Consultant-Field Engineer at International Organization for Migration
- Company: International Organization for Migration
- Location: Tanzania
- State: Kigoma
- Job type: Full-Time
- Job category: Engineering Jobs in Tanzania
I. POSITION INFORMATION
Position title: Consultant-Field Engineer
Duty Station: Home based
Duration of Assignment: Six (6) months
Type of Appointment Consultancy Contract
Organizational Unit: Programme Unit
Reporting direct to: Programme Coordinator
Estimated Start Date August 2023
II. ORGANIZATIONAL CONTEXT AND SCOPE
Established in 1951, IOM is a Related Organization of the United
Nations, and as the leading UN agency in the field of migration, works closely with governmental, intergovernmental, and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
To ensure the timely and effective implementation of the construction and renovation works under various projects implemented by the IOM Tanzania Programme Unit is looking for an Civile Engineer to advise on an on-call basis. The Engineer is expected to work in close cooperation with Contractors and their engineering staff and report to and advise the IOM Project Manager.
III. RESPONSIBILITIES AND ACCOUNTABILITIES
monitoring of activity work plans, progress
paration and updates of plans and
key trades and accepted standards of rehabilitation works from inception to
Specifically, the Consultant will have the following responsibilities:
On an on-call basis, advise and assist IOM as follows:
1. Manage the planning, organizing and development of all aspects of the construction works, including the
monitoring, documenting and reporting and coordination and supervision of contractors’ work.
2. Provide professional services required to oversee the design, construction / refurbishment of sites including the pre
detailed drawings, preparation of bills of quantities (BOQs), estimates and tender documents, adjudication of bids, supervision and certification of works, and follow up projects to ensure a satisfactory conclusion.
3. Provide expert guidance on the construction works to diagnose defects and specify remedial repairs, assist with cost management and analysis and have a good understanding of the workmanship.
4. Ensure quality in all stages of completion (including documentation).
5. Supervise the contractors in the areas of monitoring, change of orders, contract compliance, quality assurance, safety and documentation of all interactions.
III. RESPONSIBILITIES AND ACCOUNTABILITIES
6. Ensure that time action is taken to address any deficiencies in quality/safety standards and provide solutions for improving the quality of work.
7. Ensure that field reports are to a satisfactory standard in line with Quality Control System and Safety Plan(s).
8. Draft Plans of action for rectifying the defects, whenever needed. Coordinate all actions with the IOM Project Manager.
9. Ensure that all materials and equipment related to the Project meet the required standards and specifications.
10. Ensure that all tasks are completed to a satisfactory standard before final payment is authorized by the IOM Project Manager.
Performance indicators for the evaluation of results
• Manage, and supervise all construction activities, and conduct regular site visit to ensure that construction activities are running as per plan, and specifications.
• Modify, and edit all technical documents, and design of new structures as per site requirements.
• Provide expert advice on design, planning, and management of construction activities covering all type of activities may be required for the new construction or renovation of an existing building.
• Conduct meetings with construction company to discuss all aspects of the project, and report to the management.
IV. REQUIRED QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE
• Bachelor’s degree in civil engineering; Advanced Degree in Civil Engineering preferred.
• Minimum of 5 years of professional experience in technical survey, design, cost estimation and overseeing project implementation.
• Operating and application of MS project, Primavera, Auto-Cad, and Engineering related software.
• Experience working with specialized international agencies (UN Agencies, International organizations, and International NGOs) and in close consultation and coordination with local authorities, community representatives, implementing partners and field staff.
• Ability to operate AutoCAD 2D 3D, Scheduling (Primavera), Total Station, SAP2000, Etabs, with respect to required plan, profile and sections.
• Ability to conduct technical survey on the ground with latest survey equipment.
• Ability in geotechnical, and field technical tests.
• Inclusion and respect for diversity: respects and promotes individual and cultural differences. Encourages diversity and inclusion.
• Integrity and transparency: maintains high ethical standards and acts in a manner consistent with organizational principles/rules and standards of conduct.
• Professionalism: demonstrates ability to work in a composed, competent and committed manner and exercises careful judgment in meeting day-today challenges.
• Courage: demonstrates willingness to take a stand on issues of importance.
• Empathy: shows compassion for others, makes people feel safe, respected and fairly treated.
Core Competencies – behavioural indicators
• Teamwork: develops and promotes effective collaboration within and across units to achieve shared goals and optimize results.
• Delivering results: produces and delivers quality results in a serviceoriented and timely manner. Is action oriented and committed to achieving agreed outcomes.
• Managing and sharing knowledge: continuously seeks to learn, share knowledge and innovate.
• Accountability: takes ownership for achieving the Organization’s priorities and assumes responsibility for own actions and delegated work.
• Communication: encourages and contributes to clear and open communication. Explains complex matters in an informative, inspiring, and motivational way.
(specify the required knowledge) Desirable
Fluency in English and Kiswahili is required Working knowledge of French, Spanish, Portuguese is desirable.
Qualified female candidates and qualified person with disabilities are encouraged to apply for UN vacancies and are protected from discrimination during all stages of employment.
All application documents will be handled in accordance with IOM data protection policy. The selected candidate is required to commence the assignment as soon as the recruitment process completes.
IOM does not charge a fee at any stage of its recruitment process (application, interview, processing, training, or other fee). IOM does not request any information related to bank accounts.
Method of ApplicationInterested candidates should fill in the PH form, submit CV’s and cover letter indicating Vacancy Notice number with 3 professional references and contacts to email address: [email protected]
PH Form (MS Word)
Only e-mail applications will be considered.
For further information, please refer to: https://tanzania.iom.int/careers Posting period: From 26th July 2023 to 08th August 2023