Statistician – Database Management Specialist at East African Community
Welcome to JobwebTanzania.com. This website helps you to achieve your career dream by linking you to vacancies from Top Companies in Tanzania. Job Seekers are also exposed to best articles for career growth and development. Click Here to Subscribe for Job Alerts We strongly advise graduates not to pay money before getting a Job. Report fraudulent jobs to [email protected]
- Company: East African Community
- Location: Tanzania
- State: Dar Es Salaam Jobs
- Job type: Full-Time
- Job category: IT/Telecom Jobs in Tanzania
The East African Community (EAC) is the regional inter-governmental organisation of the 6 Partner States, namely the Republics of Burundi, Kenya, Rwanda, South Sudan, the United Republic of Tanzania, and the Republic of Uganda, with its headquarters in Arusha, Tanzania. The EAC mission is to widen and deepen economic, political, social and cultural integration to improve the quality of life of the people of East Africa through increased competitiveness, value added production, trade and investments. To achieve these objectives, the key building blocks are the Customs Union, Common Market, Monetary Union and ultimately the Political Federation. The EAC started a fully-fledged Customs Union in January, 2010 and implementation of the Common Market in July, 2010 while the East African Monetary Union Protocol (EAMU) was signed in November 2013 and is under implementation.
The EAMU Protocol, among others, requires the Partner States to develop and adopt common methods, concepts, definitions and classifications for compiling, analysing and disseminating the statistics necessary for the proper functioning of the Monetary Union, while observing internationally accepted best practices. To support implementation of this requirement, the EAC Secretariat has secured a grant from the World Bank to implement a 5-year Project, the EAC Statistics Development and Harmonization Regional Project (EAC/Stat-DHRP). The objective of this project is to develop the statistical capacity of the EAC Statistics Department and the National Statistical Offices (NSOs) to produce harmonized and quality statistics necessary for planning, implementing, and monitoring the EAC integration agenda.
The Secretariat therefore invites applications from highly motivated and result-driven professionals who are citizens of EAC Partner States to apply for the project position tenable at the EAC Secretariat detailed below.
STATISTICIAN – DATABASE MANAGEMENT SPECIALIST
Job Grade equivalent: P2
Job reports to: Project Manager
Job Purpose: To enhance the database management and dissemination EAC socio-economic statistics in EAC, it’s Partner States and other stakeholders.
Duties and responsibilities
- Enhance the development, update and maintenance of the statistics databases at the EAC Secretariat to support effective dissemination of EAC statistical data;
- Build the capacity of the Partner States to maintain and regularly update their Open Data Platform (ODPs) to support exchange of statistical information;
- Advise on appropriate national and regional frameworks for statistical databases management;
- Identify challenges to timely data exchange at Partner States and EAC level and develop pragmatic proposals for address them;
- Ensure the quality of EAC statistics portal and databases and their timely updating;
- Liaise with international agencies to champion adoption of a data sharing technology for the region (such as SDMX technology), that overcomes the differences in database architectures adopted by various producers of data to ease data and metadata sharing in the Community;
- Provide technical backstopping to Partner States at various stages of database development and management;
- Establish a framework for regular and timely submission of statistical data to the Secretariat and ensuring compliance to the agreed submission deadlines;
- Provide a platform for comprehensive exchange of experiences and sharing the regional capacities among EAC Partner States; and
- Perform any other duties as shall be assigned the Project Manager.
Qualifications and experience
- A Masters degree from a recognised University/ Institution in either Statistics; mathematics, Computer Science, Information Technology or related field;
- At least 8 years demonstrated experience in design. development, and management of statistical data bases , 3 of which must be at senior level; and
- Certificate in either Microsoft Access, SQL Server or any other professional certification will be an added advantage.
Competencies and skills
- Excellent knowledge of database software including ACCESS, STATA, SPSS, R, and/or other statistical programmes;
- Ability to design the structure of databases and write appropriate interfaces for data entry and ensure data quality and security;
- Ability to use Microsoft Access databases for statistical purposes such as collection, analysis and dissemination;Experience in capacity building programs including managing, training and supporting staff; and
- Team work, effective communication, fluent in English, computer, statistical, analytical, conceptual ability to work in a multicultural environment and establish harmonious and effective relationships with national, regional and international partners.
Only applicants from EAC Partner States are eligible to apply for the above position.
Terms and Conditions of Service
These are project positions supported by Donor Funds, and are non-established in the Secretariat for which contract terms are limited to the period of the project. The successful candidates will be recruited for an initial period of two (2) years and the contract may be renewed for another two (2) years, subject to project budgeting and a satisfactory performance evaluation.
All posts offer attractive fringe benefits including housing allowance, transport allowance, education allowance, a medical scheme, and insurance cover.
All candidates applying must have qualifications that are recognized by the relevant national accreditation body in their respective Partner State. This condition is applicable for locally and internationally attained qualifications.
All professions that require registration with the specific professional bodies will be expected to do so in compliance with the requirements of their respective Partner States.
Relevant Working Experience
Internship, training and apprenticeship will not be considered as relevant work experience.
The EAC is an equal opportunity employer; therefore, female candidates are particularly encouraged to apply. EAC will only respond to those candidates who strictly meet the set requirements.
How to ApplyInterested candidates who meet the qualification and experience requirements for the above mentioned positions are advised to send their applications, detailed curriculum vitae, photocopies of academic certificates, names and contact details of three referees, and copy of National Identity Card, or Birth Certificate or Passport showing date of birth. Please quote the respective reference number on both the application letter and envelope. For electronic submission, please quote the respective reference number on the subject of the email and send to the address given below. Applications should be submitted to the address below not later than Monday, 05th August 2019. Please note:
- You may submit your application either electronically or in hard copy but not both.
- Applications which do not: indicate nationality and age; the reference number; or have an application letter attached; have certified copies of their academic degrees and other professional Certificates; or fail to provide three referees will be disqualified.
- Only qualified candidates will be contacted