Conservation Enterprise and Marketing Officer at Tanzania People & Wildlife
- Company: Tanzania People & Wildlife
- Location: Tanzania
- State: Tanzania Jobs
- Job type: Full-Time
- Job category: Sales/Marketing Jobs in Tanzania
Position: Conservation Enterprise and Marketing Officer
Tanzania People & Wildlife is seeking to hire a qualified Conservation Enterprise and Marketing Officer
- Minimum Qualification: Bachelor
- Experience Level: Executive level
- Experience Length: 3 years
TPW’s Women’s Beekeeping Initiative empowers rural women through sustainable enterprise development. Honey harvested from beehives hung by women’s groups is jarred and sold under the Mama Asali brand. TPW is seeking a passionate, energetic and hard-working individual to fill the position of Conservation Enterprise and Marketing Officer. The successful candidate will be responsible for developing the Mama Asali brand into an income-generating, social enterprise for TPW and its community partners. Responsibilities will include developing the full hive to market value chain, developing women’s cooperatives, establishing market linkages between the cooperatives and larger resellers, and ensuring the overall profitability of the enterprise. Preference will be given to individuals with prior experience establishing a social enterprise in Tanzania, demonstrated ability to access East African markets, and/or a strong business background.
The successful candidate must have impressive communication and interpersonal skills, the ability to work in a multi-cultural environment with diverse stakeholders, and significant capability to work independently. This position will be based at the Noloholo Environmental Center but will require travel to remote program areas with limited facilities, safari camps and lodges, as well as urban marketplaces; applicants should enjoy a balance of travel and office time. Acting as a public emissary of TPW’s women’s enterprise program as well as an important role model for the 77+ women’s groups partnering with TPW, the successful candidate will exhibit strong leadership characteristics. A team player, the individual will coordinate and interact closely with TPW’s bee-keeping program officer as well as other team members. We anticipate the position will require equal amounts of time for program development, marketing and distribution of products, and reporting.
- Independently develop and implement a social enterprise based on bee products, including the full harvest to market value chain
- Oversee the development of marketing materials, secure clients, and create distribution mechanisms for Mama Asali honey and future additional by-products (candles, soap, etc.)
- Build and maintain strong client relationships with safari companies, lodges, shopkeepers and distribution centers for all enterprise-related products and services
- Act as a public emissary of TPW’s programs, particularly in terms of its women’s initiative
The successful candidate should have a Bachelor’s or equivalent degree in business, enterprise development and/or finance. We are looking for an individual with the ability to independently develop a social enterprise. This requires exceptional leadership and communication skills and an entrepreneurial spirit. Preference will be given to candidates with prior small business development experience, particularly as it relates to women’s initiatives.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent work experience in one of the above fields
- Proven experience in small business development
- Experience with product distribution, including marketing and communication
- Excellent skills with Microsoft Office
- Strong interpersonal skills, including training and capacity building, and respect for other cultures
- Passionate concern for wildlife, local communities and TPW’s mission
- Willingness to live and work in remote field settings
- Excellent spoken and written English skills; proficiency in the Maa language is preferred
Reports to: TPW Chief Program Officer
Salary & Benefits: Full-time position based on experience and qualifications; salary commensurate
with experience. Basic housing and food provided onsite. Contract is grant dependent, currently expiring in October 2021.
Method of Application
Please manually apply for this job using the details below: To Apply: Tanzania People & Wildlife is an equal opportunity employer. Interested candidates should send the following to [email protected] with Conservation Enterprise and Marketing Officer in the subject line by October 15th, 2019: 1. Resume 2. Contact Information 3. Three references 4. Cover letter outlining interest in applying for the post, along with relevant experience, qualifications, and skills