Country Director at Medical Teams International
- Company: Medical Teams International
- Location: Tanzania
- State: Dar Es Salaam Jobs
- Job type: Full-Time
- Job category: Administrative/Secretarial Jobs in Tanzania
Country Director – Tanzania
Top of Form
Dar es Salaam – Tanzania,
Up to 25%
The Country Director contributes to the mission of the organization by leading and managing all aspects of Medical Teams’ work in-country; representing Medical Teams to key stakeholders; and overseeing the development and implementation of the Tanzania’s program strategy and quality. The Country Director will have wide responsibility for the overall development, management, and coordination of field operations, representing Medical Teams to partners and key stakeholders in country, providing financial oversight and accountability of Medical Teams resources and compliance with policies and procedures, and reporting regularly on program activities and finances. The Country Director will report to the Program Manager based at HQ, with the support of the Program Officer based at HQ.
Medical Teams International Calling:
Daring to love like Jesus, we boldly break barriers to health and restore wholeness in a hurting world.
Medical Teams International holds strict child and vulnerable adult safeguarding principles and a zero-tolerance policy for misconduct related to sexual harassment, exploitation and abuse in the workplace and other places where the organization’s activities are rendered. Parallel to technical competence, recruitment & selection, hiring decisions will give due emphasis to assessing candidates’ eligibility thorough background checks, police clearance, and professional reference check processes.
- Create and implement the country strategy and program vision in accordance with the organization’s multi-year plan;
- Champion capacity building and team empowerment toward the ultimate goal of a responsible transition and exit strategy;
- Incorporate organizational values into their team leadership
- Ensure all program objectives are completed on time and on budget;
- Develop annual operating budgets and work plans and ensures effective budget monitoring, reporting, and financial management;
- Ensure monitoring, evaluation, and learning occurs with regard to planned and implemented programs;
- Ensure project proposals and reports address the needs of the most vulnerable people, are submitted on time, and meet standards required by Headquarters, partners and external donors;
- Ensure all program goals, activities and personnel demonstrate commitment to national and international humanitarian frameworks and standard;
- Ensures strong community acceptance among the diverse populations being served and that assistance is delivered according to humanitarian principles
- Utilizes the Medical Teams’ Field Operations Manual to ensure policies and procedures are developed appropriately for the country program.
- Foster collaborative, transparent and accountable relationships to proactively, regularly and consistently represent Medical Teams to: host and foreign governments; humanitarian actors, including UN agencies and NGOs; faith-based and partner organizations, media and other relevant parties.
- Identify and participate in forums and meetings for the humanitarian community where there may be a strategic benefit to Medical Teams.
Local Resource Acquisition:
- Maintain an ongoing awareness of the operating environment in-country and identifies particular needs in the health sector that fit with our core competencies.
- Proactively facilitate the growth of Medical Teams programs in-country; maintaining strong links with donors; identifying funding opportunities; and leading the development of program-funding proposals;
- Lead, design, and analyze needs assessments and identified relevant programmatic interventions on behalf of Medical Teams.
- Create an environment for Medical Teams team members to be Courageous, Tenacious, Accountable, Not Alone, and Selfless.
- Develop a strong team that values accountability, 360-degree feedback, and transparency;
- Ensure that team members are effective, efficient, and diligent in meeting program goals;
- Create a team culture that is committed to cultural and racial diversity;
- Provides regular feedback to staff to ensure optimal performance;
- Create a team culture committed to cultural and racial diversity; and shared learning and professional development within the country team;
- Oversees effective human resource management including:
- Recruitment, onboarding, supervision, performance review, and professional development of local and expatriate personnel
- Compliance with local laws and organizational personnel policies
- Ensuring personnel plans reflect operational needs.
Safety and Security:
- Review and oversee implementation of effective safety and security management policies and practices in accordance with Global Safety and Security Policy; including robust information collection practices and systematic testing of safety and security plans.
- Manage major and critical incidences within the country program.
- Champion the importance of safety and security and incorporate safety and security considerations throughout all activities.
- Ensure Medical Teams is compliant with host-government’s laws, regulations and policies, and with Medical Teams’ internal policies and procedures.
- Ensure accountability is integrated into country strategies, program design, monitoring and evaluations, recruitment, staff onboarding, training and performance management, partnership agreements, and highlighted in reporting.
