Evidence & Insights Manager at Girl Effect Tanzania
- Company: Girl Effect Tanzania
- Location: Tanzania
- State: Tanzania Jobs
- Job type: Full-Time
- Job category: NGO Jobs in Tanzania
Who we are
Girl Effect builds youth brands and mobile platforms to empower girls to change their lives
We’re a creative non-profit, empowering girls to change their lives. Started by the Nike Foundation, we are experts in media, mobile, brand and international development: a unique mix of skills that we use to solve global problems in a different way.
We work across the world in places where girls are marginalised and vulnerable. We create youth brands and mobile platforms for young people in ways they love and interact with. We deliver these through the media and mobile tech they use every day – from apps that build skills, to TV dramas that explore vital issues, to magazines written by girls.
In Tanzania, Girl Effect has launched a new youth brand to deliver behaviour change via mobile products and off-line activities. It also runs a mobile based research programme operated by girls; TEGA:
- The brand will include a website, Facebook page, IVR content and chatbots. We are also partnering with existing networks of ambassadors and clubs to broaden the reach and impact of our products.
- Our TEGA research programme is borne out of the understanding that an adolescent girl is more likely to feel comfortable speaking truthfully about her life to another girl like her. TEGA employs girls from hard to reach communities to become qualified researchers. By using girls with a shared identity, TEGA is proven to increase propensity for authentic responses.
What we do
The Evidence & Insights team within Girl Effect conducts formative research, monitoring and evaluation to support the organisation in designing and developing our work to create the greatest impact for girls. We also work closely with the partnerships team to measure and evaluate our work against our specific objectives and demonstrate our impact to existing and potential donors. TEGA often runs internal research to help inform decisions within the organisation as well taking on external research projects for like-minded development and private sector organisations. The team plays a key role in ensuring we are a learning organisation, collecting and using data and insights to understand how we can maximise our reach & impact, and feeding that learning back into the organisation.
We have an exciting and varied portfolio of research planned in Tanzania, including formative research and creative and content testing on TEGA; impact evaluations for our donors; ongoing monitoring – of our digital products using analytics and other digital methods, and a range of other work.
So we are looking for an experienced researcher / M&E professional to manage the evidence work in Tanzania on a day-to-day basis and to be the in-country contact for our TEGA network’s local partner. They will independently run local qualitative research projects as well as managing the implementation of larger scale evaluations of our work in Tanzania, as part of a larger global team. The ideal candidate will be comfortable working across both qualitative and quantitative methods, excited to work across a range of programmes and have a flexible can-do attitude. We are looking for someone who is comfortable working independently and leading work when needed, but equally happy getting involved in the nitty gritty of fieldwork and analysis processes.
What’s most important is a solid grounding in a range of research techniques, proven experience of successfully managing substantial projects on the ground, excellent analysis and communication skills. In addition it will also be important for the successful candidate to have an adaptable, problem solving attitude.
What you’ll do
- Run research projects across Girl Effect Tanzania’s product portfolio, including tool design, data collection, data management and analysis, and report writing.
- Ensure timely, accurate monitoring of the Tanzania brand and products to understand how girls are engaging with our outputs.
- Work closely with the Global Senior Manager, Evidence and Insight to design and implement outcome evaluations, write Requests for Proposals and Terms of Reference for studies, develop indicators and research tools, advise on sampling strategies, and analyse and write up findings from the resulting data sets.
- Liaise with the local partner and the TEGA Research specialist to ensure the Tanzania TEGA network is conducting high quality, consistent research which leads to authentic insight into young people’s lives.
- Provide support to the TEGAs, giving feedback on their research and assisting in their training journeys.
- Work closely with external clients throughout the research process and share research findings back with partners in engaging ways.
- Provide technical expertise to research, monitoring and evaluation projects, working alongside London and country-based teams as required. You will advise on fit-for purpose designs suggesting qualitative and/or quantitative methodologies or other approaches (e.g. using digital methods or secondary data sources) as appropriate
- Ensure that Girl Effect’s ethical and safeguarding standards are upheld, and that field implementation is conducted to the highest standards, through training and oversight of field research partners.
- Ensure that research outputs are accessible, readily understandable and useful, ensuring they are utilised as much as possible
Who You Are
- Substantial experience (minimum 3 years) in research and/or monitoring and evaluation.
- Demonstrated experience in implementation of high quality qualitative and quantitative research design, fieldwork, data analysis and reporting.
- Experience in using innovative participatory research methods, especially with young people or girls specifically.
- Experience of designing, conducting and applying mixed methods (qualitative, quantitative and/or digital) research to support practical outcomes, preferably within one or more of the media, public health, communications or social change sectors.
- Strong qualitative and quantitative data analysis skills; proficient with data analysis software packages.
- Demonstrated experience in uncovering new insights and translating these into exciting, engaging reports and research outputs.
- Excellent organisation and project management skills; able to develop and drive research processes and timelines.
- Strong cultural awareness and sensitivity about the cultures within which Girl Effect operates.
- Creative and inquisitive mindset with strong communication and organisational skills.
- Commitment to realising the potential of girls and to the vision and values of Girl Effect.
- Fluent in Swahili and English, with a high level in writing in both languages
- Experience in training and mentoring others in research methods, data analysis and reporting.
- Expertise in one of either brand/media market strategy or social and behaviour change theory
- Technical/theoretical knowledge in one or more of Girl Effect’s thematic areas (e.g. gender, sexual and reproductive health, economic empowerment and education.)
- Experience working with digital analytics data (e.g. Facebook analytics, Google Analytics etc)
- Background in evaluating programmes that relate to women and girls
- Hands on experience of applied research in emerging markets or developing contexts.
What Else You Should Know
We are hugely ambitious for our future and we are looking for people who are driven by this to change the world for girls.
Our teams are a diverse mix across sectors (non-profit and commercial) and specialisms (from Brand and Creative through to Gender and Insight). You’ll learn and grow in an environment that will challenge you to think and work with a fresh perspective.
At Girl Effect, you can expect to work somewhere where you will be stretched and developed in your role, a place where you can build your career and work with talented, engaged people committed to our cause to create a lasting impact.
This role is being recruited as a 12 month fixed term contract.
Deadline to Apply: Wednesday 9th October 2019