WHO Jobs in Tanzania : Environment and Climate Change Officer SSA
Welcome to JobwebTanzania.com. This website helps you to achieve your career dream by linking you to vacancies from Top Companies in Tanzania. Job Seekers are also exposed to best articles for career growth and development. Click Here to Subscribe for Job Alerts We strongly advise graduates not to pay money before getting a Job. Report fraudulent jobs to [email protected]
- Company: WHO
- Location: Tanzania
- State: Dodoma Jobs
- Job type: Full-Time
- Job category: NGO Jobs in Tanzania
Tanzania through the Ministry of Health, Community Development, Gender, Elderly and Children has been implementing the “Global Framework for Climate Services (GFCS) Adaptation Programme in Africa: Building Resilience in Disaster Risk Reduction (DRR), Food Security and Health through Climate Services”. The phase I of the three-year programme (2014-2017) aimed to increase the resilience of people most vulnerable to the impacts of weather and climate-related hazards in the climate sensitive sectors of DRR, food security, and health.
As phase I was intended to be a “proof of concept”, the country will now embark on implementation of Phase II to build on the accomplishments of the initial phase. Phase II aims to contribute to the increased resilience of vulnerable populations to the impacts of weather and climate related risks through enhanced capacity of National Meteorological and Hydrological Services (NMHS) to provide climate services and enhanced capacity of health, agriculture/food security, and disaster risk reduction to use climate services in decision –making processes.
The outcomes of the programme will contribute to higher order, long-term impacts, such as progress in the country toward Sustainable Development Goals 2, 3 and 13 as well as the Sendai Framework for Disaster Risk Reduction.
In order to further strengthen demonstrated commitment from phase I and leverage existing Climate Change and Health initiatives at country level, the WHO Country Office working closely with the Climate Change Programme within the Ministry will take a leading role in forging new linkages and partnerships across programmes to fulfil the vision of this initiative.
Purpose of the position
To support implementation of the “GFCS: Building Resilience in Disaster Risk Reduction (DRR), Food Security and Health through Climate Services” Programme
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Ensures provision of technical support for activities that contribute towards project outcomes and outputs, either directly or through provision of support to the work of WHO in public health and environment
- Organize and coordinate activities across sectors and stakeholders engaged in climate change and health work including the use climate information to improve health surveillance and early warning systems
- Undertake rapid assessment to identify gaps and areas of improvement in relation to early warning and surveillance of climate sensitive diseases; WASH and other environmental health issues
- Provide technical support to countries to develop their technical and institutional capacities for the implementation of primary prevention interventions, particularly those related to safety of drinking water, safe sanitation, waste management, air pollution and chemicals management.
- Organize Project Coordination Committee (PCC) meetings, and coordinate activities across stakeholders
- Ensure provision of technical support for activities that contribute towards project outcomes and outputs, either directly or through contracting external consultants and services.
- Ensure fulfillment of project monitoring and reporting requirements, including contribute to the design, and monitoring of quantitative and qualitative data to measure progress in implementing the project
- Act as the primary point of contact with the WHO global project team, and the International Steering Committee of the project
- Represent the work of WHO Country Office on climate change and health in national and international forums and media
- Contribute to the further development of the programme of the WHO country Office on climate change and health
- Undertake any other duties as requested by the WR
- Technical reports on activities implemented
- Quarterly Project reports as per donor requirements