Climate Adaptation Specialist (Retainer, Multiple positions), Multiple positions at UNOPS
- Company: UNOPS
- Location: Tanzania
- State: Dar Es Salaam Jobs
- Job type: Full-Time
- Job category: Graduates Jobs in Tanzania
Purpose and scope of the assignment
Under the technical supervision of the Head of Strategic Initiatives, the Retainer will provide climate adaptation technical advisory and supervision in the conceptualization and implementation of infrastructure projects (mainly in the energy, transport and buildings sectors) in different countries in at least one of UNOPS’ regions. The Retainer will provide technical knowledge and will contribute to processes and decisions to facilitate sustainable and resilient infrastructure development and activities such as climate risk identification, vulnerability assessments, mainstreaming climate adaptation measures in infrastructure development and the provision of all adaptation and resilience support and services to different UNOPS partners and client countries. He/She will provide technical guidance on all aspects of resilience of infrastructure to inform effective project programming, management and partnerships. In addition, he/she is expected to provide technical climate adaptation support in support of ongoing infrastructure projects in other UNOPS regions as may be required. As needed, the expert will provide climate adaptation oversight on program design and management, working closely with stakeholders to mainstream climate adaptation actions in projects.
The specific tasks for each assignment may vary depending on the needs of the requesting office. Under the overall guidance and oversight of the Strategic Initiatives Unit and direct supervision of the designated Supervisor within the requesting office, the Retainer will work on a retainer contract and will be called upon for specific projects to fulfill one or more of the following key tasks:
- Provide advisory support in addressing climate adaptation and resilience infrastructure needs in developing countries.
- Support the mainstreaming of climate resilience and adaptation actions in technical documents of infrastructure projects, papers and corporate communication materials.
- Conduct assessments of the potential risks that the project implementation will increase the vulnerability of human populations and natural systems to climate variability and change, and to contribute to maladaptation.
- Recommend Climate Risk Management Plans (CRMP) for the implementation of proposed measures to reduce climate-related risks and adapt to climate change.
- Provide advice and assistance in the development of strategies, regulatory frameworks, guidelines, and enabling the environment to promote climate adaptation and resilience in infrastructure sectors.
- Provide technical climate adaptation advice to project teams and partners at any life cycle stages of infrastructure project development in compliance with UNFCCC climate adaptation guidelines.
- Provide climate adaptation inputs and support at events and meetings with stakeholders and partners.
- Collaborate with environmental scientists, economists, and engineers across UNOPS to design and implement high-quality analysis and technical solutions for infrastructure projects.
Capacity development and training
- Support the design, development and / or implementation of infrastructure climate adaptation training programmes and capacity building initiatives for both internal and external participants
- Support the delivery of training tools and techniques to mainstream climate adaptation and resilience in UNOPS infrastructure and project management services.
- Enhance and strengthen the enabling environment for the development of climate-resilient infrastructure
Practice contribution and Knowledge Sharing
- Support climate adaptation best practice guidance is disseminated and communicated throughout the relevant programmes and country offices and departments
- Contribute to UNOPS knowledge management by capturing case studies and best practice examples of climate adaptation in infrastructure projects/programmes throughout UNOPS
- Provide substantive contribution to UNOPS Climate Change practice focusing on continuous improvement of climate adaptation and resilience; support the development of policy, guidance and tools.
- Support and contribute to the body of knowledge to mobilizing public and private investment for climate-resilient infrastructure
- Advise UNOPS country offices on opportunities for resilient infrastructure development in addition to sharing with clients institutional and industry knowledge of climate adaptation options in infrastructure.
- Provide climate adaptation support in formulation of new initiatives, projects and programmes related to sustainable and resilient inclusive infrastructure
- Provide climate adaptation support to enable the delivery of resilient Infrastructure projects and provide support to UNOPS project teams and partners in line with the climate aspirations in the UNOPS corporate strategy.
- Serve as a technical contributor for business development activities through conceptualisation of technical approaches, teaming strategies, partner negotiations.
- Present results from in-depth technical research and analysis on key infrastructure sectors to support business development and thought leadership such as on climate resilience, nature-based solutions, market systems, private sector participation, financing and others.
- A Master’s Degree or equivalent preferably in Engineering, Climate Change, Sustainable Development, International Development, Public Administration or a related field from a recognized university.
- Applicants with a Bachelor’s Degree with additional 2 years of relevant working experience may also be considered in lieu of the Master’s Degree.
- A minimum of five (5) years experience of climate adaptation and resilience in the infrastructure sectors preferably in one or more of the following sectors: energy, transport and buildings sectors.
- Experience in how to adapt infrastructure projects to optimize the exploitation of opportunities arising from climate change, to promote wider climate resilience, adaptation and adaptive capacity.
- Experience in identifying potential climate-related risks to infrastructure projects implementation and the successful realization of the projects’ intended benefits.
- Experience in conducting climate vulnerability assessments and implementing climate adaptation measures.
- Experience in the policy development processes associated with environment and sustainable development issues in the context of climate change risk and infrastructure management;
- International experience in developing countries is highly desirable.
- Previous assignments with the UN system will be an added advantage.
- Experience working with Multilateral Development Banks and other donors would be considered an asset.
- Experience in mainstreaming climate adaptation actions in other sectors of infrastructure e.g Water, Digital development, waste management would be a plus.
- Familiarity with the Joint MDB climate Co-Benefits methodology on adaptation, and the Paris Alignment frameworks for adaptation
- Fluency in English or French or Spanish is required.
- Intermediate English is required for the candidates with fluency in French and Spanish
- Please note that:
- the shortlisted candidates will be invited to indicate in which language they want to take the written tests (English or French or Spanish).
- however, the competency based interviews will be held in English.
- Please attach a cover letter highlighting the experience, knowledge and qualifications relevant for the position.
Think big. Meet challenges head-on. Help people build better lives.
UNOPS embraces diversity and is committed to equal employment opportunities. Our workforce is made up of people from varied nationalities, cultures and races. They speak a range of languages and have different gender identities, sexual orientations, and abilities.
We encourage women and candidates from underrepresented groups in UNOPS to apply. These include candidates from racialized and/or indigenous groups, members of minority gender identities and sexual orientations, and people with disabilities. Click apply and join us!
Remarks: Please note that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted and advance to the next stage of the selection process.
Method of ApplicationSubmit your CV and Application on Company Website : Click Here
Closing Date : 15th October, 2023.