Integrated Pest management at PCI Tanzania
- Company: PCI Tanzania
- Location: Tanzania
- State: Tanzania Jobs
- Job type: Full-Time
- Job category: Healthcare/Medical Jobs in Tanzania
The main objective for the position of DASO is to support and strengthen the capacity of Mara Region Administration and the extension system to apply integrated pest management (IPM) approaches and technologies for the control of Fall armyworm and other crop pests. This position also serves as the sector’s two-way communication between PCI, the respective District Councils and other local partners implementing Fall armyworm or other pest management interventions.
- Implementation of Africa Fall armyworm Response Mechanism initiative: Coordinate recruitment and training of extension officers on integrated pest management and AfriFARM. Facilitate data collection and synchronization of AfriFARM data for preparation of District and Regional Dashboard
- Quality Assurance and Innovation: Provides oversite for implementation of specific technical area (AfriFARM). Facilitate or supervise AfriFARM training sessions to ensure quality of training.
- Documentation and Reporting: Ensure documented record and photos exists for AfriFARM activities implemented in Mara Region
- Representation: Represent PCI in technical meetings on Integrated Pest management
Required Skills & Qualifications:
- Bachelor’s degree in agriculture, agronomy, pest management or environmental sciences with special reference to integrated pest management.
- A minimum of two years’ experience with identifying pests and diseases as well as treatment methods of field crops; experience with pesticide use and biological controls, specifically regarding modes of action and techniques of application.
- Must have a hands-on experience using smartphone application or any IT solution in solving agricultural or any other community development challenges.
- Ability to effectively perform all aspects of integrated pest management including establish and operate a monitoring program for pest management, develop and implement field test to evaluate the efficacy of varied pest management techniques and pesticide application. Plan, coordinate, and training on integrated pest management principles and in the operation of IT or related equipment associated with the application of products. Identify and interpret signs and symptoms of plant stresses including pest diseases and abiotic responses.
- Must be IT literate and demonstrate passion for innovations on Information Technology. Extensive experience in community participation and consultative-implementation. Possesses the knowledge and experience to analyze national, regional, and local politics.
- Creativity and analytical capacity to design and implement agriculture projects Flexibility to adjust to new implementation practices and new strategic guidance as per the changing political environment. Ability to manage multiple tasks and work under pressure in insecure environments. Experience implementing donor funded projects preferred.
- Excellent communication and presentation skills desired. Good team worker, good listener, high communication skills. Spoken and written fluency in local languages required. Fluency in English and Kiswahili preferred. Good skills using MS Word, Excel, Outlook and smartphones.
A first review of candidates will happen after November 18th, 2019
PCI is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Only Successful Candidates will be contacted
Job Location Musoma, Tanzania, United Republic of
Position Type Full-Time/Regular