WHO Jobs in Tanzania : Surveillance Officer
Welcome to JobwebTanzania.com. This website helps you to achieve your career dream by linking you to vacancies from Top Companies in Tanzania. Job Seekers are also exposed to best articles for career growth and development. Click Here to Subscribe for Job Alerts We strongly advise graduates not to pay money before getting a Job. Report fraudulent jobs to [email protected]
- Company: WHO
- Location: Tanzania
- State: Dar Es Salaam Jobs
- Job type: Full-Time
- Job category: International Jobs in Tanzania
Under the supervision and general guidance of the WHO Representative and in collaboration with the technical unit (IVD) of the Family and Reproductive Health, the incumbent will support the WHO Office in providing technical expertise to the Ministry of Health, Community development, Gender, Elderly and Children, Expanded Program on Immunization for improving planning, management, monitoring and evaluation of Immunization services in Tanzania;
The general terms of reference will be to coordinate consultations, negotiations and discussions with national authorities on policies, strategies, reviews, monitoring and evaluation of various health programmes as will be directed by WHO Representative.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- To support the country’s efforts towards Polio Eradication, Neonatal Tetanus Elimination and Measles elimination;
- Support the design and provision of IDSR training that is designed to improve the capacities of the health system at regional, district and health facility levels.
- To support training of District Health Management teams and peripheral health workers on EPI service delivery, EPI Disease Surveillance and Control;
- To contribute to the development of approaches to improve the management and the use of EPI data at sub national levels, and to strengthen capacity to plan, manage and monitor progress towards achievement of EPI objectives;
- To participate in the investigation of Acute Flaccid Paralysis and Neonatal tetanus, outbreaks of measles and other diseases of Public Health importance.
- Support effective operational integration of disease control efforts based on the surveillance data
- Support initiation and guide outbreak investigations promptly following IDSR Standard Operating Procedures.
- Supports the continuous and reliable identification of both common and newly detected infectious diseases to enable prioritization of interventions for a stronger health system.(IHR 2005 implementation)
- Prepare reports of field investigations and missions; produce monthly reports on surveillance activities and other EPI activities for WHO and MOHSW;
- Collaborate with international agencies supporting vaccine preventable disease control programmes (e.g. UNICEF, UNHCR, CDC, UNFPA, SCF and World Bank) at sub national levels
- Perform any other duties assigned by the WHO Representative.
Educational background and experience:-
- University Degree in Medicine (MBBS, MBChB, MD) from recognized institution.
- Post graduate degree in Public health preferably in epidemiology or other related public health fields.
- At least 5 years of experience in Medical Sciences, Statistics, Epidemiology and Research activities.
- Experience in disease surveillance prevention and control at national and/or international level
Other Skills (e.g. IT):
- Excellent knowledge of Statistical packages, Geo-mapping and Microsoft application (e.g. Excel, Word, Power Point, etc)
Fluency in English and Kiswahili is mandatory.
- Producing results
- Communicating in a credible and effective way
- Building and promoting partnerships across the organization and beyond.
- Respecting and promoting individual and cultural differences
Functional Skills and Knowledge
- Ability to work under pressure to make decision, to elaborate strategies and organize priorities
- Ability to coordinate activities and undertake multitasks
- Strong analytical skills and good judgment.
- Sense of prioritization and attention to detail.
- Ability to liaise with people at all levels and to proactively search for information.
- Self-motivated, flexible and able to innovate.
- Professional commitment.
- Ability to write in a clear and concise manner, and to present information.
- Ability to work in stressful context and under tight deadline
- Ability to work in an international and multi-cultural environment
How to Apply
The interested candidates should address an application comprising of a detailed Curriculum Vitae, copies of certificates/diplomas/degrees and testimonials to:
The WHO Representative 1 Albert Luthuli Street, Ocean Road P 0 Box 9292 Dar es Salaam
N.B. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted