Medical Rehabilitation Officer (Orthopedic) at International Rescue Committee
Welcome to JobwebTanzania.com. This website helps you to achieve your career dream by linking you to vacancies from Top Companies in Tanzania. Job Seekers are also exposed to best articles for career growth and development. Click Here to Subscribe for Job Alerts We strongly advise graduates not to pay money before getting a Job. Report fraudulent jobs to [email protected]
- Company: International Rescue Committee
- Location: Tanzania
- State: Dar Es Salaam Jobs
- Job type: Full-Time
- Job category: NGO Jobs in Tanzania
The International Rescue Committee responds to the world’s worst humanitarian crises and helps people to survive and rebuild their lives. Founded in 1933 at the request of Albert Einstein, IRC offers life-saving care and life-changing assistance to refugees forced to flee from war or disaster. At work today in more than 30 countries and in 22 U.S. cities, IRC restores safety, dignity and hope to millions who are uprooted by conflict or disaster. IRC leads the way from harm to home.
The IRC has been present in Tanzania for 25 years, supporting refugees and Tanzanians with health, education and protection. With a National Office in Dar es Salaam and field offices in Kasulu, Kibondo and Kigoma, the IRC serves over 200,000 people each year.
The IRC currently has over 200 staff and employs a further 2,000 refugee workers to enable the frontline delivery of its programmes. Together, we aim to provide the best possible impact for some of the most vulnerable children, women and men. In all that we do, IRC strives to deliver through IRC’s core values of Integrity, Accountability and Service.
Medical Rehabilitation Officer (Orthopedic) is responsible for the identification of orthopedic related needs in Nyarugusu refugee camp in Kasulu district in coordination with Medical Rehabilitation Supervisor and Health Manager. This position reports to Medical Rehabilitation Supervisor in Nyarugusu camp, the position will work closely with Medical Rehabilitation Officers (Physiotherapist).
- Support the Medical Rehabilitation Supervisor and other officers to ensure quality implementation of medical rehabilitation activities in Nyarugusu refugees camp, ensuring adherence to donor agreement and regulations, as well as IRC Tanzania’s country program strategic plan
- Responsible for the identification of the orthopedic related needs and share with the medical rehabilitation manager and medical rehabilitation officers (Physiotherapist) for the purpose of supporting them through the workshop serving the clients with orthopedic needs according to the available local resources in coordination with the Medical rehabilitation team in line with the guiding tools and professional practices.
- Support the refugees rehabilitation assistants (Orthopedic) to meet the project objectives by liaising with them, counseling, demonstrating, advising and facilitating
- Utilize the basic Orthopedic knowledge to design facilities for basic and local devices to be utilized by PWDs through adaptation in the community level
- This position shares basic technical knowledge with refugee rehabilitation assistants(Orthopedic) and assist them in planning and simple fabrication of local orthopedic appliance
- Identify and implement ways to increase awareness of support to cases with orthopedic needs in the community and organizing o job training/sessions to the community o the managements of different types of disabilities through orthopedic procedures
- Support orthopedic needs for the cases from the host communities as identified in coordination with medical rehabilitation officers/ protection officer and approvals from Health sector head depending on the available resources.
- Ensure that cases with orthopedic needs are supported through a coordinated case management system with other sectors and create awareness on the needs that can be addressed through community mobilization
- Working closely with the medical rehabilitation officers and protection officers to pan activities, and monitor their outcomes in ways which combine the needs of the refugees, agency/donor requirements and available resources.
- Supports medical rehabilitation manager in tracking indicators and analysis of data ,preparation of activities reports, monthly and donor reports and proposal as required
- Ensure that the design of simple appliances meets the need of clients in relation to the environment and not producing more harm to the clients utilizing the appliances
- Share technical expertise with refugees rehabilitation assistants (Orthopedic) and assist them in planning and fabricate simple orthopedic appliances in line with the local available resources
- Collaborate with the protection staff in advocating for the accessible environment for PSNs/PWDs through awareness creation and house adaptation services
- Supervise 4 incentive staff rehabilitation assistants(Orthopedic)
- Carry out standard personnel management functions including performance management and support for the professional development of the rehabilitation assistants(orthopedic) in coordination with Medical rehabilitation Manager and other officers
- Prepare staff duty roster for incentive staff assistants (orthopedic) in coordination with Medical rehabilitation manager and other officers to meet program objectives
- Responsible for welfare and discipline of rehabilitation assistants in coordination with the Medical rehabilitation manager
- Attend and participate in trainings identified or organized by supervisor
- Follow any new procedures and guidelines designated in circulars from country director
- Report any violation of the IRC Sexual abuse and exploitation code of conduct (Tanzanian and worldwide) as per IRC Tanzania reporting mechanism. The reporting of violations is an obligation on the part of all IRC staff members
- Assist where necessary in undertaking activities that aim to prevent the occurrence of sexual abuse and exploitation of refugee by IRC and other humanitarian worker
- Represent IRC at interagency meetings as assigned
- Assist in control and proper usage of stationary and other items relating to work
- Perform other duties as assigned by your supervisor
- BSc. or diploma in orthopedic technology with at least 1 year relevant experience
- Experience working in the area of Persons with disabilities and other vulnerable persons is required
- Experience working in community based services in the refugee camp desirable
- Must be Tanzanian
- Ability of working independently with a high degree of initiative required
- Knowledge of MS word ,Excel and outlook required and ability to track and manage data
- Fluent in English and Swahili language