Business Intergrity Officer at Unilever
- Company: Unilever
- Location: Tanzania
- State: Iringa
- Job type: Full-Time
- Job category: Administrative/Secretarial Jobs in Tanzania
Main job purpose
The Business Integrity Officer is responsible for ensuring compliance with ekaterra’s Code of Business Principles (the Code/COPB) and Code Policies and developing local due diligence procedures and other business controls with a view to embedding a compliance culture. The Business Integrity Officer is responsible for achieving operational excellence in enforcing the Code between ekaterra Tea Tanzania (eTT) employees and relevant third parties. He/she will support the Business Integrity Committees in eTT and will be the visible go to person for the escalation of Code related issues within eTT.
The Business Integrity Officer eTT must demonstrate the judgment, drive and influence needed to deploy ekaterra’s Business Integrity programme across eTT for optimal results, in liaison with subject matter experts and consistent with the global ekaterra Roadmap for Business Integrity. The Business Integrity (BI) Officer eTT will assist the BI Officer – Plantations to deploy the ekaterra Business Integrity Programme across eTT’s tea estates.
The Business Integrity Officer eTT will interface with the following stakeholders:
- eTT Country General Manager
- General Counsel – Plantations
- Business Integrity Officer – Plantations
- eTT Leadership Team
- Investigations Officers
- Other Functional risk specialists in eTT (e.g. in Finance, HR, IT, Security, Welfare and Legal) including subject matter experts
- Global Business Integrity network colleagues
- eTT Business Integrity Committee
- Plantations Business Integrity Committee
- Other stakeholders as may be designated from time to time.
The key accountabilities of the Business Integrity Officer eTT are as follows:
1. Education and Awareness:
- Global education and awareness programmes, monitoring of completion rates in eTT
- Education of specific eTT employees / functional groups where required
- New joiner awareness and on-boarding, leaver exit process
- Annual declarations
2. Maintains an understanding of applicable local compliance laws / regulations and best practices3. Deploys local procedures and controls to cover key local compliance areas
4. Enforces COBP and other company policies between eTT employees, its customers, contractors, and suppliers
5. Promoting the Code and Reporting channels:
- Manage local Code and compliance engagements within the eTT through town halls, leadership team engagements.
- Ensure that all reporting options are clearly communicated.
- Ensure that the Business Integrity hotline is accessible (e.g. via freephone numbers).
6. Code compliance and (business) risk identification and assessment:
- Review and monitor eTT’s external issues and developments and report to the General Counsel.
- Maintain local Code compliance control requirements and procedures.
- Engage with high risk third parties.
- Engage with (local) procurement to ensure 3rd party compliance with relevant policies and standards.
- Manage co-ordination of eTT’s Code Compliance Self-Assessment and remediation plans.
7. Code case handling and Investigations (breaches):
- End responsibility for all Code investigation in eTT, from preparing investigation plan to sanctioning proposal and closing with the eTT Business Integrity Committee. Escalation to and support the General Counsel Compliance as and when necessary for cases handled by the Plantations Business Integrity Committee.
- Investigate and conclude all cases in conformance with defined global standards.
- Documenting control and process failures and escalating to functional owners for remediation.
- Reporting and tracking of process improvements.
- Ensure quality of data input into the Business Integrity reporting system.
- Reporting on Code case statistics to the General Counsel – Plantations.
- Informing the General Counsel – Plantations of any high-risk, reportable and/or WL2+ cases when these arise.
8. Incident response
- Ensure appropriate classification and review of compliance incidents.
- Preparation of position papers regarding any (Code) compliance concerns / challenges / questions received.
9. Additional Code Committee Support:
- Code Business Partner to the Country General Manager eTT and General Counsel – Plantations.
- Support the Business Integrity Committees in eTT with agendas, reports, minutes and follow-up.
- Point of contact for any Code related queries in eTT.
- Managing the eTT Business Integrity Roadmap.
Accountabilities on Legal matters
From time to time the Business Integrity Officer eTT may be called upon to carry out legal duties including but not limited to provide legal advisory and attend to litigation e.t.c. on an ad hoc basis
- The candidate should have a degree in law (LLB Degree) with 2-3 years post qualification experience, out of which 1-2 years’ experience should involve compliance-related work.
- Call to Bar (Member of Tanganyika Law Society & have a current practicing certificate)
- Candidate should have a good grasp of relevant underlying legal frameworks, compliance, risk and business integrity issues. Training and support will be provided to develop areas of expertise.
- The ability to influence key stakeholders and to be an agent for change are essential in this role as is the ability to manage potentially sensitive and complex investigations.
Unilever is an organisation committed to equity, inclusion and diversity to drive our business results and create a better future, every day, for our diverse employees, global consumers, partners, and communities. We believe a diverse workforce allows us to match our growth ambitions and drive inclusion across the business. At Unilever we are interested in every individual bringing their ‘Whole Self’ to work and this includes you! Thus if you require any support or access requirements, we encourage you to advise us at the time of your application so that we can support you through your recruitment journey.
Method of ApplicationSubmit your CV and Application on Company Website : Click Here
Closing Date : 25th January, 2023.