Country Director Tanzania at Stichting Nederlandse Vrijwilligers (SNV)
- Company: Stichting Nederlandse Vrijwilligers (SNV)
- Location: Tanzania
- State: Dar Es Salaam Jobs
- Job type: Full-Time
- Job category: Administrative/Secretarial Jobs in Tanzania - NGO Jobs in Tanzania
- Dar es Salaam, Tanzania
- Contract type: International employment contract
SNV is a not-for-profit international development organisation that applies practical know-how to make a lasting difference in the lives of people living in poverty. We use our extensive and long-term in-country presence to apply and adapt our expertise in agriculture, energy and WASH to local contexts. SNV has over 1,250 team members in more than 25 countries in Asia, Africa and Latin America. We are proud to be a not-for-profit organisation that uses project financing to implement our mission. This requires us to work efficiently and to invest in operational excellence.
In its new Strategic Plan period (2019 – 2022), SNV is more explicitly endeavouring to contribute to large scale, sustainable impact through systems change – by strengthening institutions, kick-starting markets, leveraging financing and influencing policies.
For more information on our operations in Tanzania and SNV, visit our website: www.snv.org
The role of Country Director is critical for the success of SNV and reports directly to the Managing Director Countries. The Country Director Tanzania will spearhead the implementation of SNV’s strategy and operational engagement in the country.
SNV seeks a talented, entrepreneurial, results-oriented and experienced professional who will lead the Tanzania country team in realising the implementation of high-quality programmes in SNV’s sectors. SNV offers the successful candidate a challenging position in an evolving economic environment in the country.
The Country Director is responsible for leading and driving the country programme. It is a multi-faceted role, focused on securing adequate funding to sustain operations, upscale and strategically strengthen the country programme, while ensuring compliance and high-quality delivery of project results. It will require the Country Director to be well informed about national and international development priorities and steer the sectors in response to these priorities. The Country Director will forge partnerships and alliances between SNV and important national and international actors and stimulate collaboration for impact in SNV sectors. She/he will also be the face of SNV in the country and ensure its positive image and visibility.
The Country Director will lead, coach and support a team of professionals to perform at their best to meet and exceed our stakeholder’s expectations, both internally and externally. In addition, she/he will be a key member of SNV’s global extended management team, making meaningful contributions to help shape the future of SNV.
Duties and Responsibilities:
The selected candidate will be responsible for the following tasks:
- Strategic leadership of the program including multi-country efforts within the overall parameters of SNV’s global strategy;
- Business development to grow the country programme, ensure financial sustainability of SNV Tanzania and ensure a high-quality project design;
- Oversight and quality assurance of project implementation (including project director roles) ensuring the delivery of impact to the satisfaction of key stakeholders and compliance with SNV’s and the donor’s financial standards and monitoring protocols;
- Overall risk management for SNV in country including financial and compliance risk;
- Strong and supportive leadership and management of the country team: creating and nurturing an environment that supports high performance, learning and teamwork at all levels;
- Representation and profiling: building partnerships and maintaining excellent relationships with donors, partners, local governments, businesses, policy makers and other relevant stakeholders;
- Collaboration with other SNV countries to effectively exploit opportunities for synergy, deliver at scale (including multi-country projects), exchange knowledge and strengthen SNV’s position;
- Foster innovation of SNV products and services: facilitate learning, documentation and evidence-based knowledge development in collaboration with SNV’s global team and partners; ensure collaboration with renowned knowledge institutes and networks.
- Master’s degree or equivalent in a relevant discipline.
- At least 8 years of relevant management experience at the strategic level;
- Knowledge and understanding of the international development context and trends in SNV’s three sectors;
- Proven ability to mobilise resources from the public and private sector; familiarity with key donors and actors in SNV’s core sectors;
- Strong business and people management capabilities with a focus on results and entrepreneurial skills;
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills;
- Strong networking and positioning skills at multiple levels;
- Strong in implementation oversight;
- Proven track record in project management including familiarity with donor-funded project procedures and process and project cycle management;
- Ability to develop and manage relationships with government at national and local levels;
- Ability to coach, lead, stimulate and inspire professionals in a development context;
- Culturally aware, tactful and open-minded;
- Proficiency in both written and spoken English is required. Knowledge of Swahili would be an advantage;
- Experience of East or Southern Africa an advantage.
This is a full-time international position, based in Dar es Salaam with the successful candidate being contracted on a two-year basis with the possibility of renewal. Salary is competitive and commensurate with qualifications and experience. A pension plan, life and medical insurances are included in the benefits package which also includes housing and school fees. Desired start date for this position is Mid-May 2022.
SNV is a global organisation committed to bringing different people, ideas and perspectives together. We especially invite women to submit their application as we seek to increase the number of women in SNV leadership positions.
Key Steps in the Selection Process
- Please submit your application via SmartRecruiters on or before 03 April 2022 if you wish to be considered for this position. All information will be in the strictest confidence. We will revert to you as soon as feasible when we have reviewed your application.
- During the recruitment process, SNV will require your cooperation in completing a Competency Profile when long listed for this position.
- We will require that you provide us with full details of three people who are willing to act as a referee. We will not contact these referees without your explicit permission. Please note that reference checks may be conducted prior to your face-to-face interviews.
- Should SNV wish to proceed with your application, two interviews with the Selection Committee will take place.
- After your interviews with the Selection Committee, we will advise you of the Committee’s decision as soon as possible.
Method of ApplicationSubmit your CV and Application on Company Website : Click Here
Closing Date : 20th March , 2022.