Director of Advocacy and Population, Health & Environment (PHE) programs at Pathfinder International
- Company: Pathfinder International
- Location: Tanzania
- State: Tanzania Jobs
- Job type: Full-Time
- Job category: Administrative/Secretarial Jobs in Tanzania
Pathfinder is now seeking a highly motivated, self-driven, and experienced person to lead and manage Pathfinder Tanzania’s strategy for SRHR policy advocacy and integrated population, health & environment (PHE) programming. Responsible for effective implementation of advocacy and PHE programs, including provision of technical leadership, program design, staff management and leadership, work planning, financial oversight and timely reporting
- Minimum Qualification: Masters
- Experience Level: Senior level
- Experience Length: 10 years
Key Job Outcomes: Advocacy Policy and Programming Strategy: Seeks to develop SRHR champions in advocacy, policy communications and negotiations including government, women leaders, and civil society. Directs Pathfinder’s organizational strategy for policy and advocacy and policy- related programming. Works with Pathfinder leadership and program staff to determine organizational and global advocacy and policy priorities.
Key Job Outcomes:
- Advocacy Policy and Programming Strategy: Seeks to develop SRHR champions in advocacy, policy communications and negotiations including government, women leaders, and civil society. Directs Pathfinder’s organizational strategy for policy and advocacy and policy- related programming. Works with Pathfinder leadership and program staff to determine organizational and global advocacy and policy priorities.
- Advocacy Planning and Implementation: Leads the development of annual work planning, design, implementation, and reporting related to policy and advocacy technical activities. Establishes communication among other organizations, especially SRHR groups, to ensure an informed and coordinated response to policies, and an increased engagement by country organizations in advocacy.
- Technical Advising: Conceptualizes and provides leadership support for technical activities in SRHR policy, advocacy, and other related areas. Stays up-to- date on key developments in SRHR policy in developing countries to inform technical support activities in Pathfinder programs. Provides guidance and assistance to country programs in monitoring and evaluation and documentation of policy and advocacy results.
- Management and Supervision: Recruits, hires, trains and develops direct reports.
- Advocacy Reports and Documentation: Prepares SRHR and PHE policy analyses, recommendations, policy briefs, and assessments for Pathfinder programs. Supervises the dissemination of policy materials to audiences at the local, national and global levels.
- Bids and Proposals: Prepares bids and proposals in response to government, foundation and donor solicitation.
- Brand Ambassador: Serves as the public face for Pathfinder in the realm of global SRHR advocacy and PHE policy. Facilitates stakeholder consultation and meetings at the local, national and subnational levels. Represents Pathfinder in the SRHR policy area at regional and global forums, as well as with others in the professional community and countries.
- Project Management and Participation: Leads, manages or participates
Required Education, Training and Experience:
- Master’s degree or higher in public health, public administration, public policy or related field.
- 10 years’ experience working in advocacy and public policy.
- Expertise in citizen-led accountability work.
- Knowledge of PHE concepts
- At least 5 years’ experience of working in senior leadership position especially in NGOs
- Experience working on programs funded by multiple donors
Minimally Required Job-Specific Competencies:
- Strategies on Policy Issues: Mastery of skills in strategic communications with the public sector, private organizations and policy makers about relevant legislation, policies and procedures relating to SRHR and PHE.
- Advocacy Technical Solutions: Mastery of skills providing technical assistance, writing technical reports, and policy briefs targeted to decision makers.
- Relationship Management: Proven ability to manage donor relationships, including reporting and program work planning.
- Advocacy: Mastery of advocacy skills with advocacy assignments and tasks in the development sector projects.
- Public Sector Budget Process: Advanced knowledge of the budget formulation process of the public sector.
- Bids and Proposals: Ability to prepare bids and proposals in response to funding requests.
- Management and Supervision: Proven ability to lead and manage a team whose members work across the enterprise.
- Presentation Skills: Ability to speak publicly to large and small groups.
Minimally Required Organizational Competencies:
- Software Applications: Advanced knowledge of Microsoft Office applications, especially MS Word, PowerPoint and Outlook.
- Sexual and Reproductive Health and Rights Services: Knowledge of family planning and reproductive health principles, practices and services of assigned program, including program strategies and indicators.
- Project Management Planning and Management: Proven ability to plan and manage cross-functional initiatives, ensuring implementation fidelity
- Analysis and Sound Judgement: Advanced analytical and trouble shooting skills. Ability to make sound judgments. Ability to improve processes, promote excellence and demonstrate accuracy and thoroughness.
- Languages: Proven ability to write and speak Kiswahili and English language.
- Communication: Advanced oral and written communication skills using different forms of media. Ability to translate complex concepts to individuals at all levels. Ability to speak across a range of technical issues within individual’s area of expertise.
- Passion for Sexual and Reproductive Health Services: Demonstrated commitment to family planning, reproductive health services, gender, maternal, child health services, and eradication of harmful traditional practices
- Influencing and Customer Service Skills: Proven ability to influence using diplomacy skills with key stakeholders. In-depth demonstrated customer service skills.
- Organization, Planning and Multi-tasking: Advanced organizational and planning skills, project planning and management skills. Proven ability to set priorities, meet deadlines and multi-task with minimal supervision. Proven ability to coordinate activities.
- Self-Management and Teamwork: Ability to work independently or as a member of the team, ability to be detailed-oriented and consistently accurate, ability to manage stress effectively in a fast- paced environment, and ability to quickly learn new systems, processes and procedures and adapt local practices to global standards.
- Matrix Management: Proven ability to thrive in a matrixed organization.
- Confidentiality:Proven ability to maintain confidentiality on work- related issues.
Method of Application
Please manually apply for this job using the details below: Interested applicants are requested to submit their CV, including contact details for 3 references before the close of business on September 30,2019. Applications should be addressed to the Director for Human Resources and Administration, Pathfinder International, PO Box 77991, Dar es Salaam or sent via e-mail to [email protected] stating the position being applied for in the subject line. Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.