Community Based HIV and AIDS Services (CBHS) and Linkage Advisor at HJFMRI-T
- Company: HJFMRI-T
- Location: Tanzania
- State: Mbeya Jobs
- Job type: Full-Time
- Job category: Healthcare/Medical Jobs in Tanzania
Join us in our efforts to end the HIV epidemic in Tanzania. Be part of the winning team to advance global health and save the lives of people living with HIV.
About HJFMRI Tanzania Program
The Walter Reed Program Tanzania (WRP-T) is a collaborative effort that supports PEPFAR-funded HIV prevention and treatment activities in the Southern Highlands and within the Tanzania People’s Defense Forces (TPDF). HJF Medical Research International, Inc Tanzania (HJFMRI-T) is a local non-profit that has supported these efforts since 2004 for the Walter Reed Army institute of Research (WRAIR). PEPFAR activities are conducted in close collaboration with the Tanzania Ministry of Health, Community Development, Gender, Elderly and Children; and the President’s Office of the Regional Administration and Local Government (PORALG), through the Regional and Council Health Management Teams.
HJFMRI-T provides care and treatment to people affected by HIV/AIDS, and has been actively involved in HIV and AIDS programming, providing resources, personnel, and services to the Southern Highlands Zone. The program has expanded from supporting the Mbeya Zonal Referral Hospital to becoming a hub for anti-retroviral treatment in the zone; to community support through decentralized services, with the overall objective of implementing research, clinical HIV, prevention, care, and treatment services. HJFMRI-T currently focuses specifically on four regions in the Southern Highlands zone, namely Mbeya, Rukwa, Katavi, Songwe and Ruvuma for VMMC services only. The program also supports TPDF to implement comprehensive HIV prevention care and treatment program in 21 sites throughout the country.
HJF Medical Research International, Inc. Tanzania (HJFMRI-T) is seeking qualified candidates to fill the positions listed below:
Job Title : Community Based HIV and AIDS Services (CBHS) and Linkage Advisor
Reports to : Associate Director, Clinical services Location : Mbeya HQs
Duration : 12 Months (with an option to renew based on the availability of funding and need)
The CBHS and Linkage Advisor will serve as the primary technical expert and contact HJFMRI/MHRP Community Based HIV and AIDS Services (CBHS) activities at the organizational and community levels. S/he will facilitate the development, modification, and/or adaptation of appropriate CBHS strategies, to improve clinical and community access to and use of HIV prevention, care, and treatment and support services. The CBHS and Linkage Advisor are expected to collaborate across technical areas to strengthen the continuum of HIV Prevention, Testing to Care, and Treatment. The incumbent will be a link person between community services and clinical services and ensure community initiatives, innovations and efforts are reflected in the provision of HIV care and treatment services at health facilities throughout the continuum of care. Further, the incumbent will be responsible for liaising with local and national organizations, including faith-based organizations, for facilitating the expansion of CBHS services at the health facility level and in the community settings. The CBHS and Linkage Advisor will build local partner organizations and HJFMRI/MHRP staff to deliver high-quality CBHS services in Tanzania’s Southern Highlands.
Duties and Responsibilities
Program Quality and Management
- Provide technical leadership in the development of approaches and strategies for mobilizing partner organizations and communities for the establishment or strengthening of CBHS strategies and activities;
- Liaise and consult regularly with the relevant authorities, partner organizations, Health facilities, community leaders, and beneficiaries in the planning, design, and implementation of HJFMRI/MHRP and partner CBHS activities;
- Develop integrated, innovative, and gender-sensitive interventions for the provision of comprehensive CBHS services;
- Engage community partners and organization in the provision of HIV testing services at supported communities
- Engage community partners in making follow-up contacts elicited during index testing s either at facility or community level.
- Involve the supported community partners in actively linking HIV positive clients to care and treatment services at the facility level
- Engage the community partners in tracing MISSAPs and Lost to follow up to improve retention of people living with HIV
- Engage the community in creating demand for HIV services, including Viral load monitoring, VMMC services, CECAP, TB screening, and IPT.
- Ensure community partners’ activities and efforts are reflected in the daily provision of HIV care, treatment, and support services.
