Customer / Service Orientation
- Results Oriented
- b) Position Competencies
- Personal credibility
- Technical expertise
Education, Knowledge & Professional Experience
- Degree in Finance, Accounting, Business Administration and Management
- Professional qualifications in accounting an advantage (CPA, ACCA, CIMA)
- Certified member of the local board of accountancy in Tanzania
- A minimum of 5 years’ work experience in similar field, particularly with international NGOs or international development organization
- Perform all tasks in a confidential manner
- Ability to develop and maintain accounting systems which handle large amounts of information
- Ability to prioritize work, and meet deadlines
- Effective communication skills
- An effective team player who is also able to work independently
- Ability to integrate into a multi-cultural environment
- Reflects CBM values in daily work
- Ability and willingness to learn, and to pass on information / train as required
- English (professional proficiency)
- Local language – Kiswahili (professional proficiency advantageous)
- Advanced skills with MS Office
- Familiar with accounting packages
- Database management
- Knowledge in MS Navision and MS Share-point solutions an advantage
Method of ApplicationCandidates with the required profile and proven experiences, who meet these qualifications, are invited to submit
via e-mail, a meaningful letter of motivation, stating why he/she wishes to work for CBM, CV, three professional references and salary expectations to [email protected]
Application deadline: 16th November 2020 at 5:00 pm
The future job holder will adhere to CBM’s values and commits to CBM’s Code of Conduct and Safeguarding Policy.
CBM encourages Tanzanian nationals including persons with disabilities who meet the qualifications to apply for this position.
For further information about CBM’s inclusion policy, please visit our Resources & Publications section at http://www.cbm.org
Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.