Aquaculture Management And Development (Truefish Project) at Lake Victoria Fisheries Organization (LVFO
- Company: Lake Victoria Fisheries Organization (LVFO
- Location: Tanzania
- State: Tanzania Jobs
- Job type: Full-Time
- Job category: Administrative/Secretarial Jobs in Tanzania
Lake Victoria Fisheries Organization (LVFO
Lake Victoria Fisheries Organization (LVFO) is an institution of the East African Community (EAC) charged with the management and development of fisheries and aquaculture. It was formed by a Convention in 1994 with major amendments in 2016. It is accommodated under Article 9.3 of EAC Treaty and registered as a regional fisheries management organization under the FAO UN Charter CAP 102. The overall objective of the LVFO is to promote sustainable management and development of the fisheries and aquaculture in order to contribute to food security and economic growth in the EAC region. LVFO has received funding from EU through FAO to implement the TRUEFISH project. The overall objective of the project is to contribute to the development of a competitive, gender equitable and sustainable commercial aquaculture sector in order to support economic development and sustainable management of natural resources in the Lake Victoria basin. The project will deliver three result areas which include BUSINESS (access to commercial networks-SO1), SKILLS (availability and quality of local skilled workers in aquaculture-related businesses-SO2) and SUSTAINABILITY (sustainable and bio-secure regional aquaculture production systems-SO3). The project will be coordinated through the Project Coordination Unit (PCU) whose responsibility shall be to support the LVFO in ensuring that overall programme supervision, including planning and coordination, monitoring and reporting, evaluation, exchange of good practices and lessons learnt, including on gender, as well as communication and visibility be implemented. It is against this background that LVFO Secretariat is seeking to recruit a Director Aquaculture Management and Development to coordinate project activities in line with approved regional policies on Aquaculture in the EAC.
DIRECTOR, AQUACULTURE MANAGEMENT AND DEVELOPMENT – To be recruited under the TRUEFISH Project and later mainstreamed into LVFO
|Job Ref:||LVFO/TRUEFISH /HR/2020/01|
|Job Title||Director, Aquaculture Management and Development|
|Reports to:||Deputy Executive Secretary|
|Duty station:||Lake Victoria Fisheries Organization Secretariat
Plot 7B/E Bell Avenue, Jinja, Uganda
A. Major duties and responsibilities
- Oversee the work of the Project Coordination Unit (PCU) of TRUEFISH Project;
- Ensure effective and efficient coordination of inputs to TRUE-FISH from FAO, EU, WorldFish and Consultancy company managing SO1;
- Coordinate the development of M&E systems and indicators, assisting Deputy Executive Secretary (DES) in checking quality of reports from implementing partners, field verification missions, and consolidating and summarising reports to be presented to the Steering Committee;
- Prepare and submit overall Programme inception, six-monthly,annual reports and field mission, on the basis of reporting from implementing partners;
- Assist Deputy Executive Secretary of LVFO to perform all duties as the as Secretary to the Programme Steering Committee;
- Manage and coordinate TRUE-FISH communication and visibility programme jointly with the EU Delegation (EUD) in Dar es Salaam and in coordination with programme implementers;
- Coordinate the harmonization of aquaculture management and development policies and legal framework in the region to ensure development of sustainable climate smart aquaculture in the EAC;
- Formulate strategies for the formation and strengthening of aquaculture associations and groups to enhance farmed fish production;
- Formulate and coordinate programmes for the management and development of aquaculture in the EAC;
- Conduct awareness creation to promote aquaculture development in the EAC Region;
- Evaluate the effectiveness of the existing national policies and legal instruments in achieving the desired goals in aquaculture development and advise on changes where required;
- Assess the impact of existing investments in aquaculture and identifies possible areas for further public/private investment to stimulate commercial aquaculture development;
- Advise on the financial and economic viability of planned investments, integrating it with technical feasibility and environmental suitability;
- Assess and identifies research gaps in aquaculture management and development and provides recommendations;
- Collaborate with aquaculture Research and Management institutions in the development of aquaculture;
- Advise on improving post-harvest fish handling methods and techniques including preservation methods, handling and processing techniques, labelling, distributing and storage of farmed fish;
- Promote adherence to guidelines on compliance with the required aquaculture standards for sustainability;
- Promote investments in aquaculture and marketing of farmed fish and organize regional fora for networking;
- Liaise and collaborate with other specialists in the Organization in carrying out all the above responsibilities;
- Disseminate data and information in relation to aquaculture development;
- Perform such other related duties as may be assigned by the Supervisor.
