ICAP Jobs in Tanzania : Boat Skipper
Welcome to JobwebTanzania.com. This website helps you to achieve your career dream by linking you to vacancies from Top Companies in Tanzania. Job Seekers are also exposed to best articles for career growth and development. Click Here to Subscribe for Job Alerts We strongly advise graduates not to pay money before getting a Job. Report fraudulent jobs to [email protected]
- Company: ICAP
- Location: Tanzania
- State: Dar Es Salaam Jobs
- Job type: Full-Time
- Job category: Administrative/Secretarial Jobs in Tanzania
ICAP at Columbia University is a Non-Governmental Organization affiliated with Columbia University’s Mailman School of Public Health (MSPH) registered in Tanzania as MSPH Tanzania LLC since February 2005 (SO No. 12987). ICAP currently operates in nine regions across Tanzania and employs over 200 people to deliver public health interventions in close collaboration with the Ministry of Health, Community Development, Gender, Elderly, and Children (MOHCDGEC) and the National AIDS Control Program (NACP). Since October 2016, ICAP has been receiving PEPFAR funding from Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) for a 5-year project delivering HIV interventions as the community implementing partner. Known in country as the FIKIA Project and currently in Year 3 of 5 for implementation, the project provides community-based HIV prevention interventions including HIV testing to key and vulnerable populations (KVP). The goal of FIKIA is to accelerate, expand, and improve the quality of comprehensive community-based HIV prevention services to KVP in order to achieve epidemic control. FIKIA implementation spans a total of 46 districts across nine regions (including Kagera, Kigoma, Mwanza, Geita, Simiyu, Mara, Pwani, Tanga, and Dar es Salaam), aiming to deliver essential HIV interventions to nearly ICAP is now seeking to fill the below positions with competent and dynamic individuals for the FIKIA project:
Position Title: Boat Skipper
Reports to: Fleet Supervisor
Location: Mwanza (with travel to Geita, Kagera & Mara)
Overall Job Function:
The Boat Skipper will be responsible for the safe operation of the vessel and must ensure that it is operated and crewed according to both ICAP and other country marine guidelines. He will also be in charge aboard the Boat and have command of a Boat and over the whole crew.
Specific Responsibilities and Duties:
• Shall be in charge of the vessel whilst on charter and assume the responsibility for the safety and wellbeing of the clients and crew. Shall ensure no compromise on the safety of the Boat and passengers on board and report all accidents/incidents as per regulations and maritime laws requirements.
• Ensure that at all times the vessel is in a safe and seaworthy condition and ready for charter or notify the Supervisor if the Boat is not seaworthy.
• Maintain any regulatory obligations that are required for the position.
• Maintain all documentation relevant to the Boat as per regulations and maritime laws.
• Responsible for the maintenance and appearance of the vessel, this includes responsibility for cleanliness and pumping out of the Boats.
• Responsible for the conduct of other ICAP staff during the trip and is obliged to report irregularities to management.
• Ensure that he observes the laws and regulations in force on Lake Victoria maritime and Tanzania as a whole and ensure the Boat operate per the law.
• Ensure the vessels is safely secured to the wharf, jetty or mooring and ensure it is left in a secure state with all windows, doors, vents closed and follow regulations and maritime procedures for engine room shutdown including ensuring domestic systems such as water pumps and gas bottles are turned off.
• Maintain Boat’s and equipment on board, such as engines, winches, navigational systems, fire extinguishers, and life preservers.
• Take a lead role in promoting safe practices and implementation of Health & Safety policies, particularly when the vessel is under way.
• Liaise with the respective Harbour Master and any other responsible personnel with regard to weather and water conditions to ensure the safety and enjoyment of passengers at all times.
• Responsible to ensure all routine maintenances are done.
• Perform any other duty as may be assigned from time to time by the Supervisor.
Required Minimum Qualifications, Knowledge and skills:
• Candidates should hold a License for operating a passenger vessel.
• Should possess a relevant firefighting and First Aid qualifications.
• At least four (4) years’ experience of successful operation of similar vessel.
• Conversant with and commitment to Health and Safety practices.
• Candidates should have good interpersonal skills and the ability to communicate effectively both in English and Kiswahili.
• The ability to determine priorities and work to agreed objectives.
How to Apply
Qualified applicants should send their cover letter and CV by 11th February, 2019 via email to [email protected] , mentioning in the subject line the Position Title and Job Location. Only short listed applicants will be contacted. Please do NOT attach any certificates when submitting online. ICAP is an equal opportunity employer; women are encouraged to apply. Email to [email protected] ,