Consultant at UNESCO
- Company: UNESCO
- Location: Tanzania
- State: Dar Es Salaam Jobs
- Job type: Full-Time
- Job category: Consulting Jobs in Tanzania
UNESCO is part of the UN Agencies implementing the UN Joint Programme on “Empowering Adolescent Girls and Young Women through Education in Tanzania”. The Implementation commenced in 2016 and ends in June 2021. The project team is in place; however, due to delays in implementation because of COVID – 19 there is a need to hire a consultant to support accelerated implementation of the project and ensure effective liaison with government and line ministries.
The main objective of the consultancy is to support implementation of the Joint Programme for “Empowering Adolescent Girls and Young Women through Education in Tanzania”. Therefore, under the overall authority of the Head of the UNESCO Dar es Salaam Office and direct supervision of the Project Coordinator, the incumbent will support planning and implementation of the activities within the framework of Joint Programme on Empowering Adolescent Girls and Young Women through Education in Tanzania, funded by Korea International Cooperation Agency (KOICA).
Specifically the consultant will undertake the following activities:
- Strengthening of national and sub-national efforts to introduce and implement pre-vocational and entrepreneurial skills in secondary schools and other non-formal education settings.
- Development and implementation of qualification framework for non-formal and life skills education programme for mainstreaming in formal education systems.
- Strengthening the capacity of national and sub-national efforts to provide technical and vocational skills development opportunities including creative industries and green business to adolescent girls and young women in- and out of school.
- Where necessary ensure administrative and logistical support is provided to the project activities in line with UNESCO rules and regulations in consultation with the Project Coordinator and other project team members and working in close collaboration with the administrative and financial unit of the UNESCO Dar Office for the implementation of the project activities.
- 5. Contribute to the Joint Programme communication and advocacy, including providing inputs for websites, press releases, speeches, presentations, to raise awareness on girls and women’s education and the visibility of the programme, as well on the partnerships among UN Women, UNFPA, the donor and UNESCO. This includes the monitoring of all components of the programme and documenting lessons learned from the Joint Programme, including approaches, methodologies, tools, success and challenges, with a view to sustainability, programme scale up and support to south‐south‐learning and knowledge exchange
- 6. Contribute to the development of a transparent inter‐agency resource mobilization strategy, and play an active role with Joint Programme partners in resource mobilization, including proposal developments, submission and follow‐up with donors.
- 7. Complete additional tasks, as required and assigned by the Project Coordinator and the Head of Office and Representative – UNESCO Dar es Salaam Office.
COMPETENCIES (Core / Managerial)
- At least MA in education, sociology or related field;
- Knowledge and experience of no less than 5 years working on education programmes at national, regional and local level;
- Ability to work independently under minimum supervision; and
- Excellent writing skills as well as verbal communication skills (in English and Kiswahili).
- Proven experience with similar assignments in Tanzania
- Knowledge of UN and its internal processes an added advantage
Effective inter-personal skills, leadership, team player, ability to maintain excellent client relations
Please note that all candidates must complete an on-line application and provide complete and accurate information. To apply, please visit the UNESCO careers website. No modifications can be made to the application submitted.
The evaluation of candidates is based on the criteria in the vacancy notice, and may include tests and/or assessments, as well as a competency-based interview.
UNESCO uses communication technologies such as video or teleconference, e-mail correspondence, etc. for the assessment and evaluation of candidates.
Please note that only selected candidates will be further contacted and candidates in the final selection step will be subject to reference checks based on the information provided.
Method of Application
Closing Date : 6th November, 2020.