Chief of Party at Pathfinder
- Company: Pathfinder
- Location: Tanzania
- State: Dar Es Salaam Jobs
- Job type: Full-Time
- Job category: Administrative/Secretarial Jobs in Tanzania
Pathfinder International is driven by the conviction that all people, regardless of where they live, have the right to decide whether and when to have children, to exist free from fear and stigma, and to lead the lives they choose. Since 1957, we have partnered with local governments, communities, and health systems in developing countries to remove barriers to critical sexual and reproductive health services. Together, we expand access to contraception, promote healthy pregnancies, save women’s lives, and stop the spread of new HIV infections, wherever the need is most urgent. Our work ensures millions of women, men, and young people are able to choose their own paths forward.
Chief of Party
Location: Dar es Salaam, Tanzania
Pathfinder is seeking a Chief of Party to provide overall strategic leadership and oversight for an upcoming five year USAID reproductive, maternal, newborn, child and adolescent health proposal in Tanzania. The project aims to increase the demand for and use of quality integrated RMNCAH services in target regions, particularly women of reproductive age, youth and children, by improving access to quality RMNCAH services in both facilities and the surrounding communities, promoting positive health-seeking behaviors among Tanzania’s population, and enhancing the overall policy environment for RMNCAH service delivery. A five-year activity under a Contract mechanism is anticipated through full and open competition.
The Chief of Party (COP) will have an appropriate balance of leadership, managerial, technical, and interpersonal skills and experience. They shall have a deep understanding of the overall goals and objectives of an RMNCAH program, based on the country situation, and be able to articulate the strategic vision for the project. They will have demonstrated experience inspiring and motivating teams in complex environments. They will also have experience interacting with host country agencies, including central and local government, USAID, development partners, civil society, and community-based organizations.
** Strong Preference for Tanzania citizens and then regional third country nationals
Key Job Outcomes:
- Provides strategic direction of all project activities. Develops and updates the project strategic plan, ensuring that programmatic directions are technically sound, evidence-based, and consistent with USAID priorities.
- Ensures the project achieves the greatest possible impact including providing the necessary leadership to inspire and motivate the project team to implement performance objectives and mandates in a timely and cost-efficient fashion and meet the highest quality standards and value for money.
- Ensures project compliance with USAID rules/regulations and Pathfinder SOPs, including technical guidelines pertaining to technical area compliance
- Serves as the senior representative for the Project to USAID, host country government agencies, development partners, and civil society organizations. Cultivates and strengthens positive, productive relationships and ensures that Pathfinder is consistently viewed as an effective implementing partner achieving project targets.
- Together with other members of the country leadership team, leverage non-USAID funds to support expanded program activities.
- Supervise/mentor/coach senior project staff members to reach their full leadership potential and create a culture of learning and knowledge sharing.
- Develop a framework for learning and create an organizational culture of learning and knowledge sharing.
- Oversee development of project knowledge products and communications that showcase the project’s impact and promote them broadly.
- In collaboration with the MEL Advisor provide leadership and direction to ensure robust monitoring and evaluation strategies, frameworks, plans, systems and indicators to capture and monitor/evaluate project resources, performance and results.
- Collaborates closely with senior Project staff, and with implementing agencies and their respective long-term advisors, to design and operationalize an annual project planning cycle, which formulates comprehensive, integrated annual project workplans and budgets.
- In collaboration with the Director of Financial Management and Operations, establish and maintain the ongoing financial and grants operations, including monthly pipeline reviews to ensure accountability of all project activities as well as the accurate and timely reporting of finance deliverables.
- In coordination with the Pathfinder Contracts Officer, contract with and manage local individuals/organizations for identified tasks Including managing and directing activities of subcontractors and partners to create synergy and ensure project activities are carried out in accordance with donor and Pathfinder rules/regulations.
- Partner successfully with Pathfinder’s Program Director and Headquarters financial, technical, and operations officers by providing accurate and timely reporting, updates on the project progress, monitor quality of project implementation, and coordinate provision of relevant technical assistance based on project needs.
- Ensure that appropriate security guidelines and procedures are established, maintained, updated regularly, and adhered to by staff. Monitor the security situation and provide leadership for staff in emergencies.
Minimally Required Job-Specific Competencies:
- Experience interacting with host country agencies, including central and local government, development partners, civil society, and community-based organizations is essential.
- Demonstrated leadership skills in working collaboratively with other donors, host country institutions, and international organizations.
- Demonstrated depth and breadth of relevant technical expertise and experience, interpersonal skills and professional relationships.
- Familiarity with U.S. government policies, regulations, and legislative requirements relating to the use of family planning funding is useful.
- Experience in developing program work-plans, budgets, managing implementation, staff and short-term technical assistance.
- Demonstrated ability to lead a project team and achieve results.
- High level of organization and decision-making skills appropriate for working in a fast paced and complex environment.
Minimally Required Organizational Competencies:
- Passion for Sexual and Reproductive Health and Rights: Commitment to family planning, reproductive health services, gender, maternal, child health services, and eradication of harmful traditional practices
- Self-Management and Teamwork: Ability to work independently or as a member of the team, ability to be detailed-oriented, and ability to manage stress effectively in a fast-pace environment.
- Matrix Management: Ability to thrive in a matrix organization.
- Confidentiality: Ability to maintain confidentiality on work related matters
- Communication and Influencing Skills: Proven ability to influence others through diplomacy and proven oral and written communication skills.
Required Education, Training and Experience:
- Advanced Degree in public health with over 12 years of experience in a related field of study;
- Over 12 years of progressive program management experience overseeing multi-faceted and complex sexual and reproductive health (SRH) programs.
- Professional experience working in a senior management position for USAID funded health projects.
- Ability to travel internationally (up to 35%)
- Uses cellular and desk phone; laptop or desktop computer
- Please Note: This position is contingent upon project award and funding.
Method of Application
Closing Date : 8th October, 2020.