Team leader Digital Hospitals at GIZ
- Company: GIZ
- Location: Tanzania
- State: Dar Es Salaam Jobs
- Job type: Full-Time
- Job category: IT/Telecom Jobs in Tanzania
Team leader – Digital Hospitals
As a federal enterprise, GIZ supports the German Government in achieving its objectives in the field of international cooperation for sustainable development.
The German Federal Ministry for Economic Cooperation and Development (BMZ) has commissioned GIZ to implement a technical cooperation titled “Improving Health Care Provision” to achieve the objective: the quality and quantity of health services are improved, including access through health insurance. It has five outputs: (1) Digital hospital management information system; (2) Improved neonatal care; (3) improved sexual and reproductive health, in particular Emergency Obstetric and Neonatal Care and family planning services, especially for young people post-partum; (4) Improved community health fund foundations; (5) Data-based facility and council budget planning.
In the area of “Digital hospitals”, the project supports the implementation of a part of the National Digital Health Strategy 2019, specifically its intention of modernising processes in public hospitals and improving quality of care provided using digital technology. The Ministry of Health, Community Development and Gender, Elderly and Children (MOHCDGEC) and the Office of the President of the Regional Administration and Local Government (PORALG) are both working on a management information system (MIS) for health facilities which is to be rolled out to all MOHCDGEC and PORALG operated health facilities. The MIS is intended to digitalise work processes and data, helping to improve overall management, and in the long run also efficiency and effectiveness of these health facilities.
The GIZ project intends to support the roll-out of the software to eight target regional and district hospitals in Tanga and Mbeya. Envisioned inputs from the project include advice on maternal and child health related functions for the new management information system, information technology hardware and network upgrades at each of the target hospitals, advisors to train and roll-out the software including helping hospitals to manage the change, establishment of IT support functions and policy advice on sustaining the improvement such as developing a user support and feedback system and system for peer to peer knowledge exchange.
The ultimate aim of this endeavour is for maternal and child health services delivered by these hospitals to improve with the help of the hospital MIS.
The Improving Health Care Provision in Tanzania project is looking for a full-time team leader in the field of “Digital Hospitals”.
Duty station: Dar es Salaam
Terms of the Contract: Fixed term contract
Under the program manager
- Overall responsibility for the design, planning and implementation of the area “digital hospitals” under the program “Improving Healthcare Provision in Tanzania”
- Overall management of the areas of work – digitalization | “digital hospitals” including operational planning, implementation and steering, coordination with other areas of work and team leaders, counterpart liaison and progress monitoring
- Manages all staff working in this work package (international, national, long- and short-term experts) including performance review and accountability
- Leads the strategic planning of the component (and re-planning, if needed)
- Ensures coherence of the contribution in this area with the overall aim of the program and consideration of digitalization across the other areas of work (active management of interfaces)
- Implementation: among others
- Compliments team members’ work by contributing to the hospital implementation efforts (e.g. conducting training, perform supervision and coaching visits, development of IT based support tools and support hospital MIS system users, drafting hospital IT policies, provide policy advise to counterparts such as hospital management or local health authorities, etc).
- Ensures that hospital MIS roll out work is progressing on schedule and will meet the goals within the stipulated time
- Develops necessary tools and standard operation procedures for rollout and implementation that are aligned with the applicable specifications of the respective government ministries
- Provides technical support to the team members especially in handling obstacles.
- Results-based monitoring of the implementation
- Regularly reports progress to the project manager and contributes to all report writing Professional advisory services
- Continuously monitors the Tanzanian Digital Health landscape and provides policy advice to counterparts in MOHCDECG and PORALG, especially in the area of hospital MIS
Networking and cooperation
- Coordinates with focal points at RHMT | CHMT and in the partner facilities as much as with the technical team from MoHCDGEC and PO-RALG responsible for the software development.
- Engages with key stakeholders (MOHCDGEC and PORALG) for coordination and alignment of GIZ supported activities at different levels with the agreed approach
- Contributes to task forces and technical working groups as part of the Sector Wide Approach and Development Partner Group meetings, if required
- Coordination with GIZ sector initiatives in the area of digitalization in the health sector-wide Approach in Tanzania
- Actively promotes digitalization as a cross-cutting approach and facilitates close cooperation at the interface between different areas of work
- Contributes to GIZ knowledge management and participates actively in sector network activities and IDA communities (internal exchange platform)
- Contributes to written reports, factsheets and various other formats
Other duties/additional tasks
- Supports mobilizing co-funding, developing concepts for project amendments and alike
- Supports GIZ country planning and implementation of the plan
- performs other duties and tasks at the request of management
Required qualifications, competences and experience
- Minimum Bachelor’s degree in Public Health and Master’s degree in Health Informatics or equivalent (or vice versa); international degree as an asset
- Minimum of eight years of relevant professional experience in developing and implementing Hospital Information Systems
- Qualifications and experience in project management is an added advantage
- Three years of experience in policy advisory roles to governments! institutions
- Proven track record (5 years) in implementing hospital information system reform initiatives in low resourced country settings.
- Fluency in both written and spoken English.
- Excellent communication and report writing skills
Method of Application
Interested candidates should send their letter of application together with the CV and copies of academic certificates by email to [email protected].
Please use the subject line “Digital Hospitals”.
Applications in hard copy will not be accepted. Closing date for submission: 27.03.2020
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
GIZ Tanzania is an equal opportunities employer and encourages applications from all qualified and eligible candidates regardless of their gender, origin, religion/belief, disability or any other minority group.