Content & Curriculum Development Manager at International Rescue Committee (IRC)
- Company: International Rescue Committee (IRC)
- Location: Tanzania
- State: Dar Es Salaam Jobs
- Job type: Full-Time
- Job category: Administrative/Secretarial Jobs in Tanzania
Requisition ID: req11913
Job Title: Content & Curriculum Development Manager
Employment Category: Fixed Term
Employment Type: Full-Time
Open to Expatriates: No
Location: Kasulu, Tanzania
The International Rescue Committee (IRC) responds to the world’s worst humanitarian crises and helps people to survive and rebuild their lives. Founded in 1933 at the request of Albert Einstein, the IRC offers lifesaving care and life-changing assistance to refugees forced to flee from war or disaster. At work today in over 40 countries and 22 U.S. cities, we restore safety, dignity and hope to millions who are uprooted and struggling to endure. The IRC leads the way from harm to home.
The IRC has been providing education services for Congolese and Burundian girls and boys in the Nyarugusu Refugee Camp since January 2014 and extended education services to all three refugees camps located in Kigoma Kigoma Region now including Mtendeli and Nduta refugee camps Since January 2020. Services cover the full education spectrum from pre-school, Learning through play, primary and secondary school, Technical Vocational Education and Training (TVET), and tertiary education applications. Schools follow the country of origin national curriculum (Burundian and Congolese).
IRC is seeking a Content and Curriculum Development Manager for a five-year project, “PlayMatters”, funded by the LEGO Foundation. This position will be a part of the larger PlayMatters initiative to promote “learning through play” opportunities for nearly 1 million pre-primary and primary school aged refugee and host community children impacted by the humanitarian crises in East Africa and living in Tanzania, Ethiopia and Uganda. This project aims to build children’s social, emotional, cognitive, physical, and creative skills through play in their homes, schools, and communities and will be implemented in partnership with War Child, Plan International, Behavioural Insights Team and Innovations for Poverty Action.
The Content and Curriculum Development Manager will report to the country level Project Coordinator and work closely with the regional content development/adaptation team and other PlayMatters Project staffs to develop/adapt content and test developed content and approaches for teachers, parents and children. S/he will also support to map existing teaching and learning materials for preschool and primary school children in Tanzania and establish a framework for Learning through Play (LtP) competencies and quality LtP standards. In doing so, the Content and Curriculum Development Manager will ensure the type of engagement in design and implementation necessary to achieve joint priorities and objectives of providing play-based learning opportunities for all children.
Specific Job Responsibilities
- Contribute to PlayMatters collection of existing teaching and learning materials being used in the country, region and globally with a framework for continuous collaboration and integration of best practices.
- Based on behavioral insights mapping and human centered design research, support development of and lead localization of content for teachers, parents, and children
- Leading in conducting teacher’s needs assessments, to ensure that scope and sequence of the training is relevant and responsive to teachers’ needs
- Report and prototype samples of different content areas and delivery mechanisms for teachers, parents, and children
- Develop and lead implementation of rapid and iterative testing for developed content and approaches
- Roll out, piloting and testing of the Learning through Play guides, contents, and curriculum in coordination with other consortium members in the refugee camps and host community.
- Engage government and humanitarian coordination leads, implementing partners, teachers, parents, and children through structured adaptation processes
- Develop/adapt training content for teachers in refugee and refugee host communities through participatory and consultative process involving local teacher education colleges and other education stakeholders.
- Deliver a TOT to prepare trainers from PlayMatters, other education service providers and the government to conduct trainings with teachers and caregivers in collaboration with teacher education colleges.
- Support the monitoring of quality/fidelity of these trainings in collaboration with the MEAL staff at local level.
- Ensuring that teachers have ongoing support and opportunities to practice what they have learnt; support with initiatives to strengthen their practice.
- Develop/adapt content and key messages on LtP targeting parent/caregivers and dissemination strategy to reach wider audiences.
- Establish a framework for LtP competencies and quality LtP standards.
- Develop samples and templates of content for teachers, parents, and children on learning through play (LtP).
- Update key messages and communications materials on play-based learning to reflect the Tanzanian context targeting refugees and host communities and update as the context evolves.
- Leading in training teachers, parents/caregivers, education personnel on Learning through Play approaches. Lead teachers and education personnel to integrate and mainstream Learning through Play in their teachings and support ways for parents/caregivers to integrate Learning through Play to day to day children Update.
- Attend and participate in trainings identified/organized by the supervisor.
- Follow any new procedures and guidelines designated in circulars from Country Director.
- Report any violations of IRC’s three core values (Integrity, Service and Accountability) as per IRC WAY reporting mechanism. The reporting of violations is an obligation on the part of all staff members.
- Assist where necessary in undertaking activities that aim to prevent the occurrence of sexual abuse and exploitation of beneficiaries by IRC and other humanitarian workers.
- Perform other duties as may be assigned by your supervisor.
Qualifications, Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities Required:
- Advanced degree from an accredited university in education, curriculum development, education management or related field
- Minimum of 5 years of experience in content/curriculum development/adaptation, testing, and training. Experience of working NGO setting and in education emergency responses programs is an added advantage.
- Demonstratable strong background in developing contents, modules and guidelines for teachers, parents, and caregivers. Experience with Learning through Play approaches will be considered a strong asset.
- Experience teaching in ECD, Primary, secondary School and teacher education preferred.
- Proven track record of and knowledge of engaging with government priorities, systems, and structure.
- Demonstrated success in developing educational/training content and delivery.
- Strong communication skills, both oral and written.
- Fluency in English is required.
Knowledge and Skills
- Excellent written and oral communication skills, including presentation and public speaking.
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Excellent organizational skills and the ability to multitask while working on projects with varying activities, objectives, and deliverables.
- Excellent interpersonal, negotiation and influencing skills.
- Creates a strong sense of purpose within the portfolio and with stakeholders
- Willingness and capacity to be flexible and accommodating in difficult working conditions.
- Communicate effectively in a multi-cultural environment and diplomatically manage collegial relationships.
- Work productively in a team environment and the ability to meet unexpected demands
- Pay attention to details and set priorities
Working Environment: The Content and Curriculum Development Manager will work in the IRC Tanzania office and be provided regular administrative and logistics support to perform his/her responsibilities
Qualified women and people with disability are encouraged to apply.
Please submit your application through our recruitment portal before 22nd January, 2021.
Method of ApplicationSubmit your CV and Application on Company Website : Click Here
Closing Date : 14th February, 2021.