Accountant at SOS Children’s Villages
- Company: SOS Children’s Villages
- Location: Tanzania
- State: Zanzibar Jobs
- Job type: Full-Time
- Job category: Accounting Jobs in Tanzania
SOS Children’s Villages Zanzibar is Local Non- Government Organization (NGO) affiliated to SOS Children’s Villages International, a worldwide child care organization that work to protect and care for children who have lost parental care, or who stand at risk of losing it. Established 64 years ago, SOS Children’s Villages International currently has Children’s Villages and other projects in 135 countries around the world. Globally, it runs two major programmes i.e., Family Based Care based at SOS Children’s Villages and Family Strengthening Programmes supporting families in local communities. SOS has been working in the United Republic of Tanzania since 1991, and runs Children’s Villages and other projects in Tanzania, the organisation runs four Children’s Villages in Arusha, Dar es Salaam, Mwanza and Zanzibar and other programmes in Pemba, Iringa and Mufindi.SOS Children’s Villages Zanzibar seeks to recruit suitably qualified candidates to fill the following vacant positions;
Job Title : Accountant
Duty station : Zanzibar
Reporting to : Senior Accountant
PURPOSE OF THE ROLE
The Accountant is responsible for assisting the Senior Accountant in coordinating and supervising SOS Children’s Villages Programs
- Provides financial matters, ensuring that all Projects operate per Financial Policies and Procedures of SOS Children’s Villages International in line with the Generally Accepted Accounting Principles.
- Supports the Senior Accountant in preparation of monthly financial reports.
- Ensures that all payments are genuine, are appropriately supported and accounted for; and all receipts are properly documented and timely banked.
- In consultation with the Senior Accountant, the Facility/program heads are supported in preparing and developing their annual budgets.
- In collaboration with the Senior Accountant, periodically prepares the income and expense variance analysis and helps to report and suggest adjustments or budget re-allocation where necessary.
- Assist the Senior Accountant in preparing monthly running cost transfer requests in line with the approved budget.
- Participate in carrying out an internal audit for all the Programs / Facilities as per the Internal Audit checklist
- Regularly reviews all supporting documents for payments such as Purchase Request Form, Local Purchase Orders, Invoices, bills, payment vouchers e.t.c. to see if the expenses are appropriate and within the budget limits and the accuracy of the bills and invoices before payment is prepared.
- Regularly checks the Bank and Cash Registers and the Bank Statements of SOS Children’s Village Zanzibar accounts to ensure that all payments and withdrawals are authentic. Immediately reports any irregularity noted for necessary action.
- Prepares Cash and Bank Registers as per the approved payment vouchers daily, ensuring they are correctly coded, and all supporting documents are available.
- Operates petty cash, prepares petty cash vouchers, observes maximum and minimum float amounts, timely requests for reimbursements.
- Ensures room inventories are prepared for all offices/buildings and are reconciled with the fixed asset and D365 asset listings.
- Assist Senior Accountant in ensuring that all measures to strengthen internal control as recommended by auditors in various audit reports are implemented and adhered to by all Program units.
- Administers food and household and clothing allowances for the village according to the approved rates.
- Ensures all salary advances, soft loans, travel advances, and business imprests are recovered in time
- Prepares Bank reconciliation statements and cash registers for Children’s Village, Programs,
- Prepare payment vouchers with relevant accounting codes and numbers and with adequate supporting documents, and that entries made in the registers tally with the payment vouchers.
- Assist Senior Accountant in posting all program transactions to accounting software (D365) daily.
- Assist the Senior Accountant in preparation of income and expense variance analysis monthly.
- Prepares Payables and Receivebles reconciliations for SOS Children’s Village Zanzibar.
- Assist in maintaining of Child Money Gift Register for SOS Children Village Zanzibar.
- Regularly review the bills (telephone, electricity bills, maintenance claims etc.) for payment and submit to the Senior Accountant for checking and authenticity before vouchers are prepared and payment effected.
ACADEMIC QUALIFICATION AND EXPERIENCES:
- Bachelor’s degree in Finance, Accounting/ MBA or a related field
- Final/ Intermediate stage for NBAA examination will be an added advantage
- Plus three (3) years in a relevant field (preferably with an NGO).
- Prior experience in accounting, budgeting, financial controlling, internal audit, accounting software.
- Analytical skills
- High degree of Integrity
Method of ApplicationInterested candidate should submit an application letter by email enclosed by only detailed and updated CV with telephone contacts, email address and details of at least 3 referees. The candidate MUST clearly indicate the title of position applied for. Only contacted candidates for the interview will submit copies of academic and professional certificates
Closing date is 18th August, 2023. To apply please send to;
The National Director, SOS Children’s Villages.
Dares Salaam, Tanzania [email protected]
Please Note: SOS Children’s Villages Tanzania is an equal opportunity employer and committed to keeping children safe from abuse and harm, prevent all forms of exploitations, harassment and abuse among staff, program participant, donors and community members. Therefore candidates applying for this post will be subject to child safeguarding recruitment procedures and checks.
Only short listed candidates will be contacted