Barclays Bank Jobs in Tanzania : Head of Business Strategy
Welcome to JobwebTanzania.com. This website helps you to achieve your career dream by linking you to vacancies from Top Companies in Tanzania. Job Seekers are also exposed to best articles for career growth and development. Click Here to Subscribe for Job Alerts We strongly advise graduates not to pay money before getting a Job. Report fraudulent jobs to [email protected]
- Company: Barclays Bank
- Location: Tanzania
- State: Dar Es Salaam Jobs
- Job type: Full-Time
- Job category: Banking Jobs in Tanzania
To be accountable for the delivery of a portfolio of strategic transformational programmes within BA10 and across Africa, through a small but high quality team of portfolio, project and programme managers and analysts. To build and grow that team as required, whilst adhering to appropriate governance.
Responsible for coordinating, monitoring and reporting activities and work streams linked to the deconsolidation and separation activities of Barclays PLC from Barclays Africa Group Limited. Ensure key work stream on separation have a clear ownership and are delivered within agreed time and budgets. Establish the right forums through which issues are escalated to the central separation team.
Responsible for the managing and delivery of the agreed country book of work (portfolio of projects). The jobholder will represent the Bank and will have key influence with local executives up to MD level as well as key stakeholders within the Country Management Committees (CMC)
Support the MD in all aspects of the business and strategic management ensuring that management of the country is effective. The role holder is responsible for all MD staff related activities e.g. design of key reports/ presentations/ templates, communications, office management and project tracking/reporting.
Accountable for special projects assigned by the MD. These projects will provide scope for leading virtual teams and will provide an opportunity to gain greater hands-on exposure to the country operations.
Provide financial leadership and support to the Country Management Committee and offer guidance from a financial perspective to the business around the developing and measurement of businesses strategic goals. Drive operational understanding of the financial impact of decisions made.
Valpre Programme Execution and Leadership ( 35%)
Strategic alignment within BBT: Outputs to deliver this accountability:
• Ensure change initiatives are aligned to BBT strategy, work with business owners to identify change opportunities and relevant business cases are developed
• Work with EPMO, Strategy, Finance, Risk, Enterprise Architecture and Integrated Planning to align budgets to priorities, consider scares resources (e.g. costs, IT, capacity) and to ensure that benefits cases are captured in financial plans.
• Improving efficiency by ensuring BBT BU’s are aligned directionally through significant contribution to the debate on solutions approaches strategies to effect transformational change across the organization, as well If required projects are consolidated, processes are standardized and horizontal processes are Implemented
• Ensure effective governance frameworks are implemented
Resolve high-level issues regarding the business’s change portfolio through providing mitigating actions and driving the implementation of these actions.
Relationship and Stakeholder Management: Outputs to deliver this accountability:
• Liaise and engage with various internal Stakeholders to secure their respective support in the implementation of transformation strategies and also ensuring capacity exists to implement the change.
• Review and report transformation performance and trends to the respective EXCO, as well as their stakeholders, manage and influence wider team individuals to deliver transformation programme and keep to the agreed timelines and commitments.
• Interact with executive management to appraise them of developments and progress in implementing transformation frameworks, processes and standards.
• Manage key stake holders across the business by ensuring their issues, objectives and priorities are reflected in the agreed solutions both individually and through delegation and management of subordinates.
• Liaise with executives within the cluster and outside the portfolio to support key programmes by communicating project intent and obtaining buy-in and resource allocation for delivery of the key components.
• Support business in the conversion of data extracts into relevant reports and data sets as required (which includes compiling Management information and ad-hoc queries) by converting underlying raw data into useful information according to Business requirements, while adhering to agreed deadlines.
Transformation Delivery: Outputs to deliver this accountability:
• Prepare the In-country steerco deck with all the updates from different in-country work streams, and critical projects impacting BBT reputational and customer services, pipeline projects as well systems for Board and BOT approvals.
• Must work with Legal and Compliance team to understand the service agreements which are related to projects and systems impacting BBT operations.
• Accountable for overall separation budget, resources, deliverables and to mobilize the portfolio managers to drive quality programmes, project management, and ensure adequate but non-cumbersome governance is in place.
• Work with the centralized Strategic change team and Change Management specialist to provide a coordinated, quality delivery service to the organization.
• Together with Sourcing, monitor the performance of external suppliers and engage with other internal parties to review supplier contracts if required.
• Ensure that at all times BBT is getting best value for money for all project spend by strong commercial management and rigorous cost control.
