Research Assistant – Traditional Vegetables Genebank at World Vegetable Center
- Company: World Vegetable Center
- Location: Tanzania
- State: Dar Es Salaam Jobs
- Job type: Full-Time
- Job category: Graduates Jobs in Tanzania
- Conduct seed inventory and monitor seed health and viability in the genebank;
- Develop experimental plans, supervise field activities for regeneration and characterization of genebank accessions and analyze the collected data;
- Update, compile and periodically submit germplasm data to databases;
- Assist with handling seed requests and germplasm distribution to requesters in and outside the Center;
- Contribute to project activities involving traditional African vegetables and field surveys;
- Collaborate with breeders, genebank scientists, nutrition specialist, molecular breeders, and other scientists to characterize African traditional vegetable accessions and identify suitable lines for variety development;
- Perform agronomical and physiological analyses in field trials;
- Perform other duties as assigned by the supervisor.
- A Master’s degree in Agronomy, Plant Genetic Resources, Plant breeding, Horticulture or in a related field.
- Minimum one year of experience in germplasm management, including conservation, characterization or evaluation.
- Experience in conducting field experiments.
- Knowledge of seed quality management, seed conservation (medium and long-term) is essential.
- Basic knowledge of plant physiology and reproductive systems.
- Familiarity with the legal situation of germplasm movement, especially with regard to the Tanzanian legislative framework for seed import and export.
- Excellent computational skills in database, statistical analysis and customized software applications used in genebanks is an advantage.
- Excellent communication skills.
- High motivation to develop new skills.
This is a Nationally Recruited Staff position with competitive pay and benefits. The position is only open to Tanzanian nationals or candidates with legal permission to work in Tanzania. The initial appointment is for one year and may be extended depending on the requirement, funding availability, and performance of the incumbent. The position is available with immediate effect.
Method of Application
Applicants are invited to submit a letter of application explaining their suitability for and interest in the position along with a detailed curriculum vitae, a recent passport size photograph, names and addresses (including telephone/fax/e-mail) of three referees, and date of availability. Please send applications stating the job title “Research Assistant – Traditional vegetables Genebank” by e-mail to [email protected] by the closing date on 15 October 2019. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.