Chief of Party at Chemonics
- Company: Chemonics
- Location: Tanzania
- State: Dar Es Salaam Jobs
- Job type: Full-Time
- Job category: Graduates Jobs in Tanzania
Chief of Party, USAID/Tanzania Heshimu Bahari Project
Chemonics International Inc, a U.S. based international seeks a Chief of Party for the USAID Heshimu Bahari (“Respect the Ocean”) Project. The five-year project aims to improve the ecological resilience and productivity of Tanzania’s high marine biodiversity areas. Tanzania’s coral reefs are among the world’s fifty most climate-resilient reefs based on biological and oceanographic characteristics, and Tanzania’s marine and coastal ecosystems support a diverse range of coral reefs, seagrasses, open-ocean pelagic habitats, and mangroves. Not only do the ecosystems support species such as dugongs, sea turtles, and sharks and rays, but they also support a variety of livelihoods such as artisan fishing, aquaculture, and marine/coastal-related tourism activities. Overfishing, poorly planned infrastructure projects, and climate change all threaten not only these ecosystems and their fauna and flora, but also livelihoods and food security. These obstacles, together with the lack of a functional marine management area (MMA) framework, underdeveloped governance systems, insufficient funding, and an unincentivized private sector, severely limit effective management and measurable impact in marine biodiversity conservation.
To help address these challenges, Heshimu Bahari aims to establish an enabling environment and science-driven framework for sustainable MMA and wild-caught fishery co-management by government, communities, and the private sector. The Activity has four integrated objectives:
- Strengthening the enabling framework for a network of MMAs and Fishery Replenishment Zones (FRZs) to support biodiversity conservation, climate resilient communities, and sustainable wild-caught fisheries.
- Community co-management of MMAs/wild-caught fisheries and climate resilience strengthened.
- Private sector investment in MMAs and wild-caught fisheries expanded.
- Integration of relevant science to MMA and fisheries policy and management improved.
The Chief of Party will oversee technical implementation, contract management, communications, and personnel management in compliance with USAID regulations and Tanzanian law. Specifically, the Chief of Party will provide overall strategic vision and leadership in the design and implementation of all technical interventions and serve as the primary point of contact with USAID/Tanzania on day-to-day contract implementation. The Chief of Party will ensure program activities are carried out in a timely manner, and within the budgetary and programmatic framework. The Chief of Party holds ultimate responsibility for the quality and timeliness of Heshimu Bahari’s reporting and communication efforts, data quality, and clarity of deliverables.
The Chief of Party must operate effectively, build partnerships with relevant institutions and structures, work in a collaborative manner, and reinforce performance monitoring and accountability for staff and partners, building trust, transparency, and rapport among partners. The Chief of Party must be a strong and frequent communicator, able to effectively communicate through oral and written communication with USAID, Chemonics-Washington, government counterparts, civil society, and private sector stakeholders. The Chief of Party shall motivate staff to perform effectively to achieve the Activity’s objectives and provide mentorship to empower staff to grow professionally. The Chief of Party will travel within Mainland Tanzania and Zanzibar as necessary to ensure effective management and oversight of the Activity.
- Provide overall vision, leadership, management, and technical direction for the Activity to ensure that relevant, productive, and complementary interventions are implemented effectively
- Maintain quality control over all project operations and performance targets, ensuring that deliverables outlined in the Activity contract are completed in a timely and cost-effective manner
- Serve as the face of the Activity, developing and maintaining rapport with USAID, government counterparts, civil society, and the private sector
- Lead work planning, performance management, MEL, communications, contractual and budgetary aspects of Activity, and timely preparation of the annual work plan
- Maintain open communication with USAID, project office staff, and Chemonics’ headquarters.
- Supervise personnel, subcontractors, and select grantees across objectives and multiple offices, and facilitate linkages between technical and operational teams
- When required, modify strategies, approaches, and interventions based on evidence derived from MEL/CLA processes
- Master’s Degree in Environmental Science, Natural Resource Management or related field; Marine Conservation or Fisheries Management preferred, or Bachelor’s degree in related field plus equivalent years of experience required
- At least 12 years of senior-level management experience in the design, implementation, and management of natural resource management activities of similar size, complexity, and setting
- Leadership skills and experience in building and maintaining productive working relationships with a wide network of institutional stakeholders, including host governments at all levels, which may have divergent interests
- Demonstrated ability to build teams and foster collaboration to achieve activity goals, meet activity milestones, and produce quality results
- Demonstrated experience in institutional strengthening
- Experience working in Tanzania preferred
- Exceptional English written and verbal communication skills
- Fluency in Kiswahili preferred, but not required
Period of Performance: On/about February or March 2024 through the life of project. The position will be based in Dar es Salaam, reporting to Chemonics International’s Heshimu Bahari Project Management Unit’s Director.
Application Instructions: To apply, please submit your CV and application by February 1, 2024. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis. Early applications strongly encouraged. No telephone inquiries, please. Finalists will be contacted.
Chemonics is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate in its selection and employment practices on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, disability, genetic information, age, membership in an employee organization, or other non-merit factors.
Method of ApplicationSubmit your CV and Application on Company Website : Click Here
Closing Date : 15th January, 2024.