• Ensure that portfolio managers create effective workforce plans and recruitment demand plans for their areas. Determine which projects should be managed by team members and which ones should be contracted out.
• Drive end to end delivery through the portfolio managers through robust project planning and reporting to ensure that overdue items are brought back in line or renegotiate delivery times.
• Oversee the execution of all projects, programmes and initiatives through the portfolio managers.
• Ensure a framework is put in place for portfolio managers to deal with reporting of key scope changes, target dates, milestones financial reporting and risk registers.
• Ensure that the framework covers escalation requirements and process
• Plan knowledge sharing through engagement with key global stakeholders and alignment of programmes BAGL.
• Ensure, for all new strategic projects that a thorough risk assessment is conducted to determine the interdependencies between projects and the impact imposed changes may have on business. Review recommendations prepared by the team on how to address these and determine whether the risk and mitigation is adequate or the change should be altered or declined.
• Determine targets and take accountability for the overall achievement of performance objectives in the business in terms of employee satisfaction, customer experience, cost performance, return on investments, risk and compliance and governance requirements.
• Ensure smooth transaction of the program me to business as usual with a focus on continued delivery after closure.
• Ensure that portfolio managers conform to group’s change methodology for all programmes and initiatives undertaken by the area and that they review programme documentation/evidence for each component prior to requesting quality assurance reviews on the work completed. Ensure that findings raised on quality assurance are addressed.
• Establish the frame for portfolio, programme and project reporting according to the frequencies determined by the key stakeholders. Prepare a consolidated executive summary for the BA10 portfolio based on the key risks, issues and milestones.
• Co-ordinate, manage, present and prepare reports for the BA Strategic Change Council.
• Co-ordinate, manage and Co-ordinate the efforts of the different teams under management to ensure minimal duplication of efforts, maximum efficiency and to maximize value for money
• Assist finance in the MTP and STP preparations and discussions regarding change.
• Ensure timely and adequate reporting to the BAGL strategic change function
Outputs to deliver this accountability:
• Support the Managing Director to deliver business growth by providing value-creating business back-office support.
• Understand Barclays Bank Tanzania and Barclays Africa operating policies and procedures necessary to ensure appropriate organizational decision-making protocols are understood and followed.
• Assist in relationship building with various BARCLAYS AFRICA stakeholders, regulators and key constituencies.
• Builds Industry networks to increase communication/knowledge sharing & disseminate valuable insights
• Identify, develop, and distribute relevant content to and across New Markets Senior Leadership teams.
• Plan key committee and board meetings, including tracking, monitoring and follow-up on the progress of projects, action items, strategies that emanate from MD’s office, management committee, etc.; board presentations, prepare agendas, develop memos, management reports, communication, correspondence; identify meeting participants; collect, prepare, and distribute appropriate briefing materials; initiate subsequent follow-up meetings and communication for key stakeholders as directed; anticipate and identify issues for discussion at key management meetings while coordinating with New Markets Executive Leadership team.
• Work with Executive Assistant to the MD to ensure accuracy of calendar, review mail and draft responses as appropriate, or forward to the appropriate person for response and/or reply. Perform other related duties incidental to the work described herein.
• Develop advanced knowledge of emerging markets, including industry trends, competitor information, industry services and solutions and their impact on industry clients.
• Coordinate/lead Regional New Markets and Country business performance review meetings
• Oversee business-wide initiative coordination regarding strategic initiatives.
• Strong interface with CFO and hands on coordination of expense management initiatives
• Critical issue management and follow up with businesses and support functions on behalf of the MD.
• Create strong relationships with the MD’s direct reports and across the business in order to create smooth working relationships and efficiencies.
• Interact with MD’s country functions especially with regard to implementing Group standards and policies and efficiently transfer product knowledge/best practices to new businesses and markets.
• Follow up on agreed targets to deliver on savings and bottom line performance with businesses.
• Ensure timely and consistent best execution of initiatives and business as usual activities within personal accountabilities.
• Ensure an effective system of internal and external communication.
• Represent BBT in industry / sector groups and forums as required by the MD.
Financial Leadership & Business Support: Output to deliver this accountability,
• Provide direction to Country Management Committee ( CMC) based on analytical review of the Business Performance and an understanding of key business drivers
• Provide clear direction to the CMC on what the business requirements and imperatives are by translating current business performance into actionable business objectives aimed and driving and improving performance.
