Communications Specialist at Chemonics
- Company: Chemonics
- Location: Tanzania
- State: Dar Es Salaam Jobs
- Job type: Full-Time
- Job category: Administrative/Secretarial Jobs in Tanzania
Chemonics seeks a Grant Officer for the USAID/Tanzania Heshimu Bahari Activity. The USAID Heshimu Bahari Activity is part of the U.S. government’s biodiversity and climate change conservation portfolio in Tanzania. This will incorporate a series of interventions that support and strengthen the capacity for biodiversity conservation and climate adaptation in a manner that i) reduces the use of illegal and unsustainable fishing; ii) improves the governance and management of coastal land and seascapes; and iii) improves policy development and capacity to implement policies. These interventions together will reduce threats to marine and coastal biodiversity in Tanzania while moving Tanzanian institutions further on their journey to self-reliance. The Activity has four integrated objectives:
- Strengthening the enabling framework for a network of Marine Management Areas (MMAs) and Fishery Replenishment Zones (FRZs) to support biodiversity conservation, climate resilient communities, and sustainable wild-caught fisheries.
- Community co-management of MMAs/wild-caught fisheries and climate resilience strengthened.
- Private sector investment in MMAs and wild-caught fisheries expanded.
- Integration of relevant science to MMA and fisheries policy and management improved.
The communications specialist is primarily responsible for raising awareness about and reporting on Heshimu Bahari program successes. S/he will be responsible for managing all reports and written deliverables that are submitted to USAID. The communications specialist will also ensure that all project materials and communications products adhere to the Heshimu Bahari branding and marking requirements. This position is based in Dar es Salaam with local and regional travel as needed.
- Implement a comprehensive communications strategy for the Heshimu Bahari Activity that will set content and quality standards for all project materials and outreach including identifying, preparing and disseminating core messages, results, and successes to target audiences.
- Work with project management and other project team members to develop communications activities which support the implementation of their components.
- Draft communications products and deliverables including but not limited to annual work plans, success stories, quarterly reports, and annual reports.
- Design, manage, and oversee implementation of communications campaigns to support specific project components and/or partner agencies programs.
- Organize media events including press conferences, TV/Radio programs, public discussions, opinion surveys, workshops for media representatives, and other presentations in conjunction with partners.
- Prepare and oversee pre-testing of communications messages, materials, and programs to ensure the project reaches its strategic communications goals.
- Monitor the impact of public awareness/communications activities.
- Help identify and manage primary contracts with the media and local communication production houses.
- Support development and review of project publications.
General Project Communications
- In consultation with USAID and project staff, create project materials and templates as needed (PowerPoint presentations, brochures, etc.).
- Review and ensure compliance of all project materials to USAID branding/marketing guidelines.
- Train all project staff in basic communications tools and skills, including effective presentations, building success story messages into everyday interactions, measuring and reporting on impact, capturing lessons learned and best practices.
- Support the Knowledge Management Lead to monitor the impact of project communications activities.
- Take photos during Heshimu Bahari events and archive them on the Activity’s shared drive.
- Perform other tasks as assigned by the Heshimu Bahari senior leadership consistent with qualifications, this Scope of Work, and Heshimu Bahari Activity requirements.
- Write and distribute media advisories, press releases and other materials as requested by the media regarding Heshimu Bahari activities and events.
- Attend and help organize Heshimu Bahari major events to ensure:
- Proper USAID and Heshimu Bahari visibility (banners, logos on materials)
- Photos are of high quality
- Communication with journalists
- Serve as primary project contact with journalists. Build and maintain a communications link with Heshimu Bahari experts and journalists; regularly answer media inquiries.
- Review and/or collect press-clippings to determine Heshimu Bahari’s general visibility in the media and after major events.
- Manage electronic and hard copy archives of all project communications materials.
- Bachelor’s degree in communications, journalism, or a related field; Master’s degree preferred
- At least 15 years of related public relations, public outreach, or communications for development experience
- Experience in Tanzanian development sector preferred
- Experience in helping put together key messages for key stakeholder groups
- Ability to take the lead on organizing events
- Strong writing skills
- Strong knowledge of Tanzanian media
- Demonstrated experience: producing written products such as articles, reports, fact sheets, proposals, speeches, success stories, press releases, web site content; planning and managing events and site visits, working with TV/Radio.
- Excellent computer skills in Microsoft Office Suite are required; knowledge of Adobe InDesign and Photoshop a plus
- Photography and videography skills
- Understanding of USAID rules and regulations related to communications programs
- Fluency in written and spoken English is required
- Demonstrated leadership, versatility, interpersonal skills, and integrity
Period of Performance: On/about August 31, 2023, through the life of project.
Method of ApplicationSubmit your CV and Application on Company Website : Click Here
Closing Date : 8th August, 2023.