Communications and Media Officer at The International Rescue Committee (IRC)
- Company: The International Rescue Committee (IRC)
- Location: Tanzania
- State: Kigoma
- Job type: Full-Time
- Job category: Administrative/Secretarial Jobs in Tanzania
Requisition ID: req19169
Job Title: Readvertised-Communications and Media Officer
Employment Category: Regular
Employment Type: Full-Time
Open to Expatriates: No
Location: Kasulu, Tanzania
Key Working Relationships:
- Position Reports to: Project Coordinator – PlayMatters
- Indirect Reporting: N/A
- Position supervises: N/A
The International Rescue Committee (IRC) responds to the world’s worst humanitarian crises and helps people whose lives and livelihoods are shattered by conflict and disaster to survive, recover, and gain control of their lives. Founded in 1933 at the request of Albert Einstein, the IRC works with people forced to flee from war, conflict and disaster and the host communities which support them, as well as those who remain within their homes and communities. At work today in over 40 countries and 25 U.S. cities, we improve outcomes in the areas of health, safety, economic wellbeing, education, and power.
PlayMatters (2020-2025) is an education initiative funded through a $100 million grant from the LEGO Foundation. The program reimagines childhood for 800,000+ refugee and host-community children across Ethiopia, Tanzania, and Uganda – children whose education and social development has been affected by displacement and trauma. Building on children’s amazing resilience and a growing evidence base supporting Learning through Play methodologies, PlayMatters cultivates holistic learning for children ages 3-12+. PlayMatters is led by the International Rescue Committee and includes Plan International, War Child Holland, Innovations for Poverty Action, the Behavioral Insights Team in partnership with the LEGO Foundation.
The IRC is seeking a motivated and enthusiastic Communications and Media Officer for the PlayMatters project. The Communications and Media Officer will be responsible for developing communications products, engaging with the media for project visibility and assisting to organise events aimed at creating awareness about the project. The incumbent will be responsible for contributing content to the PlayMatters website and promoting it to internal and external audiences. He/she will also develop and disseminate key communications resources for public awareness to promote Learning through Play as a method of teaching and learning. The position will be pivotal in supporting the planning, development, and implementation of PlayMatters communications and advocacy strategy. He/she will oversee implementation of the PlayMatters brand and visual identity in Tanzania which includes leading the creation of promotional and visibility items for the project.
Roles and Responsibilities
- Develop resources as part of documentation of project progress and milestones (i.e., impact stories, videos, and photos) to share on PlayMatters and IRC internal and external Websites, newsletters and for all internal and external usage.
- Support generation of content for internal and external publications including newsletter, fact-sheets, and branded visibility materials such as fliers, posters, calendars, diaries, , t-shirts, banners etc.
- Drafting talking points and messages for PlayMatters project in Tanzania, and for sharing with media and wider public.
- Creating high quality media and multimedia content for dissemination into various platforms.
- Preparation of communications budgets.
- To establish new, and maintain relationships with key media outlets, correspondents, journalists, producers, and editors.
- To write, as required, materials for the purposes of print, broadcast, web, and social media.
- To work as part of a core PlayMatters team to create media campaigns, write press releases, statements and other PlayMatters audience-focused content and resources.
- To act as main focal point for media relations for the PlayMatters project.
- BA in Journalism or communications/public relations, or a related field from an accredited Institution.
- Minimum of 3 years working experience including working in in an INGO, media, journalism, or communications/public relations or in closely related external relations contexts.
- Experience in the design and production of visual content, such as photography, graphics, and video.
- Experience and proficiency in using content (graphic and video) production and editing software.
- A high degree of self-motivation and able to work independently and as part of a team.
- Exceptional attention to detail to deliver high quality and accurate content.
- A well-organised person, able to show the ability to initiate, monitor, prioritise, and complete project activities.
- Excellent communication skills, including social media and multimedia skills, plus strong interpersonal skills.
- Excellent command of English, (written, oral, comprehension) including highly developed drafting skills.
- Outstanding writing and editing skills.
Standards for Professional Conduct
The IRC and IRC workers must adhere to the values and principles outlined in IRC Way – Standards for Professional Conduct. These are Integrity, Service, and Accountability. In accordance with these values, the IRC operates and enforces policies on Beneficiary Protection from Exploitation and Abuse, Child Safeguarding, Anti Workplace Harassment, Fiscal Integrity, and Anti-Retaliation.
IRC is committed to narrowing the gender gap in leadership positions. We offer benefits that provide an enabling environment for women to participate in our workforce including parental leave, gender-sensitive security protocols and other supportive benefits and allowances.
IRC is an Equal Opportunity Employer. IRC considers all applicants on the basis of merit without regard to race, sex, color, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, disability, or any other characteristic protected by applicable law.
Please note that the IRC does not charge fee at any stage of its recruitment process (application, interview meeting, processing, training or any other fee). IRC does not request any information related to bank accounts. If asked of any payment please contact [email protected]
Method of ApplicationSubmit your CV and Application on Company Website : Click Here
Closing Date : 20th August, 2021.