Program and Operations Manager at Freedom House
- Company: Freedom House
- Location: Tanzania
- State: Dar Es Salaam Jobs
- Job type: Full-Time
- Job category: NGO Jobs in Tanzania
Freedom House is seeking a Program and Operations Manager to support a program focused on evidence-based advocacy by Tanzanian civil society. The Program and Operations Manager will work in close collaboration with the Chief of Party (CoP) and other staff to provide program management oversight and ensure timely and effective program operations and activities. S/he will be responsible for working closely with the CoP in managing partner relationships and staff; coordinating and ensuring quality of all program monitoring, evaluation and learning activities; and meeting reporting requirements. The Program and Operations Manager will be a full-time employee based in Dar es Salaam and reporting to the CoP in Tanzania.
PRINCIPAL DUTIES, RESPONSIBILITIES, AND EXPECTATIONS:
- Oversee daily program administration and operations ensuring compliance with USG regulations, timeliness, and cost effectiveness of activities;
- Work closely with the CoP to address challenges that may arise during program performance and deliver creative solutions;
- Oversee work of program officers on a daily basis;
- Responsible for timely development and delivery of all program reports;
- Responsible for overseeing day-to-day partner relations, including closely coordinating program operations with core partner Pact;
- Lead program monitoring and evaluation efforts by ensuring quality of data collection, verification, analysis, and reporting as well as working closely with the CoP to facilitate learning from program data and appropriate adaptation of activities;
- In coordination with CoP, network and liaise with program partners, subgrantees, consultants, members of governments, civil society organizations, international and regional bodies, and private funders;
- Travel to program sites within the region to monitor activities; and
- Other related duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree, Master’s degree preferred, in international development, public administration, program management or other relevant field.
- At least 8 years of experience in management of development programs; and
- Experience in challenging environments and flexibility to apply lessons learned from other contexts.
- Demonstrated leadership skills and experience overseeing or coordinating development program operations and activities;
- Experience leading or playing a substantial role in monitoring, evaluation, and learning processes;
- Experience managing and prioritizing multiple tasks and conceptualizing management or operational plans;
- Experience preparing reporting to donors on the progress of program activities;
- Experience with program budget management and oversight;
- Experience overseeing program staff, ensuring that they produce high-quality deliverables in a timely manner;
- Experience in building and maintaining productive working relationships with a wide network of partners and stakeholders, including host governments, civil society partners, and donors strongly preferred;
- Fluency in English oral communication and strong writing skills are required;
- Fluency in spoken and written Kiswahili required;
- Knowledge of USG rules and regulations; and
- Ability to use productivity software such as MS Word, Outlook, PowerPoint, and Microsoft Excel.
Attributes and Characteristics:
- Eagerness to learn and willingness to embrace change and adapt;
- Exhibit strong and sustained commitment to the mission of Freedom House;
- Show good stewardship in the use of Freedom House resources;
- Respond promptly to stakeholder needs, and solicit stakeholder feedback to improve service quality;
- Exhibit excellent phone etiquette, pleasant demeanor, and ethical conduct;
- Consistently use good judgment when dealing with all contacts and constituents;
- Exhibit high work standards, adherence to policies and procedures, and responsibility for assigned tasks;
- Demonstrate strong desire for excellence, and desire to inspire others to attain professional excellence;
- Assess own strengths and weaknesses, pursue training and development opportunities, and strive to continuously build knowledge and skills;
- Ability to work independently with minimal supervision and collaboratively as part of a team; and
- Flexible with a good sense of humor and positive attitude.
- Internal: U.S. and Tanzania-based employees at Freedom House
- External: Local partners, USAID, U.S. Embassy, Government of Tanzania, consultants, other implementers, media, vendors, members of the general public, etc.
- General working office environment in Dar es Salaam, Tanzania;
- Some evening and weekend hours to complete tasks or attend events;
- Travel within Tanzania and possibly East Africa;
- Exposed to outside weather conditions when required to complete assigned tasks outside the office; and
- May involve work in regions that are remote and lack basic modern infrastructure, and in regions under U.S. travel advisory due to threats of terrorist attacks, civil unrest, kidnappings, disease outbreaks, etc.