B. Required qualifications, competences and experience
1. Academic Qualifications
- Master’s Degree in aquaculture or any relevant field
- PhD in the same field is an added advantage
2. Work Experience
- At least Ten (10) years of experience in aquaculture in the East African region, five (5) of which at senior level
- Specific experience in managing programmes/projects with Donor funding within an international or regional organization, national government, or other public or private organization.
4. Other knowledge and competences
- Very good working knowledge of ICT (MS Office, statistical software)
- Very good written and oral knowledge of English
- Track record of scientific publications in the respective field (4 publications minimum in reputable journals, books or book chapters, 2 of which as principal author)
- Track record in resource mobilization (in terms of successful grant awards)
- Very good in communication skills
- General knowledge in Project Management; Monitoring and Evaluation; Proposal Writing; Managerial Skills
B. Assessment method
Evaluation of qualified candidates will include a competency-based interview and any other assessments deemed necessary.
1. Education Qualifications
All candidates applying must have qualifications that are recognised by the relevant national accreditation body in their respective countries. This condition is applicable for locally and internationally attained qualifications.
2. Relevant Working Experience
Relevant working experience in this regard refers to post education work experience. Internship, training, apprenticeship and clerkship will not be considered as relevant work experience.
C. Terms and conditions of employment
The Contract period is for five (5) years renewable once upon satisfactory performance. The initial contract is subject to a six (6) months’ probation, to be confirmed upon satisfactory performance.
An attractive Basic Salary package at EAC P4 scale including monthly Housing and Transport allowance.
2. Fringe Benefits
In addition, this post offers attractive fringe benefits including an installation allowance paid once, plus gratuity paid monthly, a personal medical Insurance, and personal accident insurance cover.
Eligibility is restricted to candidates from EAC/LVFO Partner States (The Republics of Burundi, Kenya, Uganda and the United Republic of Tanzania).
E. Age Requirement
Must be preferably not more than 50 years of age as per the project requirement.
Method of Application
- Interested candidates who meet the qualification and experience requirements for the above-mentioned position are advised to apply online through this system by clicking on the button labelled "Apply Now". Once you have created an account, you will be required to upload an application letter (pdf), detailed curriculum vitae (pdf), certified photocopies of academic certificates (pdf), names and contact details of three referees, and cerfified copy of National Identity Card (pdf), or Passport (pdf).
- Please quote the respective reference number on the application letter
- Should you encounter technical difficulties in submitting your application, please send an email with a precise description of the issue and/or a screenshot showing the problem to the email: [email protected]
Applications should be submitted to the address below not later than Friday, 11th September 2020 at 17:00hrs local time (East Africa Time).
- All applications must be submitted online through this system
- Applications which do not: indicate nationality and age; the reference number; or have an application letter attached; have certified copies of their academic degrees and other professional Certificates; or fail to provide three referees will be disqualified.
- Only qualified candidates will be contacted. All invitations for interviews will be done in writing.
- LVFO Staff Rules and Regulations precludes consideration of applicants above fifty-five (55) years of age
- Please note that LVFO does not require candidates to pay money for the recruitment process.
The Executive Secretary
Lake Victoria Fisheries Organization (LVFO)
Busoga Square Plot No. 7B/E Bell Avenue
P. O. Box 1625, Jinja – Uganda.
Email: [email protected]
Tel: +256 434 125000