Finance Manager at The Nature Conservancy
- Company: The Nature Conservancy
- Location: Tanzania
- State: Dar Es Salaam Jobs
- Job type: Full-Time
- Job category: Accounting Jobs in Tanzania
Job ID 48083
Location Kigoma, Tanzania
The Nature Conservancy recognizes that successful protection efforts must include both the forest and the lake while balancing the resource needs of people. The Nature Conservancy has partnered with Pathfinder International to share the tools communities seek to help them live healthy lives in balance with their environment. We are calling this collaborative effort Tuungane (Kiswahili for “Let’s Unite!”). Through a grassroots-community approach we are empowering local people to sustainably manage their own natural resources through village land-use planning, co-operative fisheries management and micro-finance programs. In turn, improving access to primary and reproductive health for people provides increased capacity for sustainably managing their natural resources.
YOUR POSITION WITH TNC
The Finance Manager will provide specialized finance/accounting-related services to the Tuungane Program. The position is based in Kigoma, Tanzania
Responsible for supporting all areas of finance for the Tuungane Program in Western Tanzania, a joint project between two organizations: The Nature Conservancy and Pathfinder International. Perform financial analysis, compare estimates to actual results, and recommend corrective action as appropriate for the joint program. Generate periodic internal and external reports for the Tuungane program management team, leadership and partner organization as well as assist in developing and implementing appropriate systems such as efficient mobile payment system, policies and procedures related to financial reporting and analysis. Serve as resource to staff on financial matters, policies, procedures, guidelines, and educate staff as required. Maintain and oversee a cost sharing system between TNC and Partner organizations, support project in developing solution-oriented implementation plans.
RESPONSIBILITIES AND SCOPE
- Works toward meeting the strategic priorities of the program by developing and coordinating tactics for approved plans and completing day-to-day tasks.
- Ensures programmatic commitments, TNC policies and procedures, financial standards and legal requirements are met and managed for compliance.
- Reinforces consistency in the organization’s policies and procedures and provides support related to relevant field.
- Design, implement, and direct multiple projects, setting deadlines and ensuring program accountability.
- Resolves complex issues independently within program area. Cultivates the creative ideas of others, projecting potential outcomes. Experiments to find creative solutions.
- Acts as a resource to others to solve problems and member of the Tuungane program’s senior management team.
- Financial responsibility may include working within a budget to complete projects, contracts, assisting with budget development, and meeting fundraising targets.
- May serve as a team leader for assigned projects and coordinate the work of others.
- Gain cooperation from individuals or groups over whom there is no direct authority in order to accomplish program goals.
- Responsibility and accountability for meeting departmental goals and objectives.
- Provide a leadership role in integrating financial management to support conservation objectives.
- Excellent communication and presentation skills.
- Consistently demonstrate professional, positive, and approachable attitude/demeanor and discretion.
- Demonstrate sensitivity in handling confidential information.
- Provides a variety of information to staff and others to assist workflow throughout the organization.
- Duties may require non-routine analysis, research and follow-through.
- Duties are performed under minimal supervision.
• Bachelor’s Degree in Finance or Accounting and 5 years’ related work experience or equivalent combination.
• Experience using accounting and financial reporting systems.
• Technical experience with accounting/financial issues.
• Fluency in English and Kiswahili language(s).
• CPA or ACCA preferred.
• At least 5 years related work experience or equivalent combination.
• Excellent analytical and quantitative skills
• Expert knowledge of GAAP and understanding of fund accounting principles, practices and regulations.
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
• Technical expert on complex accounting/financial issues.
• Experience using and maintaining automated systems.
• Strong organizational skills, accuracy, attention to detail and ability to multi-task.
• Multi-cultural experience appreciated.
Method of Application
To apply to position number 48083, submit resume (required) and cover letter separately using the upload buttons. All applications must be submitted in the system prior to 11:59 p.m. Eastern Time on 31st October 2019. Click “submit” to apply for the position or “save for later” to create a draft application for future submission. Once submitted, applications cannot be revised or edited. Failure to complete required fields may result in your application being disqualified from consideration. If you experience technical issues, please refer to our applicant user guide or contact [email protected] The Nature Conservancy is an Equal Opportunity Employer Our commitment to diversity includes the recognition that our conservation mission is best advanced by the leadership and contributions of people of diverse backgrounds, beliefs and culture. Recruiting and mentoring staff to create an inclusive organization that reflects our global character is a priority and we encourage applicants from all cultures, races, colors, religions, sexes, national or regional origins, ages, disability status, sexual orientation, gender identity, military, protected veteran status or other status protected by law. The successful applicant must meet the requirements of The Nature Conservancy’s background screening process.