Technical Manager at C40 Cities
- Company: C40 Cities
- Location: Tanzania
- State: Dar Es Salaam Jobs
- Job type: Full-Time
- Job category: NGO Jobs in Tanzania
C40 CAP Technical Officer will be the technical focal point for long-term climate action planning in Dar es Salaam that aligns with the ambitions of the UNFCCC Paris Climate Agreement and Tanzania’s country commitments. This will involve engaging internal and external stakeholders, coordinating consultants to develop additional action pathways and update plans as necessary, including governance frameworks, facilitating knowledge transfer across the city / region, and ensuring sustainability after the project duration. This includes setting / reviewing targets, identifying locally appropriate climate change response actions, and defining measurement, reporting and verification processes.
The C40 CAP Technical Officer’s relationship with the Dar es Salaam City Council and other key stakeholders is critical for efficient and effective delivery. The CAP Technical Officer will be based at the Dar es Salaam City Council Offices in Dar es Salaam, Tanzania.
As the ‘on the ground’ ambassador in Dar es Salaam, the CAP Technical Officer will also help to manage the partnership between the C40 Cities Climate Leadership Group and the Dar es Salaam City Council. This will include identifying and facilitating opportunities for collaboration, learning, innovation, action and advocacy, building local capacity, and building connections with other C40 cities and initiatives.
The ideal candidate will have a strong technical background in carbon accounting (preferably using the Global Protocol for Community Scale Greenhouse Gas Emissions Inventories – GPC), climate action planning, scenario planning and stakeholder engagement; substantial experience working with cities on climate action planning and risk assessments; and excellent problem solving, project management and communication skills.
Supporting the C40 City Adviser and working closely with the C40’s Climate Action Planning Africa team and C40’s Regional Director for Africa, the Technical Officer will develop and deliver a varied technical assistance programme to support the Dar es Salaam City Council in:
- Developing the city’s climate action plan to deliver mitigation and adaptation outcomes, and inclusive low-carbon, climate resilient development consistent with the 1.5˚C target of the Paris Agreement;
- Continuous engagement of the Dar es Salaam’s GHG Inventory team in updating the city’s GHG inventory using the GPC standard, and developing emissions forecasts and reductions scenarios;
- Assist in setting evidence-based emissions reductions targets;
- Assisting with preparation of city climate hazard, risk and impact assessments through comprehensive stakeholder engagement process in mapping hazards;
- Preparation of CAP city workshops to identify/prioritize climate actions and to refine them based on the available tools;
- Identification and development of climate change actions that are appropriate to the city’s context, and evaluating the benefits of these actions;
- Prioritizing climate actions for implementation and preparation of city CAP in accordance with the requirements of C40’s Climate Action Planning Framework;
- Establish and enhance technical collaboration between Dar es Salaam CAP team and other key entities across the country in ensuring both horizontal and vertical integration is achieved in the CAP process.
- Identification and conceptualisation of pilot projects relevant to CAP implementation
- Support the City Adviser in the preparation of a comprehensive CAP Stakeholder Engagement Plan and lead on its endorsement and implementation i.e. continuous engagement with internal and external stakeholders, including local and national government partners, to ensure an all-inclusive CAP process is realized in the city.
- Support the City Adviser in coordinating technical assistance with the aim of building capacity of the city to implement climate action;
- Support the Region’s Team in facilitating the city’s engagement in C40 Cities networks and initiatives.
- A relevant post-graduate degree;
- Demonstrable experience in government, business or NGO sectors with a focus on sustainability and/or climate change, and substantive experience working with or within municipal governments;
- Technical expertise in completing city-wide greenhouse gas emission inventories, undertaking scenario planning, and developing climate action plans;
- Experience in working with climate change adaptation-focused plans;
- Excellent project-management, strategic thinking and analytical capabilities, with MS Excel experience and data management skills;
- Demonstrable problem-solving, including working with third party delivery teams, and ability to manage multiple parallel tasks;
- Strong interpersonal, relationship building and written and verbal communication skills, combined with English fluency;
- Strong stakeholder engagement experience, as well as experience in developing or facilitating webinars and workshops;
- International experience, working across different cultures, languages and time zones.
Applicants must already have the right to work in Dar es Salaam. Limited travel may be required as part of the role.