• Work with centre strategy function to design, deliver and implement the 5 year strategic roadmap for Barclays Tanzania. Translate business strategy into meaningful operational targets for the business units. Ensure that the focus areas are disseminated to all levels in the business unit
• Represent the businesses at a Finance level, negotiate and secure the budget and plans for the business unit and together with the CMCs take accountability to ensure the delivery on the promised business results.
• Negotiate with the various stakeholders on the targets set and drive the overall achievement of performance objectives in the business unit through the performance management function within the required business parameters.
• Drive change proactively aimed at continuous improvement in all areas of the business.
Understand the requirements and mechanics of Economic / Regulatory Capital and Risk Weighted Assets as required by Basel III for Credit and Operational Risk. Support the business with the determination of the optimal usage of capital working within the constraints laid down by the Balance Sheet Management Committee
• Understand the requirements of Value Based management and help the business implement the principles and measurement capabilities
Financial Management and Business Partnering: Output to deliver this accountability
• Work with business units heads to determine their performance reporting (financial and non-financial) needs and agree deliverables on an annual basis
• Define and instruct team on the formatting of management reports, and if required contract with system developers and data providers to develop the reports
• Ensure “one version of the truth” for all reporting and that management reporting reconciles/agrees to reports produced within other areas of the business
• Review the variance analyses for the different business units as prepared by the team and discuss major variances, on the cost and income sides, with business heads to gain, understanding of the reasons and overall business performance.
• Review transfer pricing arrangements in place and recharges across the business areas. On a monthly basis review reports to ensure that the charges processed are accurate and address concerns directly with the finance team
• Lead investigations into cost saving initiatives and make comprehensive recommendations to the business units
• On request from project/change teams, provide input and support during the development of business case financials for new projects or initiatives
People Management 5%
• Together with the In-country Director of HR, determine the people management strategy for the area with a focus on talent management, development, resourcing and retention.
• Build a quality team who are skilled in recognized portfolio, programme and project Methodology.
• Provide continuous people development and mentoring activities to portfolio managers and senior team to achieve excellent business results
• Ensure the development of a high-performing team through embedding formal performance development (PD) and informal strengths based coaching
• Recruit and develop a high quality team of project and programme delivery specialists
• Ensure Barclays culture and values are embedded in the team
• Coach the management team on how to conduct meaningful discussions with their direct reports and ensure that they conduct the process effectively
• Approve training and development needs for portfolio managers and ensure they do the same for their teams. Ensure that identified training is budgeted for and executed
• Monitor and maintain a succession plan for key roles using formal Talent Management process for identified talent and approve succession plans for remaining roles
• Review the outcome of the Talent Review process and approve nominations for the portfolio
• Action support from the HRBP to interview and recruit direct reports and provide support to them during the recruitment of their teams on request.
• Review requests from team leaders for headcount changes. Recommend approve or decline requests with reasons
• Approve leave requests for direct reports and ensure that they manage the leave planning for their teams effectively.
• Act as highest escalation point for all grievances raised in the department.
• Ensure that all poor performance is adequately dealt with. Review APA reports to determine effectiveness of interventions.
• Ensure employees in the department are motivated and their efforts are recognized and rewarded.
• Develop discussions with direct reports and ensure that they conduct the process effectively.
Education and Experience Required
• Considerable Experience on Transformation delivery, leading and driving change, Programme Management.
• At least 10 years’ experience in Business and financial industry in particular
Preferred / Advantage
• 10 years’ experience in managing large scale transformation projects.
A Bachelor’s degree; Master’s in Business Administration or relevant discipline.
Knowledge & Skills:
(Please choose the right proficiency level for each role (basic, limited, advanced, expert)
• Preparing Power point slides and presentation skills (expert)
• Understanding of business process (expert)
• An in-depth understanding of Business Systems and Technology requirements (advanced)
• Extensive Project Management skills – PMBOK (expert)
• Networking and relationship management (expert)
• Influencing senior stakeholders (expert)
• Strong influencing and negotiating skills (expert)
• Relationship management at executive level (advanced)
• Deep understanding of Barclays processes and systems (advanced)
• Commercial awareness (advanced)
• Manage a varied portfolio of activities (expert)
• Competencies (Minimum of 4, maximum of 8 competencies)
• Formulating strategies and concepts (Expert)
• Deciding and initiating action
• Delivering results and meeting business expectations
• Planning and organizing ( expert)
• Leading and supervising (expert)
• Presenting and communication ( Advanced)
• Persuading and influencing