- Build the capacity of the partner organizations and government technical staff to deliver high-quality CBHS services;
- Provide on-going support through coaching, supervision visits, and mentoring to partner organizations and WRP staff in implementing CBHS activities;
- Document, consolidate, and disseminate knowledge and information regarding best practices, lessons learned, and proven approaches both within and outside of HJFMRI/MHRP;
- Ensure quality implementation, the achievement of results for activities within the HJFMRI project and within partner projects, and collaborate with other program departments to ensure effective teamwork;
- Collaborate with partners to develop quality assurance (QA) mechanisms and ensures that QA mechanisms are in place and functional;
- Facilitate and provide overall leadership and sound advice at facility and community settings and improve client adherence to ART and retention Care and Treatment services
- Develop annual work plans, budgets, and reports for CBHS activities; and ensure integration of project activities into broader WRP yearly plans and the Outreach Department work plans;
- Extend technical support to local partners in preparing and submitting timely monthly, quarterly, semi-annual and annual reports;
- Travel within the Southern Highlands for program management, continued service development, implementation, and service delivery evaluation.
- Liaise with the M&E Department to ensure that CBHS components are functional (e.g., clarity of indicators, quality of M&E data collection tools, data quality, and reporting).
- Liaise with the facility staff to ensure that clients enrolled in ART are linked to CBHS to improve adherence to ART and retention of treatment
- Support Associate Directors Clinical services and Community as well as Facility Team, especially in identifying areas requiring policy influence and support implementation and development of long term plan.
- Participate as a member of the national CBHS Technical Working Groups, HIV USG Tanzania Team providing technical expertise in the area of CBHS activities ensuring programs are in line with the USG HIV and AIDS in-country strategy;
- Develops and maintain good working relationships with other partners, governmental and non-governmental, within the five regions;
- Provides monthly reports to the Associate Director, Clinical Services ;
Program Compliance/Financial Management Support
- Provide financial management support to the Finance Department on CBHS and Linkage Program budget through monthly/quarterly wire Forecast and budget modifications as required.
- Work closely with the Finance Department to ensure effective use of program funds.
- Conduct periodic follow-up with implementing partners to support efforts with overall program efficiency, effectiveness, accountability, and compliance.
Coordination and Communication
- Ensure implementing partners participate in relevant coordination meetings at the district, regional, national, and international levels.
- Work closely with relevant support teams (procurement and finance) to ensure systems are in place to enable timely receipt and distribution of all program materials.
- Maintain strong communication within the program team, Technical Advisors, regional staff, in-country stakeholders, and other sister HJFMRI offices as appropriate.
- Perform other duties as requested by Associate Director Clinical Services and support required by the general program. Knowledge and Qualifications
- Degree in Medicine, Master’s Degree in Health-related field or Master’s Degree in Public Health and/or other HIV and AIDS-related discipline.
- Knowledge and skills in organizing health campaigns including CBHS desirable
- At least five years of progressive responsibilities in HIV program management and technical experience in clinic and community-based settings, preferably in an outreach context;
- At least four years of experience with CBHS programs;
- Demonstrable experience in developing health education materials a plus;
- Knowledge of the current developments and best practices in the field of HIV and AIDS prevention, globally and in Tanzania
- Proven skills in analysis, communication, networking, advocacy, and negotiation.
- Fluency in English and Kiswahili required.
- Ability to use standard software applications (Word, PowerPoint, Excel, etc.)
- Good communication skills; ability to troubleshoot; ability to work independently and supervise others.
- Must be diplomatic and culturally sensitive, with excellent communications skills.
- 50% travel required
- Ability to work both independently and as an effective team member
- Diplomacy, tact, and strong negotiation skills
- Self-motivated and able to work without close supervision
- Able to prioritize work, multi-task, and meet deadlines
Method of ApplicationCover letters and resumes should be sent by mail through post/EMS/DHL/ or any reliable Courier to the Human Resources and Administration Manager, P.O. Box 6396, Mbeya, or sent through e-mail to [email protected]
NOTE: To be considered, applicants must put the TITLE OF THE JOB in the SUBJECT LINE. “CVs should not include any reference to marital status, birthplace, or tribal or religious affiliations. Any CVs containing this information will not be considered for employment”.
Applications that are hand-delivered will not be accepted.
The deadline for submitting the application is December 31, 2020. Those who do not meet the minimum requirements, as detailed in the job description above, will not be considered.