ActionAid Denmark Jobs in Tanzania : Director of Operations – MS TCDC
Welcome to JobwebTanzania.com. This website helps you to achieve your career dream by linking you to vacancies from Top Companies in Tanzania. Job Seekers are also exposed to best articles for career growth and development. Click Here to Subscribe for Job Alerts We strongly advise graduates not to pay money before getting a Job. Report fraudulent jobs to [email protected]
- Company: ActionAid Denmark
- Location: Tanzania
- State: Dar Es Salaam Jobs
- Job type: Full-Time
- Job category: Administrative/Secretarial Jobs in Tanzania
MS TCDC is looking for a strong Director of Operations for our vibrant and ambitious social enterprise – a Training Centre based in Arusha, Tanzania. Do you want to contribute to ensuring that the financial and administrative functions of a medium sized training and convening facility are well-managed and retaining the highest standards?
Then this is the job for you.
MS ActionAid Denmark – MS TCDC
MS ActionAid Denmark (MS AADK) fights poverty by promoting the political empowerment of the world’s poor.
MS AADK supports long-term development work, education programs and campaigns as well as cross border exchange of experience and knowledge between people. Please see further information here (www.ms.dk) The training center located in Arusha, Tanzania, is part of MS AADK. The Centre employs more than 50 full time staff and 60 associates/consultants and provides high quality transformative development training and consultancy services to Action Aid International and other civil society organizations and their partners. The Centre also offers Swahili language and African culture orientation courses, academic programs, rental of conference, lodging and boarding facilities. Please find more information here: www.mstcdc.or.tz.
The position, responsibilities and tasks
You have the day to day responsibility for all financial and administrative (F&A) matters. You will be responsible for achieving the set goals within F&A including financial, HR or procedural objectives. And you are responsible for ensuring that guidelines and procedures are followed as set by MS AADK, in close collaboration with the Finance Department of MS AADK.
You report to the Executive Director of MS TCDC, who has the final responsibility at the executive level. Together with the Executive Director and the Program Director, you make up the Leadership Team of MS TCDC and thus contribute to the overall management and development of the Centre. The Operations and Program Directors are jointly responsible for the day to day busi-ness of MS TCDC under the leadership of the Executive Director.
You have direct responsibility for a team comprising six operating units/departments, namely Finance, Quality Assurance, Catering, Front Óffice and Course Administration, FacilityManagement and Human Resources. Each unit has a team leader and staff.
An illustrative listing of the tasks entailed will include:
- Update and maintain TCDC’s financial software, Navision,
- Prepare and update Budgets in collaboration with MS TCDC departments, including monthly follow-up. Ensure monthly and annual accounts to MS AADK are submitted in keeping with MS AADK standards.
- Maintain and update cooperation with the Tanzania Revenue Authority.
- Initiate and monitor the annual audit and supervise the closure of the exercise.
- Maintain and update guidelines in all areas of MS TCDC.
- Provide professional assistance and back-up to the Facilities Manager within store management, internal and external procurement for the entire Centre.
- Strengthen cost-effectiveness and quality of service delivery by the Finance and Administration department of MS TCDC.
- Update and strengthen staff skills within the Finance and Administration department.
- Supervise IT implementation and maintenance at MS TCDC, including continued digitalization of administrative matters.
- Supervise the Security section as the Security Focal Point and act on security issues that can harm MS TCDC.
- Overall responsibility for the HR function within MS TCDC including;
- Responsibility for contracts and conditions; writing, maintain and ensuring compliance
- Maintaining and developing HR structural framework, such as personnel reports, yearly staff interviews, oversight over leaves and absence and the like.
- Handle personnel cases of varying character.
- Initiate bi-annual negotiations with the local labor union (RAAWU).
Day to day responsibilities:
On a typical day you might be required to address a few personnel related issues; monitor maintenance works on campus; seek solutions to IT accessibility concerns, provide mentoring support to a staff member and oversee the preparation of reporting on finances. Aside of this you will be expected to participate in regular meetings including:
- weekly MS TCDC Leadership Team meetings
- monthly MS TCDC Management Forum meetings
- bi-monthly AADK/MS TCDC Technical Committee meetings
- bi-annual Partnership Board meetings
As Director of Operations you must be prepared to be both hands-on and strategic, i.e. you will be involved in both solving and overseeing concrete tasks and in more overall leadership issues such as business development and strategy development. It will be considered an asset if you have a commercial mindset and have experience from a social enterprise.
To fulfill your position, you will need to lead and manage a streamlined operational setup, which supports the program activities of the Centre based on a high level of service and well-functioning systems and structures. But you will also need to contribute to the overall success of the Centre by demonstrating strategic leadership and help develop the business of MS TCDC e.g. by seeking out new growth opportunities in both training offers and in auxiliary areas such as support services and rental of facilities.
In order for the Director of Operations to be successful in this position, we consider the following qualifications as needed:
- Degree in Business/Economics, or similar relevant education.
- Minimum 5 years of experience with financial management, budgeting, and accounting. Experience with personnel administration.
- Knowledge of Danish Finance legislation and auditing principles.
- Fluency in written and spoken English.
Moreover, the following criteria are desirable:
- Prior working experience in Africa.
- Knowledge of development work, intercultural cooperation and conflict resolution. Previous experience in a business enterprise or a training centre.
- Knowledge of personal data protection as well as IT systems such as Microsoft office, Microsoft Office 365, CRM systems, and Navision.
The Director of Operations should possess the following personal qualities:
- Ability to delegate responsibility and involving employees in decision making and work planning.
- Cultural and social sensitivity and ability to work and cooperate with a wide range of different groups in a multicultural team.
- Well-developed communication skills.
- Flexibility and willingness to put in the extra effort when needed.
- Political and diplomatic flair and entrepreneurial instincts.
- You are aware of your own efficiency, possess initiative and know how to prioritize tasks, whether these are your own or those of your team members. You work with a positive and open outlook, even in tense, high pressure situations.
- You see and acknowledge your colleagues and challenge them with constructive criticism, align expectations and reduce waste and bottlenecks.
MS AADK offers
- The position based in Arusha, Tanzania, in a dynamic working environment with non-formal atmosphere.
- A basic salary under AADK international terms and conditions – grade F, relocation and education allowance when relevant. Housing is provided by TCDC.
- You will live and work in a well-functioning, beautiful and largely cosmopolitan campus.
- A basic salary in agreement with AAI salary system with a fixed term contract for 3 years, with the possibility of extension.
Sparring and support from managers and professional colleagues, opportunity to influence your job and organization as well as development opportunities
- Flexible working hours, ensuring a good work/life balance.