UNICEF Jobs in Tanzania : Communication for Development Officer
Welcome to JobwebTanzania.com. This website helps you to achieve your career dream by linking you to vacancies from Top Companies in Tanzania. Job Seekers are also exposed to best articles for career growth and development. Click Here to Subscribe for Job Alerts We strongly advise graduates not to pay money before getting a Job. Report fraudulent jobs to [email protected]
- Company: UNICEF
- Location: Tanzania
- State: Dar Es Salaam Jobs
- Job type: Full-Time
- Job category: Administrative/Secretarial Jobs in Tanzania
Tanzania hosts the largest number of Burundian refugees in the eastern and southern Africa region, and when combined with the pre-existing caseload of refugees from the Democratic Republic of the Congo, the total number of refugees and asylum seekers in Tanzania is over 326,942. While the socio-political situation in Burundi and DRC remains tense and unpredictable, cross-border influxes are expected to continue throughout 2019. Refugees in Tanzania are hosted in three refugee camps (Nyarugusu, Mtendeli and Nduta) located along the Burundian boarder. Children are bearing the brunt of the crisis, as 56 per cent of the Burundian and DRC refugee population is under the age of 18 and 22 per cent are under age 5. Children with special needs including unaccompanied and separated children make 6 per cent of the entire refugee population. With overstretched health and nutrition facilities as well as water and sanitation shortages, the risk of disease among the population is increasing. Protection concerns such as separation from families, psychosocial distress, child labor, sexual exploitation and gender-based violence are significant, while inadequate numbers of schools are making it difficult for children to access quality education.
Purpose of the Assignment
To strengthen planning and implementation of strategic social and behaviour communication interventions in Kigoma region.
Duties and Responsibilities:
Given the continued SBCC technical support required in coordination of the SBCC working group in strategic planning and implementations of multi-sectoral interventions in the camps and host communities, the technical assistance is proposed.
The technical support will;
- Advocacy to formalize an SBCC working group and in collaboration with UNHCR and SBCC partners, support the development of agreed terms of reference for the working group.
- Contribute to sustain the momentum of the SBCC group; through finalization of development and adaptation of key messages and packages, supporting IPs to roll out multi-sectoral CIT trainings recently initiated, and to institutionalize harmonized approaches in selection, training and reporting of CITs.
- Mainstream and strengthen capacity in community engagement through key platforms and accountability to affected populations across all SBCC interventions in humanitarian and development contexts, to which the TA will contribute.
- Strengthen Risk communication and Community Engagement (RCCE) focusing on disease outbreak preparedness and response including Ebola and Cholera.
Coordination and planning of strategic C4D
- Provide ongoing coordination and technical leadership of SBCC working group in collaboration with UNHCR and joint planning for delivery of strategic C4D in the camps and host communities.
- Strengthening Risk Communication and Community Engagement (RCCE) focusing on disease outbreak preparedness and response in the region.
- Mainstream C4D in ongoing joint assessment efforts in all sectors both in the humanitarian and development contexts.
- Support finalization and validation of the draft C4D strategic guidance framework for the refugee camps in collaboration with UNHCR and the C4D coordination working group.
- Identify and follow-up on opportunities for mainstreaming C4D in programme documents, proposals, and regular updates including Sitreps.
- Participate in coordination forums, document and follow up on tasks related to C4D.
- In collaboration with UNHCR and partners/SBCC TWG, finalize training package and operational guideline for Communication Information Teams based on the pre-test training conducted. Support strengthening of strategic C4D in key platforms.
- Support planning and implementation of strategic C4D with government counterparts and PCA partners in consultation with key stakeholders including UNHCR, IPs and the local government.
- Facilitate prepositioning and distribution and utilization of multimedia materials. Support development of multi-sectoral multi-media C4D materials as needed including those needed for outbreak preparedness such as Ebola and Cholera.
- In collaboration of with UNHCR and IPs in the SBCC group and mainstreaming Accountability to Affected Population(AAP) / Communicating with Communities (CwC) and PSEA
Monitoring and reporting
- Facilitate rapid KAP assessment in collaboration with SBCC TWG and ensure drivers and barriers for change are considered in C4D planning and monitoring of interventions.
- Ensure C4D is mainstreamed in joint monitoring and reporting efforts
- Compile C4D inputs for regular Sitrep
Monitoring and following up DCTs and undertaking other staff functions including contributing to the development of PCAs, capacity building of government and NGO partners, providing inputs for key reports e.g. donor reports, SitReps, annual reports, and other responsibilities that the manager may provide.
Competency Profile (For details on competencies please refer to the UNICEF Professional Competency Profiles.
- Core Values (Required)
- Commitment (3)
- Diversity and inclusion (3)
- Integrity (3)
- Core Competencies (Required)
- Communication (3)
- Working with people (3)
- Drive for results (3)
- Functional Competencies (Required)
- Formulating strategies and concepts (2)
- Relating and networking (2)
- Applying technical expertise (2)
Background and Experience:
- Advanced degrees in social/behavioral sciences.
- At least 8-10 years of experience in C4D at senior level with extensive experience in C4D training in international contexts.
- Demonstrated sectoral C4D expertise/experience including in health, nutrition, Water, Hygiene and Sanitation, education, and protectionÂ
- Experience in participatory training methodologies.
- Experience in developing and customizing C4D training packages for specific programmes
- Familiarity or previous experience C4D training for UN agencies will be a particular asset
- Fluency in Swahili language is required
“UNICEF is committed to diversity and inclusion within its workforce and encourages qualified female and male candidates from all national, religious and ethnic backgrounds, including persons living with disabilities, to apply to become a part of our organization”