Ifakara Health Institute Jobs in Tanzania : Research Officer
- Company: Ifakara Health Institute
- Location: Tanzania
- State: Dar Es Salaam Jobs
- Job type: Full-Time
- Job category: NGO Jobs in Tanzania
IHI is looking for a suitably qualified Research Officer (1post) and Research Assistant (2 posts) to join the HIA4SD project team to assist with supervising and conducting quantitative and qualitative data collection for field components of the project.
The role is for a duration of two and a half (2.5) months from March 2019.
Apply by 17hrs, Feb. 21 2019
Ifakara Health Institute (IHI) is a leading research organization in Africa with a strong track record in developing, testing and validating innovations for health.
Driven by a core strategic mandate for research, training and services, the Institute’s work now spans a wide spectrum, covering biomedical and ecological sciences, intervention studies, health-systems research and policy translation.
Position: Research Officer (1 post)
Recruitment Station: IHI Dar es Salaam Office with field travels to HIA4SD study mining projects
Reports to: Project Leader
The “Health Impact Assessments for Engaging Natural Resource Extraction Projects for Sustainable Development” (HIA4SD) project, which is under the Environmental Health and Ecological Sciences (EHES) Department at IHI, conducts research – complemented by a strong capacity building component – to facilitate a policy dialogue for strengthening the application of impact assessments as a regulatory mechanism for mining projects in Tanzania, and to promote sustainable development in Africa.
IHI is looking for a suitably qualified Research Officer to join the HIA4SD project team to assist with supervising and conducting quantitative and qualitative data collection for field components of the HIA4SD projects. The role is for a duration of two and a half (2.5) months from March 2019.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
• Support recruitment of local level data collectors in study sites.
• Support training of local level data collectors prior to beginning data collection.
• Support community sensitization and engagement with local leaders and stakeholders in study sites
• Map data collection process, and identify study participants in respective study sites.
• Assist PhD student (local PI) in setting up interviews, finding study participants and engaging with local leaders and community members.
• Conduct and oversee quantitative and qualitative data collection in study sites.
• Lead and oversee data entry, transcription and translation of qualitative data.
• Undertake any other tasks that the supervisor shall reasonably require from time to time.
Qualifications and Experience
• A bachelor’s degree in Sociology, Social Sciences, Public Health, Health Economics, Epidemiology, General Science or Environmental Sciences.
• Up to 2 years of experience in field-based research; experiences in public health programs is preferable.
• Experience in supervising research teams, including working with data collectors in the field, coordinating and conducting qualitative interviews.
• Experience in transcribing interviews, and translating interviews from Swahili to English.
• Knowledge of guidelines and rules governing research involving human subjects.
Skills and Competencies
• Excellent command of both oral and written English and Kiswahili languages.
• Excellent computer software skills – Microsoft Office, Microsoft Excel and Power Point.
• Ability to work proactively and independently with minimal supervision.
• Excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
• Attention to detail, structured and well-organized.
• Willingness to travel to and live within the project region for a period of up to 2.5 months.
• Adhere to IHI core values (Transparency, Accountability, Respect, Integrity and Initiative).
Method of Application
All candidates who meet the above job requirements should send their application letters together with their detailed curriculum vitae (CVs) showing contact addresses including email, telephone/cell phone numbers and copies of academic and professional certificates to the address below. The deadline for this application is 1700hrs Monday, February 21 2019. Please, indicate on the application envelope or email subject line the position you are applying for: e.g. RESEARCH ASSISTANT. Please, also note that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted for interview: Human Resources Manager, Ifakara Health Institute, Kiko Avenue, Mikocheni, P. o. Box 78373, Dar es Salaam. Email: [email protected]