Chief Executive Officer at Media Council of Tanzania
- Company: Media Council of Tanzania
- Location: Tanzania
- State: Dar Es Salaam Jobs
- Job type: Full-Time
- Job category: Administrative/Secretarial Jobs in Tanzania
The Media Council of Tanzania (MCT) is an independent, voluntary, self-regulatory body with the objective of promoting freedom of the media and ensuring the highest professional standards and media accountability in the United Republic of Tanzania.
MCT implements its programmes with the aim of expanding the perimeters of freedom of expression and of the media as well as promoting professionalism and accountability in order to ensure that the Tanzanian media contributes effectively to the country’s development and democratic processes.
MCT’s incumbent head of secretariat, the Executive Secretary, will be retiring soon and the Council would like to recruit a competent Tanzanian to fill that position.
As chief executive officer of the organisation, reporting to the President of MCT and Chairman of the Board, the Executive Secretary shall be answerable and accountable to the Governing Board of MCT in terms of the Constitution of the MCT, any regulations made thereunder and directives issued by the said Board through its President. He/she is responsible for financial sustainability, resource mobilization, financial accountability, programing and administration of MCT as well as being accountable for ensuring quality assurance and control of the overall Council outputs and results.
Duties and responsibilities of the employee:
- To run all the affairs of the Council with utmost efficiency, honesty and integrity and in the best interest of the organization and the media profession;
- To ensure that the reputation, name and public image of the Council are not compromised by his/her word or conduct or that of his/her subordinates;
- To ensure maintenance of up to date records of the Council, the Governing Board and its various committees and ensure that the financial accounts of the Council are maintained to the standard required and audited annually;
- To oversee efficient and effective implementation of decisions and directives of the National General Convention (NGC), Governing Board and its committees and the Board of Trustees;
- To oversee the development, implementation and review of the MCT plans for effective utilization of resources and report to the Governing Board for notification or approval as the case may be;
- To raise funds for the Council operations without compromising its basic principles and independence;
- To mobilize resources for the smooth running of the Secretariat;
- To prepare budgets and policy proposals for the deliberation and/ or approval of relevant statutory bodies;
- To develop and maintain good relations with members of MCT, other professional organizations and the media industry generally;
- To develop and maintain effective networks with national, regional and international partners;
- To promote establishment of independent media councils in Africa;
- To organize, service and attend National General Conventions, Governing Board, Committee and Board of Trustees meetings;
- To develop, promote and uphold professional ethical standards in media;
- To oversee review, investigation and resolution of complaints brought before the Council;
- To organise and or assist in the organization of such other activities as may promote the objectives of the Council;
- To oversee the production, and provide leadership, assistance and guidance to the editors and other functionaries of the regular publications of the Council;
- To assume such other duties as may be assigned from time to time by the Governing Board and its Committees within the mandate of the Council; and
- To do all other things consequential upon, and incidental to the carrying out of his main duties.
Key Qualifications and Experience:
- Master’s degree in Journalism, Mass Communication, Social Sciences or MBA or its equivalent.
- 5 years or more in managing related activities or NGO/CSO. Competencies:
- Resource mobilization and fundraising
- Interpersonal skills / public relations and communication
- Coordination, supervision, management with bias towards participatory styles of management and collective decision-making
- Computer literacy in relevant packages
- Knowledge of Tanzanian media landscape
- Gender awareness and capacity to mobilize media towards the same.
Method of ApplicationTo apply, submit a detailed Curriculum Vitae(CV) with email address, telephone number, copies of relevant certified certificates/testimonials, and names of three professional referees. Applicants are also required to submit application letter explaining why they should be considered for the job through the address below:
Media Council of Tanzania,
PO Box 10160,
Please send your application through post or [email protected]
Closing date is November 15,2022.
MCT is an equal opportunity employer. People with disabilities, women, youth and any other groups are encouraged to apply.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.