Consultant at UNESCO
- Company: UNESCO
- Location: Tanzania
- State: Dar Es Salaam Jobs
- Job type: Full-Time
- Job category: Consulting Jobs in Tanzania
OVERVIEW OF THE FUNCTIONS OF THE POST
Within the framework of the Joint Programme, “Empowering Adolescent Girls and Young Women through Education in Tanzania,” UNESCO in collaboration with the government and in partnership with the Forum for African Women Educationalists (FAWE Tanzania) established Safe Space-TUSEME youth clubs in 60 schools in Sengerema, Kasulu, Mkoani and Ngorongoro Districts (15 schools per district – 10 primary and 5 secondary school). The objective of the clubs was/is to enhance safe environment for adolescent girls in schools. The clubs provide students a platform to air out their views in matters which in one way or other act as a barrier in achieving their education goals. Within operationalization of the clubs, guidance and counselling services were promoted though training of teachers and students. In addition, pre-vocational and entrepreneurial skills including the concept of Junior Farmers Schools in secondary schools were provided. Other issues learnt include sexual and reproductive health, communication, gender based violence, confidence and leadership skills.
During school closure, which resulted from Covid-19 pandemic (March – June 2020), club activities were halted. In addition, when the schools opened, most extracurricular activities including club activities were restricted due to tight school schedule meant to catch up with the time lost during the school closure. Furthermore, some teachers who are managing the clubs are new while others require refresher training for the effectiveness and sustainability of the clubs.
UNESCO Dar es Salaam Office is looking for 2 competent experts to support strengthening of the established Safe Space – TUSEME clubs in the 60 schools. One (1) consultant shall focus in Sengerema and Ngorongoro Districts and One (1) consultant shall focus in Mkoani-Pemba and Kasulu district.
The overall objective of the assignment is to strengthen Safe Space -TUSEME youth clubs in 60 target schools in Sengerema, Ngorongoro, Mkoani and Kasulu districts.
Specifically, the initiative seeks to;
- Conduct refresher training to Safe Space – TUSEME club mentors and counsellors on club operationalisation including counselling, monitoring and reporting on the club activities and guidance and counselling services.
- Strengthen youth – centered guidance and counselling support services at school level using the Ministry of Education Guidance and Counselling Guide including referral systems for School Gender-Based Violence (GBV).
- Conduct refresher training to STEM teachers on GRP.
- Hold dialogues with pupils/students on engagement in club activities, which are meant to instigate various skills including communication, innovation and entrepreneurship.
- Support documentation of best practices related to safe space – TUSEME club activities, outcome and impacts within schools.
- Prepare training materials for the refresher training to Safe Space – TUSEME club mentors and counsellors. The materials should include but not limited to roles and responsibilities of teacher mentors and counsellors, problem solving, building self-esteem to pupils/students and gender.
- Train 2 club mentors per school on their roles as per the prepared training manual.
- Prepare training materials for pupils/students focusing on improving their engagement in club activities. The materials should consider building their skills including communication, innovation, entrepreneurship, leadership, self-esteem, confidence SRHE and gender based violence.
- Conduct dialogues with Safe Space – TUSEME clubs at school level in order to promote engagement in club activities and provide life skills as per the training materials.
- Cary out refresher training to guidance and counselling teachers using the Ministry of Education Guidance and Counselling Guide (2 teachers per school)
- Compile training materials and carry out refresher training on GRP at district level – 2 teachers per school
- Promote documentation of the safe space – TUSEME related activities, outcome and impacts within schools.
- Prepare activity report
- Inception report describing the implementation approach
- Training materials for;
- Safe Space – TUSEME club mentors and counsellors
- Guidance and counselling service providers at school
- Annual action plan for safe space – TUSEME related activities prepared per school
- Activity report
The UNESCO in collaboration with the respective District Authorities will closely monitor the activities. For sustainability, Ward Education Officers, District Education Officers – both primary and secondary will monitor club activities.
The activities will be carried out for 60 days excluding travel days. However, the duration of the contract shall be up to 6 months
COMPETENCIES (Core / Managerial)
QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE
- Advanced Degree in education, Gender, Sociology, Development Studies or related field;
- Knowledge and experience of no less than 5 years working on education programmes at national, regional and local level; and with government of Tanzania.
- Ability to work independently under minimum supervision; and
- Excellent writing skills as well as verbal communication skills in English and Kiswahili.
- Proven experience with similar assignments in Tanzania
- Effective inter-personal skills, leadership, team player, ability to maintain excellent client relations; and
- Knowledge of UN and its internal processes is an added advantage.
Method of ApplicationSubmit your CV and Application on Company Website : Click Here
Closing Date : 15th March, 2021.