Climate and Environment Lead at Aga Khan Health Service
- Company: Aga Khan Health Service
- Location: Tanzania
- State: Dar Es Salaam Jobs
- Job type: Full-Time
- Job category: Administrative/Secretarial Jobs in Tanzania
The Aga Khan Health Service, Tanzania (AKHST); an institution of The Aga Khan Development Network, completed a major phase II expansion of the Aga Khan Hospital, Dar es Salaam in 2018.
This expansion aimed at improving the Hospital’s quality of facilities and infrastructure to become an ultramodern 170 bed facility to increase its capacity as a provider of high-quality medical care leading to a tertiary care, referral and teaching hospital.
The Phase II development focused on expanding key clinical services including a comprehensive Cardiology programme, Oncology services and Neurosciences, as well as the expansion of Orthopedics and Trauma, Diagnostic Imaging, Critical Care and Women and Child Health programmes.
The Hospital is JCI Accredited (achieved a level of quality and patient service that is equal to the best hospitals in the world) and the teaching site for The Aga Khan University, which offers Postgraduate Medical Education programmes leading to Master of Medicine in Family Medicine, Internal Medicine, Surgery, Obstetrics and Gynecology and Pediatrics and Child Health.
It is also an accredited internship site. As part of the integrated health systems approach, AKHST plans to establish 35 outreach health facilities that are located across Tanzania. Currently, 20 such clinics have been established across the country and linked the main hospital in Dar es Salaam.
The Aga Khan Health Service, Tanzania (AKHS, T) is part of the commitment to achieving Net Zero operations by, if not before, 2030. The AKHS, T is inviting applications for a Climate & Environment Lead to champion this work.
The Climate and Environment Lead will be supported with technical guidance to implement the Aga Khan Health Service, Tanzania’s Net-Zero Action Plan. This position will coordinate progress across operations and Departments and work with stakeholders to improve climate change mitigation actions and environmental stewardship. The selected candidate will serve as Country Focal Person to liaise and maintain appropriate relationships with governance, AKDN, Government entities and other institutions working in health sector.
ROLES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
The Climate & Environmental Lead will lead AKHST’s ambitions for reaching Net Zero by 2030.Specifically, the position will:
- Keep the CEO and operational leads informed on important developments and ensure all plans/actions have leadership approval.
- Coordination with key departments to implement climate actions, review on-going emissions tracking, and innovate solutions in healthcare.
- Develop policies around staff practice, including energy use, selection and purchasing of products and waste generation and management.
- Build staff capacity and support leadership development to enable all roles to contribute towards achieving net zero targets.
- Ensure implementation of the identified action plans with leads in procurement, support and facility management, and other operational leads to implement actions.
- Develop efficient data streams in alignment with the quarterly AKHS Global requirements and international best practice; analyze data to identify actionable opportunities for improvements in reporting quality and emissions reduction.
- Develop proposals and grant applications to support delivery. Where required provide key inputs into proposals developed by others to mainstream net-zero actions within operations.
- Work as the focal person to liaise and maintain appropriate relationships within AKDN and government agencies and other institutions working in the health sector in Tanzania.
QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE
- Minimum MBA/MSc/ MPH or equivalent preferably in a relevant environmental discipline
- Minimum of 2 years’ experience working in a role with direct responsibilities for environmental management
- Strong experience in management and team building
- Experience of working with wider stakeholders, preferably including government counterparts
- Familiarity with action research, preferably including developing solutions to environmental challenges
- Experience in supporting and providing staff training
- High level of proficiency in Microsoft packages, especially Excel, Power point and Word
- Proven analytical skill and experience in data management to inform advocacy and to drive change
- Highly motivated self-starter and excellent problem solver
- Excellent communicator
- Able to work in fast paced and rapidly changing environments with the ability to respond quickly to challenges
- Collaborative and nurturing team builder
- Motivational and inspirational leader with a commitment to excellence
- Good listening and counseling skills
- Works well under stress while maintaining focus on objectives and deliverables
- Ability to influence others and solicit support.
possible to reduce our own impact, encouraging others to do the same, and advancing
understanding in this field. AKHS has set itself the task of getting as close to net-zero carbon
operations as possible by 2030. We expect all staff to contribute to achieving these aims in the
context of their roles. We encourage applicants with previous experience or an interest in this
field to apply’’
Method of ApplicationSubmit your CV and Application on Company Website : Click Here
Closing Date : 24th October, 2022.