- Ensure Medical Teams maintains a constructive, transparent and independent relationship with the host-government, including ensuring Medical Teams has up-to-date registration/accreditation in country.
- Ensure all procurement, warehousing and program expenditures occur in accordance with best practices, and all contractors comply with contractual agreements.
- Ensure the Safeguarding of program participants and employees through promoting an environment of awareness and upholding the code of conduct provisions of Medical Teams Protection from Sexual Exploitation & Abuse, Child & Vulnerable Adult protection, and harassment-free workplace policies. Incumbents will remain alert and responsive to any child and adult safeguarding risks, acquire relevant knowledge and skills which will enable you to promote strong safeguarding practices, understand the child and adult safeguarding policy and procedures, and conduct yourself in a manner consistent with the Safeguarding code of conduct and behavior expectations.
- Additional duties as assigned
- Utilize volunteers whenever possible
EDUCATION, LICENSES, & CERTIFICATIONS
- Master’s degree or higher in a field relevant to international humanitarian work
- Valid Passport/NIDA Identification Card
- Driver’s license
- Minimum 8-10 years progressive responsibility in humanitarian programming and personnel management
- 8-10 years senior program and country office management experience in a developing country
- Work experience in East Africa preferred
- Demonstrated growth of a humanitarian response in a complex environment
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES
- Dedication to the calling and values of Medical Teams.
- Commitment to organizational strengthening.
- Strong working knowledge of health-sector issues in developing countries.
- Commitment to working in a manner that respects cultural sensitivities.
- Has experience and understanding of UN (especially UNHCR and WFP) systems.
- Understands and can contextualize and engage in Global Refugee policy and trends, (including CRRF and Nexus).
- Strong organizational and strategic planning skills.
- Excellent financial management skills, including the ability to prepare, monitor and control budgets, reports, project proposals and partnership agreement documents.
- Demonstrated experience managing a high-performing work team.
- Excellent English-language skills, written and verbal.
- Preferred Swahili language skills
- Skilled at building and maintaining a high functioning, high performing work team.
- High level of initiative with a strong results-orientation
- Proven ability to develop strategic donor relationships.
- Very resourceful.
- Ability to work a flexible schedule and weekends as needed.
- Ability and willingness to travel to program sites on short notice.
- Ability and willingness to travel to global meetings when needed.
- Ability to work collaboratively with others including internal and external stakeholders.
- Proven passion for programmatic growth, ability to produce successful proposals and develop impactful reports
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS & WORKING CONDITIONS
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Frequent use of a personal computer, database and digital platforms, and other office productivity machinery, such as a copy machine and computer printer.
- Frequently uses hands, fingers, and arms to reach, handle, touch or feel equipment, medical instruments, materials, computer.
- Frequent communication and exchange of information among colleagues and persons of concern which requires the ability to speak, hear, convey and express oneself.
- Frequent close vision and the ability to adjust focus.
- Occasionally ascends/descends stairs, steps, or ladder
- Occasionally move about inside an office to access file cabinets, office machinery, meet with colleagues, etc.
- The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 30 pounds.
- Seldom to occasionally positions self to stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl.
- If in travel status, occasional to frequent traversing over rough or steep terrain in either a motor vehicle or on foot.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- The noise level in the work environment is usually moderately quiet.
- The employee may be required to travel to remote areas of the world where there are potential health hazards and risks, limited hygiene facilities, extreme weather, and very basic living conditions.
The following information outlines typical benefits available for, regular employees scheduled 30 hours or more per week. Actual benefits may be prorated for other than full-time work.
US Job Postings
- Excellent Medical, Dental, and Vision Insurance
- Flexible work schedule options
- Life insurance & AD&D
- Generous vacation time (20 days), sick leave (10 days), and 12 paid holidays per year
- 401k retirement plan
- Paid parental leave
- Employee Assistance and Wellness
For a full description of our benefits, you can learn more here.
Global Job Postings
- Excellent Health Benefits
- Flexible work schedule options
- Generous paid time off package
- Retirement plan
- Paid parental leave
Bottom of Form
Method of ApplicationSubmit your CV and Application on Company Website : Click Here
Closing Date : 30th June, 2023.