Administrative & Finance Manager at UNICEF
- Company: UNICEF
- Location: Tanzania
- State: Dar Es Salaam Jobs
- Job type: Full-Time
- Job category: Administrative/Secretarial Jobs in Tanzania
Job no: 540174
Contract type: Fixed Term Appointment
Categories: Finance and Administration, P-4
UNICEF works in some of the world’s toughest places, to reach the world’s most disadvantaged children. To save their lives. To defend their rights. To help them fulfill their potential.
Across 190 countries and territories, we work for every child, everywhere, every day, to build a better world for everyone.
And we never give up.
For every child, Support
The Tanzania Country Office is a large Country Programme which operates in a challenging and sensitive economic and political environment. The office has 5 Sub offices and a total 158 staff and over 40 consultants. The office has 5 Sub offices and a total 158 staff Tanzania is a Dao country for the United Nations, an initiative that aims at a more unified and coherent UN structure and UNICEF takes the lead in most of the initiatives including the CBO and it is also the head of Admin and finance working groups. The Admin and Finance Manager is expected to exhibit a high level of maturity and set high quality objectives , both internally and externally, to deliver results ensuring efficient administrative services and effective financial management and adequate internal control practices to support the complex programmatic needs under the general guidance of the Deputy Representative – Operations.
The incumbent of this post will be responsible for ensuring effective, equitable, efficient, and sustainable operational systems in the broad operational areas of finance, accounts, and administration. The incumbent will also guide and lead a group of professional and support staff to manage and deliver support for administration and finance functions in support of the country programme in the Tanzania Country Office
How can you make a difference?
- Responsible for timely and cost-effective provision of basic office services including office premises, assets/equipment, communications, travel and transport, conference arrangements, document reproduction, mail and delivery, local small value procurement and bill payments of utilities and admin services. Negotiate and oversee matters relating to office premises, utilities and services with vendors and agencies.
- Ensure continuous improvement in administrative support and office services for enhanced quality, efficiency, cost effectiveness and sustainability. Ensures the timely and cost-effective provision of basic offices services including space management, accessibility, equipment, communications and security to enhance staff safety and productivity. Oversees to ensures that services and maintenance of premises are in accordance with organisational standards.
- Advise and update staff on administrative policies, procedures, rules and regulations, providing authoritative advice and administrative support. Decide on the appropriate application and interpretation of administrative rules, regulations, policies and procedures. Ensure arriving and departing staff are briefed on administrative procedures and requirements.
- Manages properties of administrative supplies, office equipment and vehicles, updating inventory of items, serving as ex-officio member to the Property Survey Board (PSB) and ensuring follow-up action of PSB decisions. Oversees the management and control of assets, their utilisation and disposal in accordance with IPSAS rules. Ensure the safekeeping, annual physical inventory, including cost analysis and recommendations for replacement/disposal of all administrative equipment and supplies.
- Oversees the management of bank accounts in accordance with UN/UNICEF financial rules and regulations and local banking practices. Forecast liquidity and monitor the cash position to ensure optimal liquidity at local bank account. Provide advice as needed to office management on the implications of economic and monetary issues that can impact on programme implementation. Take action to clear reconciling items, keep abreast of all procedures and regulations regarding the maintenance of bank accounts etc. Responsible for the safekeeping of cash and bank guarantees.
- Responsible for oversight of appropriate, accurate and timely processing and recording of expenditures and disbursements (e.g. rental payments, trips, pension fund, contractual payments, programme supplies, direct cash transfers and direct payments etc.) in VISION system, in accordance with established rules and regulations. Also ensure adequate monitoring and recovery of advances and accounts receivables, and timely clearing of GL accounts as necessary.
- Responsible to ensure appropriate, accurate and timely processing of receipts with regards to DCT, refunds from Revenue Authorities, deposits made by staff towards personal use of office telephone, vehicles etc.
- Ensure and lead the process of GL open item management by Finance staff and ensure all month-end, mid-year and year end closure activities for Tanzania accounts are completed as per DFAM deadlines.
