United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees Jobs in Tanzania : Head of Field Unit
Welcome to JobwebTanzania.com. This website helps you to achieve your career dream by linking you to vacancies from Top Companies in Tanzania. Job Seekers are also exposed to best articles for career growth and development. Click Here to Subscribe for Job Alerts We strongly advise graduates not to pay money before getting a Job. Report fraudulent jobs to [email protected]
- Company: United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees
- Location: Tanzania
- State: Dar Es Salaam Jobs
- Job type: Full-Time
- Job category: Administrative/Secretarial Jobs in Tanzania
The United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR) Field Office, Kasulu invites qualified internal/external candidates to apply for the following position:
Vacancy Notice No: TANKS/VN/19/005
Position Title: Head of Field Unit
Position No; 10030792
Category: Fixed-Term Appointment (FTA)
Duty Station: Kigoma, Tanzania
Duration: 1 Year
Start Date: 01 May 2019
Issue Date: 26 February 2019
Closing Date: 12th March 2019
Duties and Responsibilities
The position is under direct supervision and guidance of the Head of Field Office on issues concerning programme, protection, external relations, etc. Advice and operational support may also be received from other senior staff and support units at the Branch Office and from the Bureau at Headquarters,
The incumbent represents UNHCR at the field level. She will persuade and obtain assistance of others on matters of non-routine significance. Contacts predominantly with persons on subject matters of importance to Organization’s programmes (@.9. counterparts in other organizations or at working level in national Governments).
While the functional responsibility of a Head of Field Unit will remain the same despite its grade level, the other parameters (therefore the depth and breadth of the competencies such as the size of the population of concern to UNHCR, their specific legal/security concerns, volume of assistance, number of operational / Implementing partners and the size of the Office (ie, number of UNHCR staff and their grade levels) will determine the appropriate grade level. The operational autonomy also depends upon the same parameters/competencies. The supervisor exercises regular oversight and provides guidance, direction and support to the incumbent:
• The Convention concerning the treatment of asylum seekers, IDPs, refugees, retumees and the stateless, where applicable, is disseminated to the local authorities
• UNHCR policies and standards are applied consistently in the Area of Responsibility BOSTADRensure quality proléction of populations of concern.
• A Health, safe and respectful Working environrñent is provided the workforce in the
• Monitor and report on the implementation of refugee conventional responsibilities and international obligations of the local authorities vis-à-vis the population of concern to UNHCR within the AOR.
• Advocate and promote UNHCR standards concerning the treatment of persons of concem.
• Ensure that the basic needs of the concemed population are properly assessed with the participation of the beneficiaries themselves, the host governments and/or the competent Implementing partners and/or UNHCR itself.
• Subject to the needs, ensure that the planning, formulation and budgeting of identified assistance projects are done as per UNHCR programme cycle; upon approval of assistance project, ensure the timely implementation and monitoring of identified assistance activities.
• Ensure through the subordinate staff that all deadlines for monitoring and reporting of UNHCR operational activities are met on a regular basis.
• Manage all UNHCR resources, both human, financial/material, at an optimum level for the wellbeing of the concerned population and the UNHCR staff.
• Ensure that all security measures of UNHCR office and residential, where ever applicable) compounds are always up to date; any security breaches and/or potential security threat should be reported immediately to competent UN security coördinator in the country.
• Ensure that staff welfare, both in terms of working and living conditions, are maintained at a satisfactory level within the constraints in the operational area.
• Guide, coach and advocate the subordinate staff to maintain highest standards of conduct and behaviour through one’s own practice and deeds.
• Prepare and submit regular reports, both verbally and written, to the UNHCR HOFO. In the event of substantial telephone conversation that leads to specific action or non-action, it should be recorded and share with the other party.
• Any other responsibilities/functions deemed necessary or as delegated by the UNHCR Representative of the country in order to meet the level of the services in the organization.
• Represent UNHCR in inter-agency for a and with local authorities in the AOR.
• Enforce compliance with UNHCR’s global protection, programme, finance, human resources and security policies and standards.
• Submit project proposals for assistance to refugees and other persons of concern to UNHCR
• Representation or Sub-Office in coordination with local authorities and NGOs.
Essential Minimum Requirements and Professional Experience:
• Undergraduate degree (equivalent of a BA/BS) in Business Administration, Management, Law, Political Science, International Relations, Economics or a related
• Minimum 3 years of previous work experience relevant to the function.
• Graduate degree (equivalent of a Master’s) plus 2 years or Doctorate degree (equivalent of a PhD) plus 1 year of previous relevant work experience may also be accepted.
• Knowledge of UNHCR mandate and its Field level application.
• Applied knowledge of protection principles, operational arrangements/standards in relation to protection, assistance, UNHCR office management and staff Administration.
• Basic computer skills and working knowledge in MS office software,
• Knowledge of English and working knowledge of local language ie, Kiswahili.
Desirable Qualifications and Competencies:
• Working experience in UNHCR P UNHCR Specific learning/training activities (ie Learning Programme in Mahagontent & Operations).
• Proficiency of the language(s) that are used within the AOR.
• Knowledge of additional UN languages.
How to Apply
Interested candidates should express their interest by completing the attached Personal History Form and the Supplementary form if needed in full. Please bear in mind that submission of the Personal History Form which is not signed may render that applicant ineligible for consideration. Please quote the Vacancy Notice Number and Position title. Due to the volume of applications only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. Shortlisted candidates will be required to sit for a written test followed by oral interview. Qualified female and candidates with disabilities are encouraged to apply. The Expression of Interest for the position should sent by email to: The Head of Field Office UNHCR Field Office Kasulu Email: [email protected]