Center Manager and Liaison Officer at World Vegetable Center
- Company: World Vegetable Center
- Location: Tanzania
- State: Arusha & Moshi Jobs
- Job type: Full-Time
- Job category: Administrative/Secretarial Jobs in Tanzania
Position Announcement (Re-Advertisement) Center Manager and Liaison Officer
The World Vegetable Center (WorldVeg) is a non-profit, autonomous international agricultural research center with headquarters in Taiwan and five regional offices around the globe. WorldVeg conducts research and development programs that contribute to realizing the potential of vegetables for healthier lives and more resilient livelihoods. For more information, please visit our website: worldveg.org
WorldVeg holds the world’s largest public vegetable germplasm collection and performs breeding programs in different parts of the world with strong connections with the public and private seed sectors. The WorldVeg breeding team develops improved cultivars with tolerance to biotic and abiotic stresses, enhanced shelf life, improved nutrient content, and quality adapted to subtropical and tropical environments. The Center is modernizing its research infrastructure and evolving into ‘Open Science Center’, collaborating with advanced research institutions, universities, and private seed companies.
WorldVeg is seeking an experienced professional who will act as the Center manager as well as liaison officer in Tanzania. S/he will be responsible for managing and overseeing the operations of the Eastern and Southern Africa (ESA) regional office located in Arusha and maintaining an excellent working relationship with the government of Tanzania. This position is open for Tanzanian nationals only.
Under overall supervision of the Regional Director – ESA and functional guidance of WorldVeg’s Director of Human Resources:
- Manage a fair recruitment process for national staff in ESA, undertake impartial approach to staff performance evaluation and professional development.
- Facilitate teamwork, ensure optimal working conditions, safe and trusted working environment.
- Review and update HR Policy Manual, including the Nationally Recruited Staff Regional Office(NRS RO)Staff Regulations Manual, and ensure adherence to country specific labor and employment laws.
Finance and Administration
Under overall supervision of the ESA Regional Director and functional guidance of WorldVeg’sDirector of Corporate Services:
- Lead the Center’s annual planning of operations and budget for the region. With assistance of the senior finance officer prepare the annual budget of ESA. Ensure proper budgetary control.
- Coordinate the work of the ESA finance and administration team headed by the senior finance officer
- Supervise the administration of the Arusha Center and that of other project offices in the region.
Resource Mobilization, Communications, Relationship and Capacity Building
Under overall supervision of the ESA Regional Director:
- Participate in resource mobilization to sustain WorldVeg’s work program in Tanzania.
- Coordinate the development of communications products and outreach activities.
- Strengthen and nurture the Center’s relationships with the host country, Tanzania and WorldVeg partners.
- Organize workshops, training, events, internship programs, welcome visitors and enhance knowledge exchange with universities, research centers and the private sector to promote WorldVeg as an ‘Open Science Center’.
- Coordinate ESA’s risk management and business continuity activities.
- Prepare the ESA’s annual report for submission to the Government and WorldVeg partners.
- Undertake any other duties as required by the needs of ESA and as reviewed from time to time.
Note: WorldVeg reserves the right to revise job profiles at any time based on changes to the required job responsibilities. Qualifications and Experience
The ideal candidate will have most, if not all, of the following skills, knowledge, experience, and personal characteristics:
- A national of Tanzania and fluency in spoken and written English and Kiswahili.
- At least ten years of demonstrated experience in a similar position.
- MA or MSc degree in Business Administration or Finance Management, Agriculture, International Relations or another relevant field.
- Knowledge of agriculture, food systems, climate change and/or nutrition issues.
- Strong affinity with the mission of WorldVeg and research for development.
- Strong communication skills in spoken and written English.
- Good network of contacts of public and private sector actors in the agriculture sector.
- Excellent planning and organizational skills.
- Solid experience of human resource management, finance and procurement.
- Solid experience of project operations.
- Solid computer skills.
- Experience in managing finance, human resources and other organizational assets
- Experience in an international non-profit organization, research organization or university.
- Experience in speaking and presenting in public.
- Experience in resource mobilization
The Reward:The initial appointment is for one year and may be extended depending on requirement, funding availability, and performance of the incumbent. An attractive compensation and benefits will be offered to the right candidate.
The candidate we hire will embody WorldVeg’s Five Core Values:
Dedication to Innovation and Knowledge Sharing Supports the conduct of world-class science, respects ethical standards,
and is committed to sharing results in a transparent manner.
Aspires to achieve positive, tangible, and lasting impact contributing to Sustainable Development Goals.
Believes in the value of partnerships to advance research for development.
Respect the diversity of gender, culture, ethnic origin, religion, age, beliefs, and views.
Strives to minimize its environmental impact and to introduce greener technology and practices.