Climate Advisor at TRIAS Tanzania
- Company: TRIAS Tanzania
- Location: Tanzania
- State: Dar Es Salaam Jobs
- Job type: Full-Time
- Job category: Administrative/Secretarial Jobs in Tanzania
This document outlines the scope of work for a position of a Climate Resilience Advisor. The Advisor will provide technical assistance and support to farmers, agribusinesses, and other stakeholders in the small-scale agriculture, forestry, and land use sectors to help them adapt to changing climatic conditions and minimize the impacts of weather-related risks on their operations. The position complements an ongoing cooperation between Food and Forest Development Finland (FFD) and TRIAS in Eastern Africa, in particular projects located in Tanzania and Uganda.
Trias is a Belgian NGO (non-governmental organisation), created and structurally supported by six Flemish rural and entrepreneurial civil society organisations to foster development and fight poverty and injustice. Our mission is to empower organisations of farmer and non-farmer family entrepreneurs worldwide, so that they can act as powerful catalysts for social and economic change towards an equitable economy and a just society.
Finnish Agri-Agency for Food and Forest Development, FFD is a Finnish NGO, established in 2012 by the Central Union of Agricultural Producers and Forest Owners’ (MTK), SLC (MTK’S Swedish-speaking sister organisation), Pellervo (the Confederation of Finnish cooperatives) and ProAgria (the Finnish agricultural agency for extension). FFD objective is to support agricultural and forestry producers’ and their organizations in developing countries, especially in tackling problems of food security and ensuring future food production in a sustainable manner and to promote sustainable forest management.
The climate advisor will report to Trias Country Coordinator on everyday management issues but to FFD executive director on content-related issues. The person will be part of the Trias team in Tanzania but also provide support for the FFD programme in Tanzania.
II. JOB DESCRIPTION
Climate advisor will be responsible for ensuring the FFD advisory services and project management support for the FFD project, Greener Tanzania (TAN8803) but also to other FFD activities in Tanzania as needed and – in particular- to strengthen the climate related advisory services.
In general, the advisor will represent FFD in Tanzania as mandated by FFD headquarters in Helsinki. A more detailed workplan will be drafted jointly with FFD and Trias after signing the work contract.
As part of the project management tasks, the advisor will ensure:
- the technical and financial project follow-up of Greener Tanzania project (TAN8803).
- assisting if needed in the follow-up of other FFD’s projects in Tanzania: (FORI8772, TAHA8265, TAHA8685, and NADO8804), short descriptions of these projects are annexed to the ToR
- Support TRIAS and FFD in the preparation of financial and narrative reports for shared projects.
- In collaboration with Trias, identify further opportunities for FFD to expand its activities in Tanzania, this includes participating in the development of project ideas and proposals prioritise by FFD.
Among the climate-related tasks, the advisor will:
- Assist the stakeholders to identify the main climatic risks and understand the impacts of climate change on agriculture as well as co-design strategies for reducing their exposure to these risks using the Building Resilience Toolbox developed by FFD for AgriCord.
- Provide guidance and advice on best practices for managing crops and livestock in response to changing climate conditions, such as drought, flooding, and temperature extremes.
- Provide training and capacity building to farmers and other stakeholders on how to use climate information to make informed decisions about their operations.
- Advise government and non-governmental entities on best practices and policies reforms, development for climate resilient agribusiness, and supporting decision making processes by fostering partnerships in the agriculture and forestry sectors.
- Develop further guides and trainings for local partners on climate related topics including best practices for managing crops and livestock in response to changing climate conditions.
The climate resilience advisor will collaborate as a team with Trias’ environmental advisor and in coordination with other partners of FFD and Trias.
V. DUTY STATION AND DURATION
The vacancy of Climate Advisor is for the period of March/April 2023 until December 2026. There will be a six-month evaluation period before the contract is extend till 2026.
The main duty station is located at the TRIAS’ office in Arusha with visits to project locations in Njombe, North-West Arusha and Southern Uganda, and potential participation in international events in Eastern Africa and Europe. Some visits to Helsinki, Finland will be included during the vacancy period.
The remuneration and other benefits will follow Trias’ guidelines and practices for human resources management.
The Climate Resilience Advisor should have the following qualifications:
- A Tanzanian possessing a degree/advance degree in Geography and environmental science, agriculture, agronomy, or a related field.
- At least 5 years of experience working in the climate and/or agriculture sector.
- Strong knowledge of local climate conditions and the impacts of climate change on agriculture, forestry, or pastoralism.
- Keen interest in learning and understanding climate and development context and solutions.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills – has excellent English speaking, writing and presentation skills and speaks Kiswahili fluently.
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team.
- Knowledge of carbon mitigation activities and carbon emissions monitoring and reporting
The following experiences are considered as desirable
- A knowledge of GIS and Remote sensing.
- Capacity building and knowledge transfer
- Use of participatory methods including the support for inclusion
Method of ApplicationIf you meet all the requirements, please send your CV (max. 4 pages) and motivation letter (1 page) to [email protected] before the deadline of February 24th, 2023. At this stage, there is no need to send references or diplomas, etc. The selection process will include an oral interview and a written test. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted, if you do not hear from us within one month you can consider your application to be unsuccessful.
Dont Miss Latest Jobs In Tanzania. Subscribe Today. CLICK HERE