- Manage the operations budget in close coordination with the Deputy Representative – Operations to ensure that objectives are realized for smooth operations of the Country Office (and sub-offices, where applicable). Prepare estimates and business case analysis for investments in office premises, admin supplies and equipment requirements and coordinate operations budget preparation. Monitor, control and report on the administrative budget.
- Ensures that all administrative transactions and arrangements of contracts are in compliance with the applicable policies, procedures, rules and regulations. Reviews all contractual arrangements related to administrative support (i.e. courier, premises maintenance, ancillary administrative support, vehicle maintenance, equipment maintenance etc.) to ensure that the terms and conditions of all contracts are being adhered to by providers of services. Proposes to supervisor any changes that may be required. Monitors payments against contractual obligations.
- Oversee efforts to reduce UNICEF’s environmental footprint by ensuring all efforts made to reduce consumption and emissions, and the promotion of recycling.
- In partnership with Programme colleagues, advise and guide on the design and implementation of bulk payment processes in support of Programme Development Funds, ensuring that risks are well understood, effectively mitigated and verification systems adequate. Support oversight of financial risk management, including through Implementing Partners in coordination with the HACT Team, and advise on appropriate cash transfer modalities and risk management approaches to address the identified risks.
- Develop and maintain effective working relations with other agencies, local authorities and implementing partners relating to administrative and financial matters for enhancement of information exchange, collaboration and harmonization. Support the Inter-Agency Operations Management Team’s approaches to enhancing UN common services to attain operational efficiencies, when applicable.
- Coordinate with the Regional Office and HQ Divisions to support policy reform in the functional areas and make substantive recommendations on the improvement of systems and internal controls, planning, restructuring and resolution of sensitive issues. Brief/train the staff on the application and interpretation of UN/UNICEF administrative as well as accounting and financial policies, regulations, procedures, and delegation of authority
- Support Deputy Representative – Operations to review internal controls for compliance with UNICEF policies, systems, and procedures, ensure accuracy, promptness and appropriateness of information. Ensure that the table of authority is updated regularly and there are no conflicts in segregation of duties.
To qualify as an advocate for every child you will have…
- A minimum of eight (8) years relevant work experience, at a national and international levels, in finance, accounting and/or administration.
- An advanced university degree (Master’s) in Accounting, Business Administration, Financial Management, Economics, or a directly related technical field(s) is required.
- Fluency in English is required. Knowledge of the language of the duty station is considered an asset.
For every Child, you demonstrate…
UNICEF’s values of Care, Respect, Integrity, Trust, and Accountability (CRITA) and core competencies in Communication, Working with People and Drive for Results.
The UNICEF competencies required for this post are…
Nurtures, Leads and Manages People (2),Demonstrates Self Awareness and Ethical Awareness (3),Works Collaboratively with others (3),Builds and Maintains Partnerships (3), Innovates and Embraces Change (3),Thinks and Acts Strategically (3),Drives to achieve impactful results (3),Manages ambiguity and complexity (3)
To view our competency framework, please visit here.
Click here to learn more about UNICEF’s values and competencies.
UNICEF is committed to diversity and inclusion within its workforce, and encourages all candidates, irrespective of gender, nationality, religious and ethnic backgrounds, including persons living with disabilities, to apply to become a part of the organisation.
UNICEF has a zero-tolerance policy on conduct that is incompatible with the aims and objectives of the United Nations and UNICEF, including sexual exploitation and abuse, sexual harassment, abuse of authority and discrimination. UNICEF also adheres to strict child safeguarding principles. All selected candidates will be expected to adhere to these standards and principles and will therefore undergo rigorous reference and background checks. Background checks will include the verification of academic credential(s) and employment history. Selected candidates may be required to provide additional information to conduct a background check.
Mobility is a condition of international professional employment with UNICEF and an underlying premise of the international civil service.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted and advance to the next stage of the selection process.
Advertised: E. Africa Standard Time
Deadline: E. Africa Standard Time
Method of ApplicationSubmit your CV and Application on Company Website : Click Here
Closing Date : 8th June, 2021.