Chief Mechanical Engineer (CME) at TAZARA
- Company: TAZARA
- Location: Tanzania
- State: Dar Es Salaam Jobs
- Job type: Full-Time
- Job category: Engineering Jobs in Tanzania
The Tanzania-Zambia Railway Authority (TAZARA) is a Statutory Institution owned by the two Governments of the United Republic of Tanzania and the Republic of Zambia on a 50/50 share holding basis. With the registered Head Office being in Dar es Salaam, Tanzania, TAZARAhastwo Regional Administrative Centres —one in Mpika, Zambia and the other in Dar es Salaam. Some senior management positions (listed below) have fallen vacant at the Head Office and at the Regional Office in Tanzania. Suitably qualified nationals of Tanzania and Zambia are encouraged to apply for the under listed management positions.
CHIEF MECHANICAL ENGINEER (CME)
Reporting to Managing Director
Salary Scale TSG 14
Location Head Office, Dar es Salaam
Number of Positions : One(1)
Job Purpose :
The CME is responsible for planning, controlling and coordinating all activities pertaining to the repair, maintenance and operation of locomotives, rolling stock and related mechanical equipment, in order to optimise their availability and reliability as well as enhancing their life span at minimum cost.
- Directs the design preparation and specifications for rolling stock and related mechanical equipment, including guidelines for performance standards desired in order to ensure conformity to mechanical engineering principles;
- Develops and implements cost effective maintenance and repair plans, and priorities in order to ensure availability of adequate, reliable and efficient rolling stock and related, mechanical equipment and machinery capable of handling TAZARA’s present and projected volume of traffic;
- Approves comprehensive schedules for rolling stock operations based on traffic demands, mechanical conditions of locomotives, wagons and coaches etc, ensuring that schedules are not at cross purpose with maintenance plans;
- Recommends approval for purchase of spare parts and materials for maintenance and project work for rolling stock and other equipment and machinery in order to ensure continuity of operations;
- Authorises modifications and conversions of existing rolling stock and other related mechanical equipment, ensuring that such modifications or conversions are economical and conform to appropriate specifications and safety standards;
- Sets performance targets for major mechanical engineering works within TAZARA and continuously monitors actual performance against those targets initiating remedial actions where deviations are noticed in order to maintain acceptable levels of job performance; and
- Evaluates and reviews maintenance procedures, standards and programmes and provides guidance on technical problems, changes etc.to overcome shortfalls.
Core Skills and Competencies:
- Goal-oriented and able to work independently to achieve results, as well as able to collaborate with a diverse team of players;
- Able to write analytical and technical reports;
- Strong interpersonal, communication and leadership skills;
- Ability to manage and prioritize tasks and projects; and
- Excellent analytical and problem-solving skills.
Qualifications and Experience:
- Form IVA/I Certificate of Tanzania or Grade 12 Certificate of Zambia;
- Bachelor’s degree in Mechanical/Electrical Engineering, or its equivalent, from a reputable University;
- Ten (10) years relevant experience, four (4) of which must be at Senior level in the railway industry;
- Not less than 35 years of age;
- A Post Graduate Degree in Business Administration or any related field, will be an added advantage; and
- Full Member of the Engineers Registration Board (ERB) of Tanzania or the Engineering Institute of Zambia (EIZ).
Conditions of Service:
TAZARA conditions of service will apply. All the above appointments are on permanent and pensionable basis.
Method of ApplicationOnly candidates who meet the specified requirements need apply to the address indicated below, enclosing their detailed curriculum vitae, certified copies of educational certificates, names and addresses of three traceable referees.
- Female applicants are encouraged to apply.
- Only short-listed candidates will be communicated to.
- Faxed or electronic applications will NOT be accepted.
Tanzania-Zambia Railway Authority (TAZARA)
Head Office, Julius Nyerere Road
P.O. Box 2834
DAR ES SALAAM, TANZANIA
The deadline for submitting the application is 19 March 2021