Commercial Mentor/trainer at BBC Media
- Company: BBC Media
- Location: Tanzania
- State: Dar Es Salaam Jobs
- Job type: Full-Time
- Job category: Administrative/Secretarial Jobs in Tanzania
Location: Dar es Salaam, Tanzania
Reports to: Senior mentor/trainer
Duration: 12 months (with possible extension)
Special requirements: The right to live and work in Tanzania. Fluent in written and spoken Kiswahili and English and with ability to write reports and scripts in these languages.
Only applicants with separate cover letter will be considered. Please do not send certificates or other attachments. Only shortlisted candidates will be notified.
BBC Media Action:
BBC Media Action is the BBC’s international development organisation, and we believe in the power of media and communication for good. We work in more than 20 countries around the world, supporting the independent media essential to democracy and development. Each year our projects and programmes reach over 100 million people facing poverty, inequality, and insecurity with information they can trust, helping to improve health, bridge divides, challenge prejudice, and save and change lives. We follow the editorial standards and values of the BBC, but we rely on funding from donors and partners to carry out our work.
BBC Media Action is seeking a commercial mentor/trainer to support the sustainability and financial independence of a diverse group of rural radio stations. It is envisaged that greater sustainability and financial independence will be achieved through the strengthening of partners’ business management skills and systems, and the development and implementation of robust profit-generating advertising, marketing, and sales strategies.
The successful candidate will work closely with the senior mentor/trainer and partnerships development manager to develop training plans that meet the needs of rural radio stations in line with a range of project objectives. The commercial mentor/trainer will deliver training and mentoring on location at the partner stations’ studios and during centrally-organised training events. The mentoring and training will include a focus on management skills, advertising, marketing and sales strategies, and the use of data in decision making.
The post holder will be required to spend up to 80% of their time outside of their duty station, working with rural radio stations across Tanzania.
Main duties and responsibilities:
- Develop a media management and marketing training, and mentoring strategy for BBC Media Action in Tanzania
- Undertake marketing, advertising and management skills capacity and needs-assessments with broadcast partners
- Develop training tools and materials covering (but not limited to) advertising, marketing, media planning and sales, local private sector mapping, business planning and strategy, and media-house management
- Deliver training and provide advice to broadcast partners in how to realise long-term increases in revenue and profitability
- Deliver training and provide support to broadcast partners to build management capacity and develop stronger internal systems
- Deliver media-house management and marketing training to the wider BBC Media Action projects and capacity-building teams
- Submit training reports, workplans and budgets to the senior mentor/trainer as agreed in advance
- Contribute to donor narrative and financial reports, including drafting media management and marketing sections in English and Kiswahili
- To champion gender equality and safeguarding within the partner radio stations
- To ensure all project activities meet BBC standards, as well as delivering the projects development objectives
- Understand and comply with BBC Media Action’s safeguarding policy and the staff code of conduct
- Participate in relevant mandatory training on safeguarding and respect at work
- Report any safeguarding concerns immediately, either to the Country Director, or using the whistleblowing policy
- Support the project with other duties if required.
Required skills, knowledge, and experience:
- Minimum Bachelor’s Degree in Marketing, Business Management or a closely-related field
- At least 5 years’ experience in marketing and/or advertising in Tanzania including personally developing and implementing broadcast advertising and/or marketing and/or sales campaigns
- At least 3 years’ experience in a management role in a marketing or advertising environment
- Proven experience of planning and delivering training in marketing and/or advertising and/or business management and interest in developing further skills in this area
- Excellent interpersonal, communication and influencing skills
- Sound understanding of safeguarding principles and experience in their implementation
- Fluent in written and spoken Kiswahili and English and experienced in preparing detailed reports in Kiswahili and English
- Good working knowledge of the MS Office suite.
- Experience of working in the media sector in Tanzania, particularly local radio, is strongly desirable
- Experience of working with an NGO (or as part of a donor-funded activity)
- Knowledge and understanding of sustainability and financial independence of local radio stations
- Experience of working remotely.
Method of ApplicationInterested qualified candidates should submit their CV with cover letter (in English, PDF or Microsoft Word format) which outlines their experience and suitability for the role by email to: [email protected]– please include the title of the position applied for in the subject line and send by 5pm on 17 July 2022.
The role may involve working with groups of vulnerable children and adults. For the successful candidate, mandatory training will be provided on BBC Media Action’s safeguarding policy and staff code of conduct. A police background check may form part of the recruitment process. BBC Media Action operates a zero-tolerance policy concerning all forms of abuse and exploitation of vulnerable people.